A question from the Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad

In summary, the Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad is a highly esteemed annual mathematics competition for high school students in Russia and other former Soviet republics. It is known for its difficulty and emphasis on problem-solving skills, and has a rich history with many renowned mathematicians and scientists being past winners. The competition includes a variety of challenging problems from different math fields, and is only open to high school students who are citizens or permanent residents of Russia or other former Soviet republics. To prepare for the Olympiad, one must have a strong foundation in math and practice extensively with past problems.
slayer16
Hey guys. I got a book that has selected problems/questions the from Russian/Soviet Math Olympics. Anyhow, I'm having trouble with a particular question that involves a quartic equation that, up to my knowledge, can't be factored. I was wondering if there are any tips or methods to solve for them. I have also been doing some research about solving quartic equations, and supposedly you need two equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Giving us the question would be a good start :tongue:

1. What is the Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad?

The Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad is a prestigious annual mathematics competition for high school students in Russia and other former Soviet republics. It was first held in 1934 and has since become one of the most challenging and renowned math competitions in the world.

2. How is the Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad different from other math competitions?

The Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad is known for its difficulty and emphasis on problem-solving skills rather than memorization of formulas. It also has a rich history and legacy, with many renowned mathematicians and scientists being past winners of the competition.

3. What types of problems are typically included in the Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad?

The Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad includes a variety of challenging math problems from various fields such as algebra, geometry, number theory, and combinatorics. These problems often require creative and out-of-the-box thinking to solve.

4. Can anyone participate in the Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad?

No, the Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad is only open to high school students who are citizens or permanent residents of Russia or other former Soviet republics. However, there are similar international math competitions that are open to students from all over the world.

5. How can one prepare for the Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad?

Preparing for the Russian/Soviet Math Olympiad requires a strong foundation in mathematics and extensive problem-solving practice. Many past participants recommend studying advanced math topics and practicing with past Olympiad problems to improve one's skills and increase their chances of success.