Forum Game - Where's That Landmark?

by CaptainQuasar
Tags: game, landmark
CaptainQuasar
Nov9-08, 11:21 AM
P: 705
Okay, this is a game I've played on other forums that I really like. If there's one of these already going on... well, I'm starting a new one! So there!

The general idea is that one person posts an image of a landmark somewhere in the world and other people have to guess what the landmark is either by personally being able to recognize it or by successfully hunting it down over the internet. The person who successfully identifies the previous landmark wins the privilege of putting up a new image as a challenge. The point is to pick things that aren't too easy but aren't too hard either and ideally images with some contextual clue from which the identity of the landmark can be deduced.

So, not strictly a brain teaser but this seems like the best section for it.

The rulez iz:

Remember, you can't post an image unless you're the first to successfully guess the last one.

When guessing it is suggested that you provide a link to an internet page somewhere that can confirm your guess; i.e. provide some evidence that you're correct.

The image you post should be resized to maybe 650 x 490 at the largest. You can do that by uploading it to http://www.TinyPic.com/. When you're uploading, from the "Resize" dropdown choose the size "Message Board (640x480)". After you've pressed the "Upload" button, on the next page there's a section titled "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards". You want to select the text in that area and cut and paste it into your Physics Forums comment.

Even if the image is already the correct size you probably ought to upload it to Tinypic. This will anonymize it - make sure someone can't just look at the URL and find the original page the image is displayed on explaining what it is - and also save Greg some money in bandwidth costs.

You can provide additional, supplementary images but please just link to them, don't actually post them in your comment.

If people are stuck go ahead and provide incremental clues, start off by naming the continent it's on and which country it's in, for example.

You probably want to stay away from any naughty images, of course. Well, at least any extremely naughty images.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
CaptainQuasar
Nov9-08, 11:25 AM
I'll start us off with one I don't think should be too hard:

Ygggdrasil
Nov9-08, 11:58 AM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,342
It's the Stata center at MIT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stata_Center).

Going with the same theme...

Additional pic that may be more helpful to people who have visited: http://i36.tinypic.com/124bz34.jpg

CaptainQuasar
Nov9-08, 03:23 PM

Forum Game - Where's That Landmark?

Sather Tower at UC Berkeley! Whoo hoo! I wouldn't have gotten it without that 2nd picture with the Joshua Trees.

Taking a different tack; I think this one will be harder:

(x)
Nov9-08, 04:29 PM
P: 323
Easy, its the Pyramid of Djoser. Everyone who has taken World History I should recognize this picture.
CaptainQuasar
Nov9-08, 06:57 PM
Well all righty then! I apologize for offending your refined sensibilities.

I take it you aren't going to put your own candidate forward so I'll do another:

turbo
Nov9-08, 07:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Is that the Iron pagoda of Kaifeng?
CaptainQuasar
Nov9-08, 07:48 PM
You got it! Give us a tough one.
turbo
Nov9-08, 08:06 PM
PF Gold
Probably not tough enough...

CaptainQuasar
Nov9-08, 08:33 PM
Hmmm... is it the Penobscot Narrows Bridge in Maine? I didn't notice what a degree of variation in cable-stayed bridges there was until now...
turbo
Nov9-08, 08:39 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by CaptainQuasar View Post
Hmmm... is it the Penobscot Narrows Bridge in Maine? I didn't notice what a degree of variation in cable-stayed bridges there was until now...
That's the one. It's pretty new, so I was hoping that most people hadn't seen pictures of it.
CaptainQuasar
Nov9-08, 09:03 PM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
That's the one. It's pretty new, so I was hoping that most people hadn't seen pictures of it.
Oh, I hadn't seen it before, although I happen to live next door in New Hampshire. I found it through Google Image Search based on recognizing that it's a cable-stayed bridge and conjectures based upon there being deciduous trees. That's totally legal and it's how things usually end up being found in this game, especially as the landmarks get more obscure.

Like this one:

Close up of the clock face
CaptainQuasar
Nov10-08, 09:15 AM
A hint: it's in North America.
Greg Bernhardt
Nov10-08, 09:35 AM
Admin
P: 8,532
try this

turbo
Nov10-08, 09:44 AM
PF Gold
A hint: it's in North America.
Been racking my brains over this one. The ornamentation appears to be Moorish, and the surrounding buildings appear to be run-down, calling to mind shots from Havana.
Borek
Nov10-08, 09:44 AM
Admin
P: 22,665
Greg: you have to guess the previous one first.
Borek
Nov10-08, 09:54 AM
Admin
P: 22,665

Ottoman Clock Tower in Mexico City
turbo
Nov10-08, 10:40 AM
PF Gold
That's a real good catch, Borek. I had trouble finding an image of it even after you gave its name.

Register to reply