Tags: None
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Aug15-08, 11:50 PM
Admin
P: 9,578
Piled Higher & Deeper by Jorge Cham
www.phdcomics.com
title: "What you know vs How much you know about it" - originally published 8/15/2008 For the latest news in PHD Comics, CLICK HERE!

More...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
Gokul43201
Aug16-08, 08:43 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
From Murphy's Laws, Chapter: Experts

Weber's Definition : An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
Doc Al
Aug16-08, 09:05 AM
Mentor
P: 41,489
Hilarious. This is getting posted on my office door. (Maybe people will stop bothering me.)

CompuChip
Aug16-08, 09:27 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
08/15/08 PHD comic: 'What you know vs How much you know about it'

Gokul, I remember having heard your quote, but somewhere else.
But it's a nice comic nonetheless. Currently, I'm nicely in the center of the graph... I think I'll stay there for a while :)
BobG
Aug17-08, 08:35 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Quote Quote by CompuChip View Post
Gokul, I remember having heard your quote, but somewhere else.
But it's a nice comic nonetheless. Currently, I'm nicely in the center of the graph... I think I'll stay there for a while :)
I've heard that,too.
Moonbear
Aug21-08, 05:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Pretty funny. One of our faculty getting ready to retire is fond of saying his goals for the year are to do nothing...well. Seems to fit pretty well with that chart.
LightbulbSun
Aug25-08, 10:26 PM
P: 362
Blah, lame. I don't approve of this chart. It's saying ignorance is ok.
humanino
Aug25-08, 10:45 PM
P: 2,828
Quote Quote by LightbulbSun View Post
Blah, lame. I don't approve of this chart. It's saying ignorance is ok.
It's not. One's awareness of her/his own ignorance grows with knowledge anyway. This graph contains quite a bit of insight.
LightbulbSun
Aug26-08, 01:12 AM
Quote Quote by humanino View Post
It's not. One's awareness of her/his own ignorance grows with knowledge anyway. This graph contains quite a bit of insight.
Saying that increasing your knowledge has a direct relationship with knowing less is approving of ignorance. I understand it can be interpreted as you are more aware of knowing there is much more to discover and therefore you realize you know less than what you previously thought, but it can also be interpreted as approving of perpetual and willful ignorance.
Doc Al
Aug26-08, 05:40 AM
Mentor
Lighten up. It's a joke!
LightbulbSun
Aug26-08, 09:24 AM
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
Lighten up. It's a joke!
I understand it's a joke, but people let their guard down with comedy. Too often people reaffirm their beliefs through comedy.
humanino
Aug26-08, 09:26 AM
I understand it's a joke, but people let their guard down with comedy. Too often people reaffirm their beliefs through comedy.
The joke is directed to people who have devoted their life to knowledge. By the time you have become a world expert in your field, maybe a field you have created, you deserve to be ironical about the time you spent deepening your understanding of a problem nobody else really cares about.
Doc Al
Aug26-08, 09:53 AM
Mentor
So you seriously think that folks with PhDs are anti-knowledge?
Math Is Hard
Aug26-08, 07:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
Saying that increasing your knowledge has a direct relationship with knowing less is approving of ignorance. I understand it can be interpreted as you are more aware of knowing there is much more to discover and therefore you realize you know less than what you previously thought, but it can also be interpreted as approving of perpetual and willful ignorance.
mmm...no. You missed the joke.
LightbulbSun
Aug26-08, 10:19 PM
The joke is directed to people who have devoted their life to knowledge.
And this is a problem how?

By the time you have become a world expert in your field, maybe a field you have created, you deserve to be ironical about the time you spent deepening your understanding of a problem nobody else really cares about.
People don't care about a lot of stuff because they much rather be ignorant. This doesn't make time devoted to a particular subject wasteful.
LightbulbSun
Aug26-08, 10:20 PM
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
So you seriously think that folks with PhDs are anti-knowledge?
No? I'm saying that this comic can be looked at as an appeal to ignorance. Its message isn't clear enough.
humanino
Aug26-08, 10:47 PM
And this is a problem how?
This is not a problem to me at all. I found the joke funny. It seems to be a problem to you.
People don't care about a lot of stuff because they much rather be ignorant. This doesn't make time devoted to a particular subject wasteful.
You will notice that I said "once one has become a world expert, one deserves the right to be ironical about it" which implies that the person who her/him-self spent all this time (so certainly does not consider it a waste) has the right to have humor from the perspective of what she/he has accomplished compared to the initial hopes. At some point one looks back to the graduate student years, when one thought to know everything, and now can really come to the conclusion "yes, I can say I know too much in this field" <---- JOKE.

No? I'm saying that this comic can be looked at as an appeal to ignorance. Its message isn't clear enough.
The message is not clear to you only.
LightbulbSun
Aug27-08, 01:16 AM
This is not a problem to me at all. I found the joke funny. It seems to be a problem to you.
It's a problem to me because I've seen far too many people reaffirm their crappy beliefs through comedy. See Bill Hicks or George Carlin for prime examples of this. I doubt this comic will get as high of a following, but what's with a comic on PhD people? I don't understand the premise of it. Great, we get it, just because you have a title doesn't mean you're a genius, but it increases the likelihood.

I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but I just prefer my comedy to be a little more original than this comic strip.

Register to reply