Boltzmann Probability: Calculating Probability of Bound States for Hemoglobin

In summary, Boltzmann's Law is used to calculate the probability that a molecule will exist in a specific energy state.
Jim Newt

Homework Statement

Simplistically, hemoglobin can exist in 5 states (0,1,2,3 or 4 bound O2). Name each state accordingly as UB (unbound) and B1, B2, B3, and B4 (for the four bound states). Using Boltzmann's Law, write down the probability that the molecule exists in a bound form.

Homework Equations

Here's Boltzmann's Law as I know it:

Pa/Pb = 1/z * exp[Ui/KbT]

where:

Pa: Probability A
Pb: Probability B
z: partition function
Ui: energy state
Kb: Boltzmann's constant
T: Temperature in K

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is on a study guide for an exam on Monday morning. This is tough, because the instructor did not explain very well how to use Boltzmann's Law for this sort of problem. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be a giant help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is actually an example of a probability distribution (the Boltzmann distribution). In this case you can think of it as the the probability that the system will be in a state with a specific energy.

First of all, remember that the probability that the system is in SOME state must be 1 (so what is Pb?) and the probability for each of the other states should be a number between 0 and 1.

What is the partition function in this case?
Also, to keep your answer as simple as possible: what is the probability that the molecule exists in the UB form?

Hi F95toli,

Thanks greatly for your suggestions. So do I treat the B1, B2,...etc. and UB as energy states? What do I do with the KbT?

So to start, I would take out the Pb and set Pa=1?

z=5?

I'm lost on this one...

Attachments

• Bolt.JPG
    Bolt.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 424
*Look at eq. 1 on this wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell-Boltzmann_distribution

This is essentially the equation above. However, look at what is written instead of your "Pb"

also look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_factor

which is perhaps easier to understand and relates to the point I made above about the total probability being 1.

And yes, the different states must have different energies; otherwise they would have the same probability.

kBT will be a parameter in the final expression since you don't know the temperature.

F95toli,

Thanks again for all your help. So based on all the great info that you've provided me, here's what I think the final solution would be:

4/5 = exp(-UB/KT) / [exp(-B1/KT) + exp(-B2/KT) + exp(-B3/KT) + exp(-B4/KT)]

Where UB= energy state of Unboud
B!, B2...etc = engergy states of Bound

Is this correct?

No, not quite. Although you are quite close.
First of all: there is no way to get a numerical answer from the information you have been provided with, so I don't know where you get the "4/5" from.

The right hand side is close. However, remember that you need to normalize with the sum of ALL Boltzmann factors (there is one factor missing).
Also, the question was what the probability is that the molecule exists in bound form.

P = exp(-B/KT) / [exp(-B1/KT) + exp(-B2/KT) + exp(-B3/KT) + exp(-B4/KT)+exp(-UB/KT)]

F95toli,

How does this look? Thanks,

Jim

So here's the corrected answer:

P = [exp(-B1/kT)+exp(-B2/kT)+exp(-B3/kT)+exp(-B4/kT)] /
[exp(-B1/kT)+exp(-B2/kT)+exp(-B3/kT)+exp(-B4/kT)+exp(-UB/kT)]

Is this correct?

Thanks greatly,

Jim

1. What is Boltzmann probability and how is it relevant to hemoglobin?

Boltzmann probability is a statistical method used to calculate the probability of a molecule or atom being in a particular energy state. In the case of hemoglobin, it is used to determine the probability of the protein binding to oxygen molecules in the blood.

2. How is Boltzmann probability calculated for hemoglobin?

The Boltzmann probability formula for hemoglobin takes into account the energy levels of the hemoglobin molecule and the number of oxygen molecules present in the blood. It is calculated using the equation P = n/N, where P is the probability, n is the number of oxygen-bound hemoglobin molecules, and N is the total number of hemoglobin molecules present.

3. Why is calculating the probability of bound states important for hemoglobin?

Hemoglobin plays a crucial role in carrying oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. By calculating the probability of bound states, we can understand how well hemoglobin is able to bind to oxygen molecules and transport them effectively. This is important for maintaining proper oxygen levels in the body.

4. How does temperature affect Boltzmann probability for hemoglobin?

Temperature has a direct effect on the energy levels of molecules, including hemoglobin. As temperature increases, the energy levels of hemoglobin also increase, resulting in a higher probability of bound states. This is why it is important to regulate body temperature for optimal hemoglobin function.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect Boltzmann probability for hemoglobin?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect Boltzmann probability for hemoglobin include pH levels, concentration of other molecules in the blood, and any genetic mutations in the hemoglobin protein. These factors can alter the energy levels and stability of hemoglobin, thus affecting its ability to bind to oxygen molecules.