by Cyrus
Tags: aerospace, engineer, life
Share this thread:
mugaliens
Jan6-10, 04:39 PM
P: 595
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
New blurb about the Predator C.
Cool! I'm surprised it can carry the Paveway and the JDAM, given their weights. If it's that radically more capable than the original Predator, why not give it a new name? Are they running out of names??? How about the Dodo? (Direct Objective Destruction (somethingorother)) LoL!
Cyrus
Jan18-10, 04:44 PM
P: 4,777
I was at a DARPA workshop last thursday. Some overall thoughts.

http://aerospaceindustrynews.webs.co...ormer-workshop
mugaliens
Jan19-10, 12:54 AM
P: 595
Interesting: "DARPA also wants the vehicle to use commonly available military fuels, including AVGAS and MOGAS."

Is DARPA aware that just about every US Army and US Air Force land and air vehicle, burns JP-8?

I don't know what the Army ships burn. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Cyrus
Feb18-10, 05:44 PM
I got to sit in on a talk by Maj. Jen Joe Engle, test pilot of the X-15 and Space shuttle. Very, very nice guy and interesting talk!

http://aerospaceindustrynews.webs.co...ound-good-guy-

vargasjc
Feb18-10, 07:36 PM
P: 28
So what do you think would be a good use for a UAV other than military? As you said, the technology is mature, and if technology follows the same path it always has, we should be seeing civilian applications very very very soon. But what are they?
Brian_C
Feb18-10, 08:31 PM
P: 261
Quote Quote by vargasjc View Post
So what do you think would be a good use for a UAV other than military? As you said, the technology is mature, and if technology follows the same path it always has, we should be seeing civilian applications very very very soon. But what are they?
Law enforcement and search/rescue come to mind.
Cyrus
Feb18-10, 08:55 PM
Quote Quote by vargasjc View Post
The use of a UAV is to gather Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) information. Not really something every day people can use; however, the flight control algorithms used to fly them are. They can pave the way (pun intended) for a 'highway in the sky' type network in the National Air System (NAS).
MotoH
Feb18-10, 09:57 PM
P: 237
Can the UAV's and UCAV's perform evasive maneuvers if taking small arms fire? (specifically the helo's when they do eventually go into action) Is there any way to tell if they are taking fire from the operators station?
vargasjc
Feb19-10, 09:43 AM
P: 28
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
The use of a UAV is to gather Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) information. Not really something every day people can use; however, the flight control algorithms used to fly them are. They can pave the way (pun intended) for a 'highway in the sky' type network in the National Air System (NAS).
You mean the interfacing systems to control the UAV remotely? I find that very interesting. I don't have any experience with that, but I imagine it's an orchestra of algorithms that have been written just to interpret and translate human inputs into actions the UAV can actually perform intuitively. I want to see that technology reach more and more specialized consumer products, or at the very least in tooling equipment, and in the transportation industry.

Those UAVs are nifffty. I want to have one, dismantle it, and play with the parts.
Cyrus
Feb20-10, 07:31 PM
One of the highlights of the year, engineering family day. If you have the opportunity to expose kids to engineering, do so. This was my third year volunteering.

http://aerospaceindustrynews.webs.co...or-the-family-

Photo Copyright: B. Bush - 2009

Register to reply