Register to reply

Difference between Continuity and Derivatives.

by cjaylee
Tags: continuity, derivatives, difference
Share this thread:
cjaylee
Oct3-09, 11:57 AM
P: 7
Hey. I am quite confused by continuity and derivatives. Both are finding the limits of a particular function as x approaches a. Then why is it that a graph that is continuous cannot be differentiable? If it is continuous, it means that the limit exists and so, it should be differentiable right?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
Hurkyl
Oct3-09, 12:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
If p is three, does that mean q has to be three as well?

The limits used in the definitions of continuity and differentiability of a function f are different limits.
daniel_i_l
Oct3-09, 01:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 867
For example, a function with a "point" (f(x)=|x| has a point at x=0) can be continuous but not differentiable since the derivative is different on either side of the point.

HallsofIvy
Oct3-09, 05:39 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,491
Difference between Continuity and Derivatives.

Quote Quote by cjaylee View Post
Hey. I am quite confused by continuity and derivatives. Both are finding the limits of a particular function as x approaches a. Then why is it that a graph that is continuous cannot be differentiable? If it is continuous, it means that the limit exists and so, it should be differentiable right?
What "limit exists"? The limit you look at to determine if f(x) is continuous at x= a, is [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex] while the limit you look at to determine if f(x) is differentiable at x= a is [itex]\lim_{h\to a} (f(a+h)- f(a))/h[/itex]. It is easy to show that if a function is differentiable at x= a, it must be continuous but the other way is not true.

Register to reply