Register to reply

What do you know about arabs and muslims?

by moamen811
Tags: arabs, muslims
Share this thread:
moamen811
Jun24-09, 05:29 PM
P: 3
i'm from Egypt and i always hear wrong and bad things about muslims and arabs said in the western media..(especially during Bush's reign)
and i noticed in this forum that most of u know good about us.but i want to know what do u hear and truly believe about us...i guess this will let us to know each other well....so i'm waiting for ur replys...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Chi Meson
Jun24-09, 06:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
A great deal of Americans are a lot less educated than they think they are. A fine example of the wrongness that exists was the dialog between our Reprublican candidate and an "angry American" who was worried about Obama, who had been rumored to be a secret muslim.

This angry American said (something like) "I don't trust him, I know that he is a... uh...a...an Arab and..."

At this point McCain pulls the microphone away from her, while shaking his head in emphatic disagreement with the point she was about to make, and he said "No ma'am, no that's not true, he is a decent man, a decent, family man."

This is not, obviously, the majority opinion of Americans, who are actually well-educated and moderate.
Cyrus
Jun24-09, 06:37 PM
P: 4,780
What do you honestly expect from this thread, page after page of facts and/or praise about arabs/muslims? How is anyone supposed to give you an answer without page after page of facts and figures about the middle east?

Ivan Seeking
Jun24-09, 07:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
What do you know about arabs and muslims?

Quote Quote by moamen811 View Post
i'm from Egypt and i always hear wrong and bad things about muslims and arabs said in the western media..(especially during Bush's reign)
and i noticed in this forum that most of u know good about us.but i want to know what do u hear and truly believe about us...i guess this will let us to know each other well....so i'm waiting for ur replys...
Obama was elected due in part to the fact that Americans want to reach out to our friends in the Middle East with an open hand, rather than shaking a clenched fist. Obviously not all Americans feel this way, but it is the opinion of the majority. Also, we did need to learn to understand who had attacked us, and why. It took time for people to recognize the difference between the bad guys, and the good guys from the Middle East. Some people take more time to learn the difference than do others. Likewise, we are not the Great Satan. Most Americans want to live in peace.

We have very large populations of people from the Middle East in many areas of the US. I'm sure that a large percentage of us have at least one Middle Eastern friend.
coverme
Jun24-09, 07:15 PM
P: 48
arabian-I suppose they are very devoted to religion
mgb_phys
Jun24-09, 07:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,954
Arab is the captain in Moby Dick and Muslim is a kind of thin cloth
George Jones
Jun24-09, 07:26 PM
Mentor
P: 6,232
Most muslims are neither arab nor from the Middle East.
Math Is Hard
Jun24-09, 07:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,923
Threads that discuss religion are almost never allowed here. I can't imagine that we'd ever allow a "What do you know about Christians?" thread, so I don't think this topic is acceptable either.

edit: That said, some other people here have convinced me that some good points have been made in this thread, and it might be worth salvaging. I am hesitantly re-opening this. Please be respectful to each other and stay on topic.
Astronuc
Jun24-09, 09:20 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
What do you honestly expect from this thread, . . .
Perhaps a thoughtful dialog and discussion.
rootX
Jun24-09, 09:30 PM
P: 1,294
what do u know about arabs and muslims??
They are people ..

For more details, refer to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosapiens
JasonRox
Jun24-09, 11:54 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
I spent 3 months partying with a Morrocan guy last summer. Greatest time ever. He's coming out on Sunday to try and find a place near me. Good times.

I used to hang out with two hot arab girls. One from Dubai and the other from Lebanon.

Yes, many of my friends are not from Canada/US. Much better quality people if you open your scope up globally. Current good buddy is from Albania. My girl from Hong Kong.
Phrak
Jun25-09, 12:43 AM
P: 4,513
Like what did you hear?
Phrak
Jun25-09, 12:55 AM
P: 4,513
Of the 21 conflicts going on in the world, 15 have a muslim participants. Why?
berkeman
Jun25-09, 01:07 AM
Mentor
P: 40,715
This thread has some promise. Please do your best to keep it open and productive. Thanks.
Vanadium 50
Jun25-09, 01:57 AM
Mentor
P: 16,177
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
Of the 21 conflicts going on in the world, 15 have a muslim participants. Why?
There are about 45 majority Muslim states with at least a million people. There are about 140 states with at least a million people. So with 21 conflicts, we'd expect maybe 11 or 12 to have one or two Muslim participants. Do you want to argue 15 is significantly more?
Greg Bernhardt
Jun25-09, 02:00 AM
Admin
P: 9,328
I was in Egypt last month and for the record, whether arab or muslim or whatever, I found the Egyptian people to be fantastic
OAQfirst
Jun25-09, 04:03 AM
P: 65
From the videos they post on YouTube, behavior-wise, they seem indistinguishable from everyone else. Diet, dress and various customs are different, like with every other culture. Personally, I like a little flavor in our species. This world would be awfully boring if there was only one culture, language, color, styles...
math_04
Jun25-09, 04:27 AM
P: 104
Well, Arabs are like any other demographic, they have both good and bad people. I have been to Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Oman. Although the culture and traditions are similar, there have slightly different types of food. But I will add that non Arabs are probably the majority in Islam and is practiced by people of varying cultures and demographics. So it would be hard to reply to a question about what I know about Muslims.

Register to reply