Register to reply

Maximum height and length on an incline.

by center o bass
Tags: projectile
Share this thread:
center o bass
Feb11-10, 01:13 PM
P: 461
Hey I wondered what the best way to proceed about fiding the maximum lenght of a projectile when fired at an angle relative to an incline. Would a coordinate axis along the incline be the best choice? Then I could solve the equations for when y = 0, but it would also result in an acceleration in both dimentions.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
tiny-tim
Feb11-10, 02:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Hi center o bass! Welcome to PF!
Quote Quote by center o bass View Post
Hey I wondered what the best way to proceed about fiding the maximum lenght of a projectile when fired at an angle relative to an incline. Would a coordinate axis along the incline be the best choice?
Nah too complicated.

The hillside is linear, but your acceleration equations are quadratic, so keep the acceleration equations as simple as possible.
center o bass
Feb11-10, 02:36 PM
Thank you! :) I'm from Norway and I was looking for some good norwegian physics forums, but I couldnt find any. This forum however seems very good with lots of activity and lots of diffrent topics.

Maximum height isn't really a problem when I think about it, but lenght is a bit tricky.

So what if I assume that the projectile crosses the incline at the height y=h and i solve my second order equation for this time.. Then i subsitute this time into the component desciribing the x-position giving me x as a function of the angle? What do you think?

tiny-tim
Feb11-10, 02:56 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Maximum height and length on an incline.

So what if I assume that the projectile crosses the incline at the height y=h and i solve my second order equation for this time.. Then i subsitute this time into the component desciribing the x-position giving me x as a function of the angle? What do you think?
Yes, doing y first, finding t, then doing x (or the other way round), should be fine.
What do you get?
center o bass
Feb11-10, 03:23 PM
The y-component of the position is give by

[tex]y(t) = v_0 \sin \theta t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2 = h[/tex]

solving this for t i get

[tex] t* = \frac{v_0 \sin \theta \pm \sqrt{v_0^2 \sin^2 \theta -2gh}}{g}[/tex]

substituting this into [tex]x(t) = v_0 \cos \theta t[/tex] and assuming its the positive root that is valid i get

[tex]x(t*) = \frac{1}{g} (v_0 \cos \theta \sin \theta + \cos \theta \sqrt{v_0^2 \sin^2 \theta - 2gh}) = \frac{1}{g} \left( \frac{1}{2} v_0 \sin 2\theta + \sqrt{\frac{1}{4} v_0^2 \sin^2 2\theta - 2gh}\right)[/tex]

giving that the angle that maxemises the expression is [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] which is reasonable and the same as for a projectile shot out from a straight line. Is this correct? :)
tiny-tim
Feb11-10, 03:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Sorry, I'm confused where have you used y/x = slope of the hill?

(and π/2 is vertical)
center o bass
Feb11-10, 03:56 PM
Sorry. It is ofcourse [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] that maxemises the expression. I have not used the slope I assumed that the angle was bigger than the angle of the hill so that the projectile would follow a path and hit the hill at a height h.

In simplifying the expression I have used the trigonometric identity [tex]\sin \theta \cos \theta = \frac{1}{2}\sin 2\theta[/tex].

Are you with me?
How would one use the slope of the hill?
center o bass
Feb12-10, 03:45 PM
I am unsure of this, so it would be great if anyone confirmed if this is true or not :)
tiny-tim
Feb12-10, 03:58 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
How would one use the slope of the hill?
If the slope of the hill is k, so that y = kx, then you need to get two equations, one for x and t, and one for y and t, and then eliminate t and put y = kx.

Register to reply