Multivaraible Calculus. surfaces in R2 andR3

In summary, the given vector function ⃗r(u, v) satisfies the equation z = 4x^2− y^2 and the surface S given by this equation is a hyperbolic paraboloid.
ScullyX51

Homework Statement

In class, we studied functions ⃗r : I → R^3, where I ⊂ R is some interval.
Let us now consider a function
⃗r : U → R^3, U ⊂ R^2
That is, we have a function, ⃗r, which sends a point (u, v) in the plane to a
point (vector) in R3 . You may call it a “vector function of two arguments”
or a “vector function of a vector argument”. To be specific:
Let
U = {(u, v), v > 0} ⊂ R^2
⃗r(u, v) = (√v/2 cosh u, √v sinh u, v)
or, equivalently,
x = √v/2 cosh u
y = √v sinh u
z = v

1.Verify that the points ⃗r(u, v) satisfy the equation z = 4x^2− y^2
2.Identify the surface S given by the equation z = 4x^2-y^2
Is it an ellipsoid, paraboloid, hyperboloid (and which one), cone, cyllinder?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the surface given by the equation is a hyperbolic parabloid, but I have no idea how to approach showing that the points satify the equation. When I tried just plugging the values of x,y, and z into the equation I end up with something very messy, and I'm not quite sure what I am supposed to be solving for. If anyone could explain this to me it would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your post. Let's take a look at the first part of the problem, verifying that the points ⃗r(u, v) satisfy the equation z = 4x^2− y^2.

To do this, we can simply substitute the values of x, y, and z from the given vector function ⃗r(u, v) into the equation z = 4x^2− y^2. So, we have:

z = v = 4(√v/2 cosh u)^2 - (√v sinh u)^2
z = v = 4v/4 cosh^2 u - v sinh^2 u
z = v = v cosh^2 u - v sinh^2 u
z = v(cosh^2 u - sinh^2 u)

Now, we can use a trigonometric identity to simplify cosh^2 u - sinh^2 u. The identity is:

cosh^2 x - sinh^2 x = 1

So, we have:

z = v(1)
z = v

And we can see that this is indeed equal to z, which is what we wanted to show. So, the points ⃗r(u, v) do satisfy the equation z = 4x^2− y^2.

Now, for the second part of the problem, we need to identify the surface S given by the equation z = 4x^2− y^2. This is a hyperbolic paraboloid. We can see this by rearranging the equation to get:

z + y^2 = 4x^2

This can be rewritten as:

(z/4) + (y/2)^2 = x^2

This is the standard form of a hyperbolic paraboloid. So, we can conclude that the surface S is a hyperbolic paraboloid. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of more than one variable. It involves the study of mathematical objects such as vectors, matrices, and tensors, and their relationships with functions and equations. It is used to analyze and model complex systems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

2. What are surfaces in R2 and R3?

Surfaces in R2 and R3 are mathematical objects that can be visualized as two-dimensional or three-dimensional shapes respectively. They are defined by a set of points that satisfy a given equation or set of equations. In multivariable calculus, surfaces are often studied in the context of functions of two or three variables, where they represent the graph of the function in space.

3. How is multivariable calculus different from single variable calculus?

In single variable calculus, the focus is on functions of one variable, while in multivariable calculus, the focus is on functions of two or more variables. This means that in multivariable calculus, there are more complex relationships between variables, and the techniques used to analyze these relationships are different. Multivariable calculus also involves the study of surfaces and volumes, which are not present in single variable calculus.

4. What are some applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, such as the motion of objects, electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and optimization problems. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations, and in economics to study consumer behavior and market trends.

5. What are some common techniques used in multivariable calculus?

Some common techniques used in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, gradients, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. These techniques are used to analyze functions of multiple variables and to find their critical points, extrema, and optimization solutions. Other techniques, such as Taylor series and Fourier series, are also used to approximate and manipulate multivariable functions.