Application for statistics and probability

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a computer application that can create charts, bar graphs, and pie charts using inputted values. The suggestions given include Microsoft Word, Excel, OpenOffice Calc, Numbers (for Mac users), and R (a statistical analysis program). One of the posters also suggests against commissioning custom software and provides links to free alternatives.
learningisfun
HI
I'm not to sure where to place this post.
I'm looking for a computer application where I could plug values into get charts , bar graphs pie charts etc. I do not have very much experience in this field , but I want to play around. If you guys know of any great programs that can produce this that would be great?

Physics news on Phys.org
Microsoft word might work

oh thanks for moving the post, I will look around here

This all seems like something you could do with Excel. However, the stastical analysis program of choice is R. (just the letter).

MATLAB? :biggrin:

Actually, given your requirements, you should probably just use Excel (or the OpenOffice equivalent, Calc), or Numbers (if you have a Mac and don't have Excel or Calc), as maverick_starstrider suggests.

EDIT: And especially don't go around commissioning wheel-reinventing software as one of the above posters suggests.

EDIT2: If you don't have MS Office, here're links to the free and open-source OpenOffice, and a tutorial for CALC (I think 'Charting Data' is in the first tutorial):
http://www.openoffice.org/
http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/category_index/spreadsheet.html

Last edited:

What is the purpose of statistics and probability in scientific research?

Statistics and probability are used to analyze and interpret data in scientific research. It allows researchers to make informed conclusions and predictions based on the data collected. It also helps to identify patterns and trends in the data, and determine the significance of these findings.

What are some common applications of statistics and probability in scientific studies?

Statistics and probability are used in various fields of science, such as biology, psychology, economics, and environmental science. Some common applications include hypothesis testing, data analysis, experimental design, and modeling. They are also used in quality control and decision-making processes in industries such as healthcare and finance.

How do you determine the appropriate statistical test for a given research question?

The choice of statistical test depends on the type of data collected and the research question being investigated. Factors such as the level of measurement, sample size, and number of variables can also impact the choice of test. Consulting with a statistician or using statistical software can help in selecting the most appropriate test for a specific research question.

What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics are used to summarize and describe the characteristics of a data set, such as measures of central tendency and variability. Inferential statistics, on the other hand, are used to make inferences and predictions about a population based on a sample of data. In other words, descriptive statistics describe what is observed in the data, while inferential statistics make broader generalizations.

How do you ensure the data used for statistical analysis is reliable and valid?

To ensure reliability and validity, the data must be collected using appropriate methods and techniques. This includes using random sampling, controlling for confounding variables, and ensuring the data is free from errors or biases. It is also important to use established and validated measures and to properly analyze and interpret the data to avoid drawing incorrect conclusions.