What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

by MissSilvy
Tags: girls, guys, nerdy
Topher925
Jan2-09, 05:13 PM
P: 1,672
How can an intelligent woman be a believer?
My opinion is mutual but I can't really afford getting any more infractions so I'm not going into it.
Monique
Jan2-09, 05:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,622
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
It's hard to say what exactly I'm looking for, but the last girl I was really interested in was brilliant, witty, gorgeous, fun to be with, and had a charming accent.
How do you know I've got a charming accent?

oh, I'm bad (runs away, really fast)
Hurkyl
Jan2-09, 05:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
How do you know I've got a charming accent?

oh, I'm bad (runs away, really fast)
You know, that just makes me want to chase....
tim_lou
Jan2-09, 05:32 PM
P: 689
It's amazing to see how fast this thread is gathering replies...

Well, firstly, I think most people will classify me as ultra physics nerds (even among my physics nerdy friends), since I study Saturday - Sunday and loves to talk about physics all day. So I'll be in a good position to answer this question.

To be honest, whoever likes me for who I am and are intelligent are good enough. It doesn't have to be ultra intelligent... being able to understand physics jokes would be an extra plus. Also, I don't like the propaganda religious type... for obvious reasons.

Edit: thinking about it a bit more (expanding my mind to include all kinds of people)... that person also needs to have an open mind, have an interest in general knowledge and the world around us. Being humanistic sums it up I think.

(man...when my friends find out this reply, they'll surely make fun of me. Sometimes I regret making my user-name too explicit.. )
kingdomof
Jan2-09, 05:59 PM
P: 97
Quote Quote by misgfool View Post
How can an intelligent woman be a believer? What does the previous statement imply?
Myopic, much?

I really can't describe what I'd find in a girl, neither can I really describe myself as a nerd. However, if it mattered, someone who isn't myopic and can focus on a conversation and be somewhat empathetic to me. Oddly enough, this disqualifies every girl I've been interested in!
turbo
Jan2-09, 06:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
If a girl asked (nerdy me) in engineering school, "what do you want in a woman?" the literal answer would have gotten me a slap or a quick date.....
Jimmy Snyder
Jan2-09, 07:51 PM
P: 2,163
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
If a girl asked (nerdy me) in engineering school, "what do you want in a woman?" the literal answer would have gotten me a slap or a quick date.....
Funny, that answer occurred to me too, but she said no.
Ghost803
Jan2-09, 07:52 PM
P: 26
1. Intelligence
2. Humor (Sarcastic, Dark, Nerdy/Quirky) ( No slapstick or stereotype jokes)
3. Self Assured
4. Appearance ( not obese, doesn't have a manly jaw (lots of American Women have manly jaw lines for some reason), and no lemon blond hair)
5. No pointless bitching. I've noticed a lot of dumb people like to do that. Whether its at work, school, or social settings. People just like to *****. About professors, classes, work shifts, term papers, relatives. They complain about the same things over and over and over, p***es me off.

The rest of the criteria are too broad and vague for me to be able to consciously write them down. And would probably differ from nerd to nerd very much. It is just a hunch of mine, but I would guess that nerds would have the same taste discriminations or list of things that would disqualify a girl but what actually attracts each individual one would be too variable.
Kurdt
Jan2-09, 07:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I always had to ask the nerdy guys out myself. I would just go up to them and ask "where are you taking me Friday night?" It always worked. You will find that nerdy guys will answer a direct question.
Are you sure. I thought most nerdy guys would implode when that line was delivered.
Kurdt
Jan2-09, 08:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I think approaching the guy initially is the best answer. It doesn't really matter what that guy is looking for (we're all different.... honest ) thats what dating is about, but I suppose the type of man you're after will be shy and unable to ask you out himself.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan2-09, 08:21 PM
P: 2,163
Quote Quote by Ghost803 View Post
5. No pointless bitching. I've noticed a lot of dumb people like to do that. Whether its at work, school, or social settings. People just like to *****. About professors, classes, work shifts, term papers, relatives. They complain about the same things over and over and over, p***es me off.
Me too. I can't stand people like that.
Kurdt
Jan2-09, 08:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by jimmysnyder View Post
If you persist in looking for one of them, then as Evo suggests, give them no room for maneuver. Given a choice, they wilt.

That could prove troublesome later on in a relationship.
NBAJam100
Jan2-09, 08:27 PM
P: 161
Quote Quote by Topher925 View Post
And last, she has to be an atheist or at least agnostic. This one really disqualifies most girls but I can't deal with the religious propaganda anymore. I honestly have never met a girl that met all three of these qualities, which is why I haven't had a gf in the past couple years. If I met a girl that did, chances are that I would marry her.

Bit of a high order there dont ya think Topher?

Is the atheist thing set in stone or is a girl who isnt officially atheist but doesnt really believe in god ok? Or a girl who is religious but doesnt throw the "propaganda" at you and keeps it to herself? This is coming from a non-religious guy and in no way is it an attack! im just kinda curious.
Evo
Jan2-09, 08:27 PM
Mentor
P: 25,965
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
Are you sure. I thought most nerdy guys would implode when that line was delivered.
They always looked like a deer caught in headlights for the first few seconds, but then they'd ask me where I wanted to go.

Except for one, a math nerd at Rice. He was drop dead gorgeous and didn't know it. He told me that he already had plans for Friday, so what about Saturday instead?
Proton Soup
Jan2-09, 08:33 PM
P: 1,070
Quote Quote by MissSilvy View Post
Let's turn the tables for a second: what qualities do 'nerdy' boys like in girls?

I love 'nerdy' boys and I'm very lucky that my school is quite science and tech focused. However, a lot of them are incredibly cute and endearing but very shy and give off mixed signals. With other guys, it's fairly straight forward but I know quite a few self-professed 'dorks' that I would go out to dinner with if only they'd ask.

There have been numerous threads on what girls like in guys, but now I'm asking the opposite question; what do smart guys like yourselves like in girls? If possible, I'd be interested in opinions on or from college-aged guys. Thanks!

('Sex' is not an answer. Nice try, PF but I'm looking for more subtle points :))
i think all you need do is show more than a casual interest. don't play games, just signal your interest with body and spoken language. first of all, smile and make eye contact. start a conversation and feign interest in his geek speak. once you've established he might be interested, break the touch barrier and start using some sexual innuendo in your speech and body language.

you chicks have it a lot easier than you realize, you know.
turbo
Jan2-09, 08:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Well-prepared women were sweet. There was a very tall, attractive, leggy blonde in my dining hall, who I'd see frequently. One day early in my freshman year (hers, too) I wandered over and asked if she minded if I ate my lunch with her. She pulled out the chair right next to her and said that she had been saving that seat for me. We got so close that we were inseperable. We had similar interests in art , music, poetry, and ended spending all our spare time together.
Topher925
Jan2-09, 09:18 PM
P: 1,672
Quote Quote by NBAJam100 View Post
Bit of a high order there dont ya think Topher?

Is the atheist thing set in stone or is a girl who isnt officially atheist but doesnt really believe in god ok? Or a girl who is religious but doesnt throw the "propaganda" at you and keeps it to herself? This is coming from a non-religious guy and in no way is it an attack! im just kinda curious.
Its a VERY high order. But I'm picky and I don't want to spend the time and the money with someone who I will have no future with again. It just isn't worth it.

Someone who isn't really an atheist and doesn't really believe in god is "agnostic", which I already said was ok. Its sort of like the first step towards atheism. If a girl does believe in god, then personally I believe that she will atomically be violating quality 1 along with quality 3.

I will probably never find anyone and die alone, but at least I will have time for my part time job as an international spy.

you chicks have it a lot easier than you realize, you know.
You can say that again.
rootX
Jan2-09, 10:22 PM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by Topher925 View Post
Someone who isn't really an atheist and doesn't really believe in god is "agnostic", which I already said was ok. Its sort of like the first step towards atheism. If a girl does believe in god, then personally I believe that she will atomically be violating quality 1 along with quality 3.
There are religious people who are intelligent and ambitious. I haven't met them yet but I have met ordinary people (~+3) who are religious and emotionally intelligent. They are extremely caring, nice, generous, and ethical, and never bring their faith in the conversations - all of them understand the meaning of faith and how it helps them dealing with their life problems. I have seen other too who think everyone but them is going hell :).
(I am agnostic between... but just wanted to point out that there are different kinds out there)

Register to reply