Register to reply

Length of an infinite square well?

by *melinda*
Tags: infinite, length, square
Share this thread:
*melinda*
Oct9-08, 07:50 PM
P: 86
Actually, this is more of a general question relating to a homework problem I already did. I was given the initial wavefunction of a particle in an infinite square well:

[tex] \Psi(x,0) = Ax[/tex] if [tex](0 \leq x \leq \frac{a}{2})[/tex], and [tex] =A(a-x)[/tex] if [tex](\frac{a}{2} \leq x \leq a) [/tex]

And of course [tex]\Psi(0,0) = \Psi(a,0) = 0[/tex]

I was asked to find [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex] , which I did, and I was also asked to find the probability that "a measurement of the energy would yield the value [tex] E_1[/tex]", the ground state energy, which I also did. However, this probability is dependent on the length of the well, given by 'a'.

I was curious about this, and I found that the probability that "a measurement of the energy would yield the value [tex] E_1[/tex]" increases as the value of 'a' increases.

Taking the limit as 'a' approaches infinity gives a probability of finding the energy in the ground state to be approx. 0.986, which means that there is a non-zero probability of finding the particle in another energy level.

OK, as far as I can tell for a given wavefunction, increasing the length of the infinite square well increases the probability of finding the particle in the lowest energy state. Mathematically I understand this, but I am still lacking physical intuition about what is actually happening when the length of the well increases.

So, for a given wavefunction, WHY does increasing the length of the infinite square well increases the probability of finding the particle in the lowest energy state?

Thanks, I hope this question makes sense!
*melinda*
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
borgwal
Oct9-08, 09:42 PM
P: 369
Are you sure? Did you normalize the wavefunction properly?
The probability is a dimensionless number: but a is a length, and it is the only length in the problem here: there is no way to make a dimensionless number that depends on a. So I'd think, without actually calculating anything, that the probability to find E_1 should be independent of a.

Register to reply