How To Remove Coating On Very Thin Headset Wires?

by Lancelot59
Tags: coating, headset, remove, wires
Lancelot59
Aug31-09, 10:01 PM
P: 668
Actually I just tried fire...and the wire ignited. :/

But it worked! I just need to be quicker, I could actually see the coating coming off the wire.

I cleaned it off and the multimeter gave me a nice 0.01 OHM resistance.

I'll check back once I finish with the rest.
Lancelot59
Sep1-09, 12:27 AM
I'm back. It worked out. The connection job on the broken cable was a bit messy.

For one the cables weren't very willing to accept solder. Secondly I couldn't twist them the way I wanted to, so that they just twined into each other. Instead I had to twist them in a manner such that they stuck out the side, and then had to smear the solder on.

Then a little heatshrink and electrical tape to cover up the whole job. It works now.

Thanks for your help everyone.
vk6kro
Sep1-09, 01:11 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,003
Yes, you would have to get all the oxide off the wires before they would solder properly. Smearing solder on might work for a while, but it isn't a proper joint.

Having used heat, you either have to scrape the oxide off (very hard to do with thin wires) or dip the wires in Hydrochloric acid and then solder quickly.
Lancelot59
Sep1-09, 01:46 AM
Well lesson learned. Next time I'll be sure to do a better job.

I did go at it with steel wool to get the oxide off...unfourtinately I don't have any chemical stores located anywhere nearby so HCL isn't the easiest thing for me to grab. :/
negitron
Sep1-09, 08:44 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 842
A good RA flux will also aid in soldering lightly or partially oxidized wires. Most flux-cored solders for electronics use an RMA flux which isn't quite strong enough to attack heavier oxide deposits.
Lancelot59
Sep1-09, 11:45 AM
What is the difference between RA and RMA Flux?
negitron
Sep1-09, 08:03 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 842
http://www.efd-inc.com/Solder/Flux/

Rosin Mildly Activated (RMA)
Consists of rosin, solvent, and a small amount of activator. Most RMA flux is fairly low in activity and best suited to easily solderable surfaces. RMA flux residue is clear, soft, non-corrosive, and non-conductive.Cleaning is optional. Residue may be removed with an appropriate solvent.

Rosin Activated (RA)
Consists of rosin, solvent, and aggressive activators. RA flux has higher activity than RMA for moderately oxidized surfaces. RA flux residue is corrosive and should be removed as soon as possible after reflow to prevent damage to your assembly. Maximum safe time before cleaning is product dependent. Residue may be removed with an appropriate solvent.
Lancelot59
Sep1-09, 09:17 PM
Ah, I see now.

Register to reply