Solving Stubborn Integral: Help Needed

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an indefinite integral with a positive real number as the exponent. The person seeking help suggests using a computer algebra system, but it is noted that even Mathematica may not be able to solve it. The conversation then specifies variables and suggests using WolframAlpha, but the answer given includes a "Root" function which is unfamiliar. It is concluded that the integral is likely not solvable.
qspeechc
Hi

I'm trying to evaluate the following indefinite integral, where s is any positive real number

[tex] \int \frac{du}{ \sqrt{Au^{s+2}+Bu^2+Cu+D} }[/tex]

For any A,B,C,D, and u is zero at [tex]\pm \infty[/tex] I don't need to know how to do it, you can evaluate it on some computer algebra system. Any help thanks?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica can't do it, doubt any other computer systems will be able to either. If you could specify more of your variables it might help.

Ok, s is a positive integer, and A=-1/(1+s)(2+s), that's as specific as I can get. Or, simply looking at the cases s=1,2,3,4. Thanks.

Even if s=1 it seems like a very complex elliptic integral.

The simplest it can be made into is evaluated by Mathematica if you enter "integrate 1/( x^3+ ax^2+bx+c)^(1/2) dx" into www.wolframalpha.com .

I've never seen that "Root" function or notation before though.

Er, yea, wolframalpha gives a strange answer, what is # supposed to represent? But thanks anyway.

I think it may signify a certain root of a high degree polynomial. Although I can't make out more than that. Sorry, I think that integral you have is pretty much not doable.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a specific interval.

2. Why are some integrals considered "stubborn"?

Some integrals are considered stubborn because they cannot be solved using traditional integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. These integrals often involve complex functions or involve special functions like trigonometric functions.

3. How do I solve a stubborn integral?

There are a few different approaches to solving stubborn integrals. One method is to use numerical integration techniques, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. Another method is to use approximation methods, such as Taylor series expansions. Additionally, there are several online integral solvers that can be used to find an approximate solution.

4. Can you provide some tips for solving stubborn integrals?

One tip is to try different integration techniques, such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution. Another tip is to simplify the integrand by using algebraic manipulation or trigonometric identities. It can also be helpful to break the integral into smaller pieces and solve each piece separately.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving stubborn integrals?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving stubborn integrals include incorrect application of integration techniques, forgetting to add the constant of integration, and not simplifying the integrand before attempting to integrate. It is also important to check your final answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.