Register to reply

Feyman Diagrams - Best book to read?

by Simone_beet
Tags: book, diagrams, feyman
Share this thread:
Simone_beet
Aug6-08, 08:42 PM
P: 7
Hello - Physics & calculus are what I can best describe as hobbies for me. Hobbies in the sense that I love these topics but work a regular job as an IT Manager through the day and then read whatever I can get my hands on in regards to these topics while 'burning the midnight oil'. Not sure if I have landed on a personal favorite among quantum physics, classical physics, or relativity. My college degree is in Economics. Interesting mix, I guess? None the less, on to my question for you: can someone recommend a good book that explains Feyman diagrams, how they grew out of the QED theory, and so on? I am currently reading a book called 'Quantum Gravity' - Smolin and think that I want to delve into these elusive Feyman diagrams next. Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
mal4mac
Aug25-08, 03:31 AM
P: 1,100
Wot. No answers? You've upset them by getting the gurus name wrong :-)

Do a google search on "Feynman diagrams".
Simone_beet
Aug25-08, 05:49 PM
So that's the reason. I hadn't noticed before your reply. oops. My most humblest apologies to everyone and especially to the late & near-and-dear-to-our-physics-hearts, Richard Feynman. Possibly, I can further atone by quoting a passage from Nobel Laureate Julian Schwinger, in his obituary of Feynman in "Physics Today", February 1989 -- "So spoke an honest man; the outstanding intuitionist of our age and a prime example of what may lie in store for anyone who dares to follow the beat of a different drum." This was taken from a beginning set of pages in my copy of "Feynman's Rainbow" which is subtitled as a search for beauty in physics and in life. Light reading for those who are interested in the personal side of the genius. Thank you for your replies. p.s. I have been researching via watching recommended videos and the other internet sources.

robphy
Aug25-08, 06:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,130
Feyman Diagrams - Best book to read?

possibly useful introduction:
http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/theory/feynman.html
mal4mac
Aug26-08, 07:01 AM
P: 1,100
Maybe "Deep Down Things: The Breathtaking Beauty of Particle Physics" Bruce A. Schumm?

Try amazon look inside to see if it has what you want.
Simone_beet
Aug26-08, 06:32 PM
I have browsed the Fermi-Lab website but didn't the SLAC website, as yet. Thank you for the tip. What I will also be scouting around for, too, is some insight into how the physicists look at the collector materials from a particle accelerator experiment and see a new 'flavor' or aspect of the various quarks or other sub-atomic guys. The news item on the SLAC sites homepage shows a team who have just (July 9, 2008) detected and measured "the lowest energy particle of the bottomonium family, called the ηb (pronounced eta-sub-b)". If I read far enough, it may describe the exact process or show a "road map on the scatter diagram"
will.c
Aug26-08, 07:16 PM
P: 374
I think if you're really interested it's time for a textbook.

This'll do:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-E.../dp/0471603864
George Jones
Aug27-08, 02:37 PM
Mentor
P: 6,245
Quote Quote by will.c View Post
I think if you're really interested it's time for a textbook.

This'll do:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-E.../dp/0471603864
But wait a month or two until the second edition (massive neutrinos, etc.) comes out.
Simone_beet
Aug27-08, 06:16 PM
Eureka! Last few suggestions in the threads are appreciated. A real text book, with exercises too, I suspect. hmmm? sounds intriguing. In browsing other threads, I see comments made in regards to reading about physics is one thing; doing exercises and working the problems of the physics world are quite another entirely. Interesting perspective and I agree and hadn't thought about it like that before. I am of the nature to gather all the facts and details before getting to the 'hands on' stage i.e. a by-product of my life in Information Systems world. So, I am in the 'read all about it stage' working to transition to the next 'now lets do it' stage. Here's the 60 million dollar question - what's considered too old in life to change gears and start through earning degree in physics and pursuing one's passion? Ok, I guess we'll consider that a rhetorical question. Peace

Register to reply