View Poll Results: What is your status?
Single 67 54.03%
Married 29 23.39%
GF/BF or significant other 28 22.58%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Are you single, married, or do you have a gf/bf?

by gravenewworld
Tags: gf or bf, married, single
Cyrus
Jul17-08, 05:19 PM
P: 4,780
Quote Quote by LowlyPion View Post
Surely you are speaking for yourself.

There are all sorts of relationships and reasons for people to come together than merely the physical one that you seem so keen to focus on.

While your view may be representative of a particular class of people, even a large class of people, and while your view may be that this is why others date, you do not have the hubris to suggest that you speak for the whole class of all people that date, I should hope.
I'd say thats a fair enough assessment.
Cyrus
Jul17-08, 05:22 PM
Quote Quote by rewebster View Post
yeah, I think I do understand where that attitude comes from---and, yes, you don't have to care what I think, or what anyone thinks
Let me put it this way. You might like a girl that looks polar opposite from what I like. Thats your choice. I dont care if you like that or not, and you dont have to explain it to me. If its what you like, then its what you like. You dont need to justify it to me.
lisab
Jul17-08, 05:22 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Is it just me, or are PFers a tad testy today ?
rewebster
Jul17-08, 05:28 PM
P: 880
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
Let me put it this way. You might like a girl that looks polar opposite from what I like. Thats your choice. I dont care if you like that or not, and you dont have to explain it to me. If its what you like, then its what you like. You dont need to justify it to me.
well, since you know more than me (if that's what you think)---

and I agree with your statement:

What is odd to you is not odd to me.

I dont have to defend anything to you, because I dont care if you agree or not. Im not trying to change your mind. Im stating the things that I like; thus, I dont have to justify jack squat to anyone.
LowlyPion
Jul17-08, 05:38 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,346
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Your imagination, surely.
Lacy33
Jul17-08, 05:38 PM
P: 335
Lisa,
I think "testy" would apply to men and I'm beginning to think not all the men involved here are 100% men.
I'm so sorry this happened.
It was such an enjoyable topic and I was so happy to share things of relationships with others.
My heart is breaking that this turned into a war, but Lisa, if a battered woman backs down, she looses a part of that soul that was saved when she successfully ran for her life.
This is an important topic and I think it should be discussed, But of course not here.
rewebster
Jul17-08, 05:40 PM
you DO know what "testy" is short for, don't you?

(me, testy?)
turbo
Jul17-08, 05:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Look up Testarosa and see what comes up.
Cyrus
Jul17-08, 05:44 PM
Quote Quote by Shoshana View Post
Lisa,
I think "testy" would apply to men and I'm beginning to think not all the men involved here are 100% men.
I'm so sorry this happened.
It was such an enjoyable topic and I was so happy to share things of relationships with others.
My heart is breaking that this turned into a war, but Lisa, if a battered woman backs down, she looses a part of that soul that was saved when she successfully ran for her life.
This is an important topic and I think it should be discussed, But of course not here.
No your not. You sent me a PM insulting me and then plastered your private PM to me here for everyone to see.

Stop playing the victim. No one here is talking about beating or hitting women other than YOU. Whats that got ANYTHING to do with what were talking about?

And you have the gall to say not everyone here is 100% man. Act your age.
rewebster
Jul17-08, 05:47 PM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Look up Testarosa and see what comes up.
do they make a motorcycle too?
Math Is Hard
Jul17-08, 05:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
I think this thread needs a time out. Just long enough for everyone's blood pressure to go down, at least.
Moonbear
Jul17-08, 06:03 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
I find that girls from the mediterranean, israel, and middle east, have that type of look. Sometimes central and south america too.

What I dont like is that pale eastern european, red hair very fair skin type of woman with blonde hair and blue eyes.
Well, why didn't you just say that from the get-go. There's a difference between preferring the darker-skinned women because it is typical of their ethnic/racial group and insisting women all need to get tans.

By the way, my objection to your earlier comments in the thread had to do with how you phrased your statements. You made it sound like you were berating women who did not meet your tastes, like they were less of a woman because they had different tastes than you. It is one thing to say you like a woman who is very feminine without a lot of make-up, and dark-haired, dark-skinned, and yet another to complain that women who wear men's shorts and t-shirts on campus should all start wearing a different style of clothing for your sake. Perhaps they wear that type of clothing so superficial men won't be ogling their bodies all day.
rewebster
Jul17-08, 06:05 PM
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
I think this thread needs a time out. Just long enough for everyone's blood pressure to go down, at least.
OK--I'll go read the redneck thread
Cyrus
Jul17-08, 06:10 PM
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Well, why didn't you just say that from the get-go. There's a difference between preferring the darker-skinned women because it is typical of their ethnic/racial group and insisting women all need to get tans.

By the way, my objection to your earlier comments in the thread had to do with how you phrased your statements. You made it sound like you were berating women who did not meet your tastes, like they were less of a woman because they had different tastes than you. It is one thing to say you like a woman who is very feminine without a lot of make-up, and dark-haired, dark-skinned, and yet another to complain that women who wear men's shorts and t-shirts on campus should all start wearing a different style of clothing for your sake. Perhaps they wear that type of clothing so superficial men won't be ogling their bodies all day.
Olive skin. I stated it in post #168 near the very very start of this whole mess! But no one is reading what I write. They glaze over it and just jump down my throat with false conclusions....

http://physicsforums.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=168

No, I dont berate women because I dont waste my time talking to girls that walk around in boy shorts, or wear lots of makeup, or any of the things I dont like. Thats what's pissing me off to no end. I dont approach them and try to date them, so how can I possibly be treating them bad when I just AVOID them!?
Moonbear
Jul17-08, 06:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I have never seen my mother wear any makeup or nail polish my entire life. She hates the stuff, and its probably why I like girls that dont wear it. The only times women look good is when its very very very sutble.
Actually, this is a perfect example of where your wording is the problem here. Maybe it's the only time YOU like the way a woman looks, but it does not mean it is the only time a woman looks good. The way you phrase this makes it sound like you think your view is the end all, be all for all women's appearances. Sorry, but while you may have your tastes, don't try suggesting someone should do things your way all the time. If a woman wants to cake on her make-up, wear Army boots, mens pants, and get a tattoo, that is her choice, not yours. You don't have to date her, but that doesn't mean she doesn't look good, even if it's only for herself. One of the things I don't like in men is when they have that crappy attitude that women must dress or act certain ways to please them...horse ****! Don't like the woman as she is, move on, don't try to tell them to change.
Moonbear
Jul17-08, 06:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
No, I dont berate women because I dont waste my time talking to girls that walk around in boy shorts, or wear lots of makeup, or any of the things I dont like. Thats what's pissing me off to no end. I dont approach them and try to date them, so how can I possibly be treating them bad when I just AVOID them!?
That's already berating them. You're considering them lesser than you, not even worthy of talking to, simply because of how they dress. They could be very interesting people, intelligent, witty, with a lot to share, but because you're so hung up on appearances, you don't even want to consider them...you think they're beneath you and your fancy clothes.
Cyrus
Jul17-08, 06:18 PM
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Actually, this is a perfect example of where your wording is the problem here. Maybe it's the only time YOU like the way a woman looks, but it does not mean it is the only time a woman looks good. The way you phrase this makes it sound like you think your view is the end all, be all for all women's appearances. Sorry, but while you may have your tastes, don't try suggesting someone should do things your way all the time. If a woman wants to cake on her make-up, wear Army boots, mens pants, and get a tattoo, that is her choice, not yours. You don't have to date her, but that doesn't mean she doesn't look good, even if it's only for herself. One of the things I don't like in men is when they have that crappy attitude that women must dress or act certain ways to please them...horse ****! Don't like the woman as she is, move on, don't try to tell them to change.
Sure it does. What looks good depends on the person who is viewing. That does NOT mean what shes wearing look good to me. If she thinks that looks good to her personally, thats her own perception. Thats NOT how I view her. I dont care if she thinks she looks great wearing boy shorts and t-shirt, I dont like that. Thats my preference.

And now your putting words into my mouth! I also said im not trying to change anyone when I replied to binzing.

Man everyones taking what I say out of context left and right, this is outrageous!
Moonbear
Jul17-08, 06:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Many everyones taking what I say out of context left and right, this is outrageous!
Maybe you should consider how you're saying things if it seems EVERYONE is taking it the wrong way?

Register to reply