Finding the mass of our Galaxy and the number of stars in it.

In summary: So, even though the number of stars in the galaxy is only 10% of the total mass, it's still a lot of stars!
seizureboi

Homework Statement

The sun rotates around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy at a distance of about 30,000 light-years from the center (1 light year=9.5x10^15 meters). If it takes about 200 million years to make one rotation, estimate the mass of our Galaxy. Assume that the mass distribution of our Galaxy is concentrated mostly in a central uniform sphere. If all the stars had about the mass of our sun (2x10^30 kg), how many stars would there be in our Galaxy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the mass of the Galaxy I got 3.44425x10^41 and I got a total of 1.72213x10^11 stars. I don't think these answers are correct. HELP!?

Physics news on Phys.org
172 billion stars looks pretty close. How did you get those answers, and why do you think they're wrong?

Turns out I am right. What I did was first convert 200,000,000 years to seconds which gave me 6.3072x10^15 seconds/revolution around the center of the galaxy. Then I plugged the given items into the formula (4pi^2r^3)/(GxT^2), where "r" stands for radius (2.85x10^20), "G" standing for the gravitational constant (6.67x10^-11), and "T" standing for the period (6.3072x10^15). This gave me the mass of the galaxy (3.44425x10^41) and then I took that number and divided it by the mass of the sun since the question says to assume the mass of all other stars to be the same as the sun's, thus giving me the amount of stars in the galaxy (1.72213x10^11).

Exactly correct method - however if you count the number of stars in the galaxy it's <10% of this.
We are trying to work out what the rest of the dark mass is.

Actually, 172 billion is pretty close to the number of stars in the galaxy. The reason the OP didn't get 10 times this value is because the question assumes the mass of the galaxy is uniformly distributed in a spherical fashion. That's dead wrong: the galaxy is more like a disk than a sphere, and a disk doesn't behave as if all its mass is concentrated at its geometrical center.

1. How do scientists find the mass of our Galaxy?

Scientists use various methods to determine the mass of our Galaxy, including measuring the rotational velocity of stars and gas in the outer regions of the Galaxy, studying the motion of globular clusters, and observing the gravitational lensing effect caused by the Galaxy's mass on light from distant objects.

2. What is the estimated mass of our Galaxy?

The estimated mass of our Galaxy is about 1-2 trillion times the mass of the Sun. However, this is just an approximation as the exact mass is difficult to determine due to the vastness of the Galaxy and the limitations of current technology.

3. How many stars are there in our Galaxy?

It is estimated that there are about 100-400 billion stars in our Galaxy. However, this number is constantly changing as new stars are being formed and others are dying.

4. How do scientists determine the number of stars in our Galaxy?

Scientists use various methods to estimate the number of stars in our Galaxy, including counting the number of stars in a given region and extrapolating it to the entire Galaxy, studying the distribution of stars in different regions, and using computer simulations to model the formation and evolution of stars in our Galaxy.

5. Is it possible to accurately determine the mass and number of stars in our Galaxy?

While scientists have made significant progress in understanding the mass and number of stars in our Galaxy, it is still a difficult and ongoing process. The vastness and complexity of our Galaxy make it challenging to accurately measure these quantities, but advancements in technology and research continue to improve our understanding.