Register to reply

Next comets

by Stratosphere
Tags: comets
Share this thread:
Stratosphere
Mar4-09, 06:44 PM
P: 360
When will the next comet apear for earth viewers. I know that there is almost always a comet or two visable through a large telescope but when is the next one visable with the naked eye(I want to plan somthing import on that night.) . I wish i was around for comet Hale-Bopp but i was to young.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Eta Carinae: Our Neighboring Superstars
Best view yet of merging galaxies in distant universe
alseth
Mar5-09, 01:31 PM
P: 15
Well, Hale-Bopp was one of the brightest comets seen for many decades. Astronomers do not expect any comparable comet to show up anytime soon. Hale-Bopp was discovered almost two years before it passed perihelion so when you think about it, the chances are quite slim(almost none). At least for the near future... :(
Nabeshin
Mar5-09, 01:44 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,193
McNaught was also ridiculously bright, so owing to the laws of probability, we've had our fair share of bright comets already.

Stratosphere
Mar5-09, 02:12 PM
Next comets

That sucks. Is there anything that might be visable but dim?
turbo
Mar5-09, 02:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser.../35992534.html

Here you go.
vincentm
Mar5-09, 02:25 PM
P: 339
What chemical composition does it consist of that gives it the green color?
alseth
Mar5-09, 02:47 PM
Quote Quote by vincentm View Post
What chemical composition does it consist of that gives it the green color?
its mainly cyanogen and some diatomic carbon gases
turbo
Mar5-09, 03:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Here's a wonderful photo of it by Greg Parker and Noel Carboni. Their fantastic astronomy picture-book "Star Vistas" is now shipping. Greg does the imaging in England, emails the images to Noel in Florida, who does the image processing. Notice the quartet of galaxies visible through the comet. NGC 3020, NGC 3024, NGC 3019, NGC 3016 in Leo.

http://forum.ourdarkskies.com/galler...1_7_140417.jpg
Stratosphere
Mar5-09, 03:28 PM
I dont know if I would be able to find comet Lulin, my binoculars are too strong.(20x80)
alseth
Mar5-09, 03:40 PM
Quote Quote by Stratosphere View Post
I dont know if I would be able to find comet Lulin, my binoculars are too strong.(20x80)
You can definitely do it. I have found it through my Newton without using a finderscope. I think your binocs are well suited for this kind of observation. You may want to use a tripod for this though...
Nabeshin
Mar5-09, 03:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,193
Quote Quote by alseth View Post
You can definitely do it. I have found it through my Newton without using a finderscope. I think your binocs are well suited for this kind of observation. You may want to use a tripod for this though...
Definitely on the tripod. I picked it up a few days ago with my 15x70s and it was tough to see any kind of detail without the tripod.
blimkie.k
Mar7-09, 03:28 AM
P: 129
hale bopp, i remember viewing a comet in grade 3 it must have been hale, that was about 12 years ago, 1996-97 i think.

Wouldnt mind taking a girl up to a hill to watch a comet, the night sky out of city limits is fascinating enough but with a comet streakin through it ohh baby haha.
Stratosphere
Mar7-09, 01:24 PM
Quote Quote by blimkie.k View Post

Wouldnt mind taking a girl up to a hill to watch a comet, the night sky out of city limits is fascinating enough but with a comet streakin through it ohh baby haha.
My idea exactly, i was only 3 or 4 when Hale-Bopp was around. I've always had an intrest in science but it faed away around 9 and came back abought 5 months ago twice as strong.

Register to reply