Book Choice for the Physics Olympiad

by abhikesbhat
Tags: book, choice, olympiad, physics
abhikesbhat
Apr19-09, 08:06 PM
P: 51
What are the best books to use for preparing for the Physics Olympiad? I have University Physics and Fundamentals of Physics? Which one is better? Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
thrill3rnit3
Apr19-09, 08:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 712
If you know your stuff already you can buy problem books which can help you with olympiad problems.

Irodov's book is probably one of the best.
abhikesbhat
Apr19-09, 08:46 PM
Yeah I only know Kinematics so far, so which book is best to LEARN physics while preparing for the olympiad.

thrill3rnit3
Apr19-09, 09:17 PM
PF Gold

Book Choice for the Physics Olympiad

ah. then try Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Giancoli

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Scient.../dp/0132431068

not much theory compared to other university physics textbooks but A LOT of problems.
glueball8
Apr19-09, 09:40 PM
P: 342
Fundamentals of Physics, Irodov's, Feynman lectures and watch MIT lectures, would do.
thrill3rnit3
Apr19-09, 09:42 PM
PF Gold
Oh yes, Lewin's MIT lectures are amazing.

By the way, what grade are you in (to the OP)??
glueball8
Apr19-09, 10:09 PM
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-...ures/index.htm

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-...eoAndCaptions/

Oh and do past contest. First the pre ones. (Pre-pre one first if there is one.) Then the IPhO. You should be reasonably ready if you do it. It takes a lot of time and conmittment but its nothing impossible. I only did some Fundamentals of physics and bit of Feynman and MIT lectures, I don't think I made it. For Fundamentals of Physics, do ALL the odd number problems. (I didn't do all the problems and now I'm going over everything again.)
thrill3rnit3
Apr19-09, 10:30 PM
PF Gold
I am also preparing for the Physics Olympiad, so thanks for all the advices.

By the way, how's Fundamentals of Physics? Is it a good book? Does it delve further into theory or is it mostly a problem solving book?
glueball8
Apr20-09, 02:46 PM
Quote Quote by thrill3rnit3 View Post
I am also preparing for the Physics Olympiad, so thanks for all the advices.

By the way, how's Fundamentals of Physics? Is it a good book? Does it delve further into theory or is it mostly a problem solving book?
It has most of the theory you have to know. But IPhO contest questions are harder, of course. Some of the harder FOP questions are like easiest contest hard part questions. FOP covers first year univeristy physics and that's basicly what you need to know to get into IPhO.
thrill3rnit3
Apr20-09, 05:57 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Bright Wang View Post
It has most of the theory you have to know. But IPhO contest questions are harder, of course. Some of the harder FOP questions are like easiest contest hard part questions. FOP covers first year univeristy physics and that's basicly what you need to know to get into IPhO.
I understand. How about in comparison to national olympiads? Since you said FOP covers what I need to know to get into IPhO, then the problems are about the same difficulty as national physics olympiad (U.S.) ??
abhikesbhat
Apr20-09, 08:33 PM
im in grade 8
abhikesbhat
Apr20-09, 08:36 PM
No I have FOP and the problems are challenging, but i can complete them. I am sure if I could complete them then they would not be on the iPho
glueball8
Apr20-09, 09:06 PM
http://www.jyu.fi/kastdk/olympiads/ go to "The Syllabus" FOP covers most of the material. I guess you have to learn more about Electromagnetic waves, Quantum Physics and Matter. There's only one chapter in FOP on EM waves, I don't think that covers everything. There's no chapter on matter or quantum physics.

I'm in Canada so I do the CAP exam. There's always 3 hard questions that's worth most of the marks. In 2006 there's one almost exact question on CAP that's on the FOP. But that's the 1st level exam. I have no clue what the US National is like.

FOP is mostly for you to learn the material, understand the concepts and do some simple problems. With MIT Lectures you can see some experiments and it will make the book easier to go though. (Lewin is a great lecturer.)

Feynman Lectures can help to understand the concepts and develop intuition. (really only vol. 1 and 2 are needed.)

Then Irodov's is the book that develop your problem solving skills. (Some of Irodov's about the same level as IPhO, I heard. I have the book but didn't have the time to study it. I heard some are even harder than IPhO, since its really designed for good university students.)

abhikesbhat, Grade 8 is really early to start this wow. I only started studying at the end of Grade 11. First try learning the grade 11 and 12 material, though my grade 11 and 12 books are really bad. Though you might want to learn a lot math before you start learning physics, calculus is a must! (even though IPhO says its not needed, then they have solutions in calculus form.)
thrill3rnit3
Apr20-09, 09:12 PM
PF Gold
How did you do on the test Bright Wang?
glueball8
Apr20-09, 09:15 PM
Quote Quote by thrill3rnit3 View Post
How did you do on the test Bright Wang?
Really bad. The results didn't come out yet, but I did really bad. Just hoping that I can go to the camp. But for Canada you have to do problem sets (Unless you get top 3) to go to the camp.

What grade are you in?
thrill3rnit3
Apr20-09, 10:05 PM
PF Gold
Really bad. The results didn't come out yet, but I did really bad. Just hoping that I can go to the camp. But for Canada you have to do problem sets (Unless you get top 3) to go to the camp.

What grade are you in?
I'm currently in 10th grade. I'm studying Mechanics right now, hopefully I can finish that and E&M by the end of the summer so that I can just focus on problem sets by the start of next year (that's when the qualifying tests begin).
glueball8
Apr29-09, 09:42 PM
So, I'm going to the training camp. There's a experimental test, how can I prepare of it? Any books on this?
thrill3rnit3
Apr30-09, 07:48 AM
PF Gold
So, I'm going to the training camp. There's a experimental test, how can I prepare of it? Any books on this?
And you said you did really bad

Register to reply