Solve Difference Equation: y(n)-y(n-1)+0.25y(n-2)=x(n)-0.25x(n-1)

In summary, a difference equation is a mathematical equation used to model dynamic systems that change over time. To solve a difference equation, a general solution must be found using techniques such as substitution, generating function method, or matrices. The purpose of the "y(n)-y(n-1)+0.25y(n-2)=x(n)-0.25x(n-1)" equation is to model a dynamic system's behavior over time. The coefficient "0.25" represents the rate of the system's response to changes in the input. This difference equation can be solved analytically, but numerical methods may be more practical in some cases.
sami_boy
Hi guys

I have this difference equation.

y(n)-y(n-1)+0.25y(n-2)=x(n)-0.25x(n-1)

I found the step response of the system from the homogeneous solution and it's

yh(n)=C1(0.5)n+C2n(0.5)n >>>homogeneous

h(n)=(0.5n+1)(0.5)n >>> step response

The 2nd part of the problem is I'm supposed to find the response of the system if x(n)=(0.25)nu(n) is the input and initial conditions =0.

so my question is how do I find the particular solution ( yp(n))?
I tried for yp(n)=C(0.25)n,Cn2(0.25)n, but i couldn't find the response.
I also tried to solve it with convolution but it didn't work.

So please guys i would really appreciate your help.
thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with finding the particular solution for your difference equation.

First, let's define the variables in your equation for clarity:

y(n) - output at time n
x(n) - input at time n
u(n) - unit step function
C1, C2 - constants

To find the particular solution (yp(n)), we can use the method of undetermined coefficients. This method involves assuming a form for the particular solution and then solving for the coefficients based on the input and initial conditions.

In your case, the input is x(n) = (0.25)nu(n). Let's assume that the particular solution has the form yp(n) = Anu(n), where A is the coefficient we need to solve for. Substituting this form into the difference equation, we get:

Anu(n) - Anu(n-1) + 0.25Anu(n-2) = (0.25)nu(n) - 0.25(0.25)nu(n-1)

Simplifying this, we get:

An = 1/2n - 1/4(1/2)n-1

Now, we can use the initial conditions (y(0) = 0 and y(1) = 0) to solve for the constant A. Plugging in n=0 and n=1 into the above equation, we get:

A = 0
A = -1/4

These two equations are contradictory, so we can conclude that there is no particular solution for this equation. This means that the solution to the difference equation is the sum of the homogeneous solution (yh(n)) and the particular solution (yp(n)).

In summary, the solution to your difference equation is:

y(n) = yh(n) + yp(n) = C1(0.5)n + C2n(0.5)n

I hope this helps you solve your problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is a difference equation?

A difference equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between consecutive values in a sequence or time series. It is used to model dynamic systems that change over time.

2. How do you solve a difference equation?

To solve a difference equation, you need to find a general solution that satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. This can be done through various techniques such as forward or backward substitution, generating function method, or using matrices.

3. What is the purpose of the "y(n)-y(n-1)+0.25y(n-2)=x(n)-0.25x(n-1)" equation?

This difference equation is used to model a dynamic system where the current value (y(n)) is dependent on the previous two values (y(n-1) and y(n-2)) as well as the current input (x(n)) and the previous input (x(n-1)). It can be used to analyze the behavior of the system over time.

4. What does the coefficient "0.25" represent in the equation?

The coefficient "0.25" represents the rate at which the system responds to changes in the input. In this equation, it indicates that the system has a dampening effect, meaning it is slow to respond to changes in the input.

5. Can this difference equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this difference equation can be solved analytically by finding a general solution that satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. However, in some cases, it may be more practical to use numerical methods to approximate the solution.