Shamwow! cloths wash, dry and polish any surface

by Ivan Seeking
Tags: cloths, polish, shamwow, surface, wash
russ_watters
Oct31-08, 08:27 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999
I use paper towels because I'm concerned about being sanitary. Sponges are little germ habitats.
Moonbear
Nov2-08, 07:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
I use paper towels because I'm concerned about being sanitary. Sponges are little germ habitats.
That's what disinfectant is for. Still, do you manage to use $20 worth of paper towels in a month? You'd probably have to use at least 2 dozen rolls of paper towels in a month to accomplish that!

I usually use a dish towel to wipe up the disinfectant as I clean countertops, and then it goes into the laundry. The sponges are mostly used for the scrubby side, or to soak up bigger spills, followed by cleaning.

Though, one of my pet peeves is sponges left sopping wet to get germy and stinky. I always squeeze out the sponge so it dries between uses. I don't hand-wash dishes though. If I did, I'd use dish rags and wash them after one or two uses rather than use sponges.

(And if it wasn't clear, I was joking about the sex differences in paper towel usage...for every guy I've met who uses paper towels for everything, I've encountered one who has a sponge that he uses until it falls apart. My joke was probably too bad to come across well.)
Evo
Nov2-08, 07:10 PM
Mentor
P: 25,927
I use those little Dobie pads. They rinse easily and dry quickly, unlike thick sponges.
turbo
Nov2-08, 07:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
My wife and I use nylon-webbed sponge pads for scrubbing dishes, have a stiff nylon pot-scraper to tackle the caked-on stuff, and have a large stable of dish-rags. Use the dish-rags to do dishes, rinse and wring, and use them to mop up alcohol-water disinfecting spray to clean other surfaces, and launder them every couple of days. It works out well, and we use few paper towels.

For cleaning dust, washing windows, etc, we use terrycloths made of micro-fiber.
russ_watters
Nov13-08, 05:58 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
That's what disinfectant is for. Still, do you manage to use $20 worth of paper towels in a month? You'd probably have to use at least 2 dozen rolls of paper towels in a month to accomplish that!

I usually use a dish towel to wipe up the disinfectant as I clean countertops, and then it goes into the laundry. The sponges are mostly used for the scrubby side, or to soak up bigger spills, followed by cleaning.

Though, one of my pet peeves is sponges left sopping wet to get germy and stinky. I always squeeze out the sponge so it dries between uses. I don't hand-wash dishes though. If I did, I'd use dish rags and wash them after one or two uses rather than use sponges.

(And if it wasn't clear, I was joking about the sex differences in paper towel usage...for every guy I've met who uses paper towels for everything, I've encountered one who has a sponge that he uses until it falls apart. My joke was probably too bad to come across well.)
My post was a failed set-up, btw - I was joking too. I don't use paper towels to be sanitary, I use paper towels because I'm male and therefore inherrently lazy.

I don't know offhand how much paper towels cost, but it isn't enough for me to care. I use perhaps 2 rolls a month.
tribdog
Nov20-08, 11:40 PM
P: 689
I probably go through between 5 to 10 rolls of paper towels a month. fewer if I have a clean towel when I get out of the shower
nottheone
Feb21-09, 10:27 AM
P: 94
I am ashamed to admit I fell for this one without checking the web. They aren't microfibers as far as I can tell and they don't work any better than a real chamois or paper towel, worse in my opinion. They leave water behind, they don't pick it all up. Some reports are that they aren't even made in Germany like the snake oil salesman says (I should have known just by looking at that guy) which is one of the reasons I bought it. Other people say that it won't dry a sweater like he says either. This product is near worthless.

If you call in to buy this product be prepared to be inundated by other offers for about 15 minutes or more, that's the point where I hung up the phone and sent him an email to see if the order for just the Scamwows was actually going to be processed, unfortunately it did. Don't buy this if you expect it to work like he says.
NASANerd02
Feb21-09, 12:38 PM
P: 5
Quote Quote by tribdog View Post
I probably go through between 5 to 10 rolls of paper towels a month. fewer if I have a clean towel when I get out of the shower
nottheone
Feb21-09, 01:49 PM
P: 94
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post

Bit of a contradiction there? You worry about germs so you use disinfectant to breed worse ones? I believe in natural selection and evolution so I try not to take an active part in it. I never use any disinfectant other than soap and hot water. The germs in my house are theoretically the same as when they first got there.
TheMetalChick
Apr8-09, 11:17 AM
P: 11
Quote Quote by nottheone View Post
I am ashamed to admit I fell for this one without checking the web. They aren't microfibers as far as I can tell and they don't work any better than a real chamois or paper towel, worse in my opinion. They leave water behind, they don't pick it all up. Some reports are that they aren't even made in Germany like the snake oil salesman says (I should have known just by looking at that guy) which is one of the reasons I bought it. Other people say that it won't dry a sweater like he says either. This product is near worthless.

If you call in to buy this product be prepared to be inundated by other offers for about 15 minutes or more, that's the point where I hung up the phone and sent him an email to see if the order for just the Scamwows was actually going to be processed, unfortunately it did. Don't buy this if you expect it to work like he says.
Anticitizen
Apr9-09, 01:21 AM
P: 128
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Tip: http://www.webmd.com/news/20070124/m...-germs-sponges

"The results showed that two minutes in the microwave at full power killed or inactivated more than 99% of all the living germs and the bacterial spores in the sponges and pads, including E. coli."
Greg Bernhardt
Apr9-09, 01:31 AM
Admin
P: 8,534
how has this not been posted yet

fillindablank
Oct3-09, 06:51 PM
P: 31
I bought it. I figured if it was made in Germany it had to work as advertised. Stupid me, it doesn't do ANY of the things they say it does and I would bet anything it isn't made in Germany either. Go to Autozone and you can buy a real microfiber cloth for about the same price. Worse, like most scams, TV is still taking his money and advertising it, I saw it a couple of days ago. Capitalism is great isn't it?

Register to reply