Register to reply

Complex matrix problem

by broegger
Tags: complex, matrix
Share this thread:
broegger
May17-04, 02:13 AM
P: 258
Let A and B be Hermitian matrices with AB = BA and let N = A + iB.

1) Show that N is normal.

2) Show that A = 1/2(N+N*) (* = conjugate transpose) and find a formula for B.

3) Let U be a unitary matrix such that U*NU is a diagonal matrix. Show that U*AU and U*BU is diagonal matrices.

I had no problems with 1) and 2) but I simply can't figure out 3)... Please help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
matt grime
May17-04, 05:00 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
You can recover A form N, and if U diagonalizes N, does it diagonalize N*?
HallsofIvy
May17-04, 05:01 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,545
Clearly, U*NU= U*AU+ i U*BU. Since U*NU is a diagonal matrix, all non-diagonal elements are 0. That is, All non-diagonal elements of U*AU and iU*BU must cancel. What does that tell you about them individually (and don't forget the "i").

broegger
May17-04, 06:04 AM
P: 258
Complex matrix problem

Clearly, U*NU= U*AU+ i U*BU. Since U*NU is a diagonal matrix, all non-diagonal elements are 0. That is, All non-diagonal elements of U*AU and iU*BU must cancel. What does that tell you about them individually (and don't forget the "i").
I honorstly don't know... I don't think the fact that two matrices P and Q sum up to a diagonalmatrix D implies that they are diagonalmatrices themselves - it just means that their non-diagonal elements cancel - as you say yourself... Or what?
matt grime
May17-04, 06:14 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
I don't think Hall's method works since it doesn't use at any point the properties of A, B and N, and would thus appear to be 'true' for all matrices, which isn't possible.

However, U*NU diagonal implies (U*NU)*=U*N*U is diagonal, and you may recover U*AU from these two diagonal matrices using part 2

Register to reply