Register to reply

Find the coordinates of the point on the ellipsoid where the major axis meet

by ppmko
Tags: axis, coordinates, ellipsoid, major, meet, point
Share this thread:
ppmko
Jan2-09, 11:05 AM
P: 11
I have a point p(xp,yp,zp) inside an ellipsoid and i want to find the angle of that point from the center of the ellipsoid(xc,yc,zc) .

I also have
the major axis length 'a' ,with length ax,ay and az components

I calculated the unit vector of axis a with formula length of axis 'a"/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2).

how do i find the angle at which p makes with the center of ellipsoid from the from axis a

I calculated the coordinates of the point that intersect the major axis on the ellipsoid using the unit vector by calculating the xcoordinate as ax/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2) similarly for y and z coordinates
this give me 2 set of coordinates .now i have new coordinates of the point that intersects the major axis on the ellipsoid and the coordinates of p . Now i use distance formula and then use the cosine law for triangles to find the angle betwen the point p and the center of the ellipsoid.pls let me know if this is correct.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric

Register to reply