by Evo
Tags: baby, cold, evo
Evo
Jan5-10, 12:02 PM
Mentor
P: 25,926
Anyone not getting snow?

My forecast for tomorrow aka "Evo Alert"
* AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP THROUGH THE REGION WEDNESDAY EVENING... WITH WINDS INCREASING TO BETWEEN 20 AND 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH POSSIBLE BY THURSDAY MORNING. THIS WILL CREATE SIGNIFICANT TO SEVERE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE AT TIMES. VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED TO BELOW ONE HALF MILE WITH ROADS BECOMING NEAR IMPASSIBLE... ESPECIALLY OVER RURAL AND OPEN AREAS.

* DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THURSDAY AS TEMPERATURES FALL THROUGH THE SINGLE DIGITS AND BELOW ZERO. WIND CHILL VALUES OF 20 TO 30 BELOW ZERO WILL BECOME WIDESPREAD... CREATING A POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING SITUATION FOR Evo CAUGHT OUTDOORS AND UNPROTECTED FOR MORE THAN A FEW MINUTES.
And I am supposed to see the doctor tomorrow and I still haven't replaced my donut tire from when I got that flat, and the stupid car is only a few inches off the ground.

Turbo has been hit pretty bad, Even Kurdt in England is getting 5 inches of snow today.

My aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchards near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.

How's your weather?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_winter_weather
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
lisab
Jan5-10, 12:07 PM
Mentor
P: 2,914
Western Washington state weather is well within the normal range...drizzly rain, in the 40s. Gray, gray, gray sky.

I actually like it .
Jimmy Snyder
Jan5-10, 12:13 PM
P: 2,163
My mother was in the hospital last week. She wants to live independently in her own house, but that is increasingly difficult for her to do. While she was laid up, I rounded up some of her grandchildren and we rearranged the furniture in her house so that she no longer needs to climb stairs. This involved putting some things from downstairs into the basement to make room for things from upstairs to come down. When we were done, one of the kids turned off the lights in the basement, except it wasn't the lights, it was the furnace. When I brought her home Sunday night, it was frigid, and being in the house just cut down on the wind-chill factor. We didn't get any snow, just bitter cold.

Math Is Hard
Jan5-10, 12:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921

Baby it's cold outside

I'm not even going to tell you about the weather here.
Evo
Jan5-10, 12:16 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
I'm not even going to tell you about the weather here.
Come visit me MIH! The weather will be lovely.
Math Is Hard
Jan5-10, 12:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
I will bring you some sunshine.
Evo
Jan5-10, 12:18 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
I will bring you some sunshine.
Bring heat.
rewebster
Jan5-10, 12:24 PM
P: 880
In central Illinois (America), highs maybe in the high teens (+ or- 5 degrees F) for about the last week and lows at night basically zero (+ or - five degrees F)---same forecast for the next week.

---with only one frozen pipe (on an exterior wall) so far

even the new dog, now house broken, is setting new time records for getting her jobs done when outside to get back inside

-now is the time for a good woman friend with a nice warm way of thinking
mgb_phys
Jan5-10, 12:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
Can I recommend you host the winter olympics?
This time last year we had been under 1m of snow for a month.
This year warm, sunny and snow free.
drankin
Jan5-10, 12:27 PM
P: 175
And my poor wife is stuck "working" in Hawaii. Life's tough all around.
S_Happens
Jan5-10, 12:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 301
We're not getting snow in Houston... yet. Right now it's in the mid 40s. There's a chance of sleet/snow later this week and friday it's going to be close to freezing all day (very strange for Houston).

We'll see how my ski trip to Colorado later this month turns out
rewebster
Jan5-10, 12:31 PM
P: 880
on these coldest days ---usually a high pressure dome---there are no clouds or few--PERFECT for rooftop solar panels----

--thats another desire for the new year---SOLAR PANELS ON EVERY SQUARE INCH OF THE ROOF
Borek
Jan5-10, 12:38 PM
Admin
P: 22,666
A little bit of snow lying on the ground (say 5 inches) and few degrees below our zero, closer to your zero during the night. No wind, so it is quite bearable.
Sorry!
Jan5-10, 12:45 PM
P: 571
well, this is the first snow in my area all winter basically. It had snowed on Christmas Eve but that was all melted by Christmas morning. Right now it's been snowing quite steady since yesterday morning but it seems only to have accumulated around 6cm.
I remember as a child we would always have a white Christmas and although it wasn't as much as most of the areas surrounding us we still got quite a bit. (Mississauga is weird, I think it gets the least amount of snow in all of Southern Ontario) I hope sometime soon we start getting heavy snowfalls I like it when it snows.
Jonathan Scott
Jan5-10, 12:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,129
Here in central southern England (near Southampton), we've got snow tonight, but so far here it's melting immediately here as we are a whisker above freezing. Only a few miles to the east (towards Portsmouth), traffic is now at a standstill because of heavy snow, and there's a "severe weather warning" for most of the area around here warning of a foot of snow overnight, which would be the most in this area since about 1963. However, Southampton and its immediate vicinity are now excluded from this warning, much the annoyance of my kids, who were hoping to be off school and playing in the snow tomorrow.

Our infrastructure here down in the south can't handle snow, as it's not considered a worth-while investment to cope with once-in-a-decade weather conditions. Major routes will be salted and gritted, but we don't have snow ploughs or similar in this area and smaller roads will be very difficult, especially where there is any slope. If there is snow, most schools in the area will close. However, I work from home, so I'd still be working as normal.
waht
Jan5-10, 01:05 PM
P: 1,636
Temperatures holding steady 20 F/ -7 C for entire week with an inch blanket of snow.

I'd like to do some outdoor activities but it's too cold. Can't wait until it warms up.
Borek
Jan5-10, 01:11 PM
Admin
P: 22,666
-7 deg C and it is TOO COLD? Where do you live, Bora-Bora?
TheStatutoryApe
Jan5-10, 01:12 PM
P: 1,549
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Western Washington state weather is well within the normal range...drizzly rain, in the 40s. Gray, gray, gray sky.

I actually like it .
I would rather be there.

Evo, MIH and I will send you some sunshine care packages.

Register to reply