Another math REU thread

by owlpride
Tags: math
sutupidmath
Mar12-10, 03:40 PM
P: 1,635
I got an offer from BYU today, and accepted it rightaway! I am very excited about it!
eNew
Mar15-10, 02:09 PM
P: 8
Congratulations on BYU!! That's where I am going too!

I got accepted into a bunch a schools with very little time to decide, so I chose based off of research topics. Are you doing the Commutative Algebra program?
eNew
Mar15-10, 02:11 PM
Quote Quote by sutupidmath View Post
I got an offer from BYU today, and accepted it rightaway! I am very excited about it!
Oh and to add to my above statement, I just realized that we talked earlier about how I applied to 18 schools and you applied to much fewer. Weird we're ending up in the same place.
sutupidmath
Mar15-10, 03:48 PM
Quote Quote by eNew View Post
Congratulations on BYU!! That's where I am going too!

I got accepted into a bunch a schools with very little time to decide, so I chose based off of research topics. Are you doing the Commutative Algebra program?
When i applied for BYU i mentioned that i would strongly prefer to work on Commutative Algebra, but i also made sure to let them know that i would be happy with any other research topic.

So, in the email that they send me they did not mention specifically whether i was assigned a group, yet, or not, it simply stated that they wanted me to be a participant in their program.

However, i emailed Dr. Dorff, two days ago, accepting the offer rightaway, and i asked him about this, but i haven't gotten a reply yet.

How did you figure out that you are in C. Alg. group?
eNew
Mar17-10, 02:21 PM
I was told in my email. Any luck finding out in the last two days?
kungfumaster1
Mar18-10, 12:40 PM
P: 7
Has anyone heard back from the UIUC math REU? Their deadline was just this Monday, but I was wondering if offers had already been made simply because the deadline was so late.
jgm340
Mar18-10, 08:12 PM
P: 103
I applied to the UIUC REU, but I have not heard back yet.

I anticipate a rejection, but I would think it would take at least a week for decisions to be made.
zpconn
Mar18-10, 08:46 PM
P: 243
I got an offer to participate in MASS at Penn State yesterday and I'm having a rough time figuring out whether I should do it or not.

I have no doubt it would be an extremely rewarding and worthwhile experience. It seems like a great and one-of-a-kind program.

But going would basically mess up my plans here at my home institution. I'm currently planning on finishing the graduate sequences in algebra, topology, and real analysis (measure theory) next year. If I go to MASS, all of that--and that is a lot of really significant material--will have to be delayed an entire year and I don't think there would really be any math classes for me to take next spring semester (the ones I would take have as prerequisites classes I would need to take next semester).

Deep down, I think I should stay here and finish the standard graduate sequences next year, but it's super hard to turn down MASS. Any thoughts on what I should do?
jgm340
Mar18-10, 09:21 PM
P: 103
zpconn, I think that graduate schools care most about:
1) Solid coursework demonstrating your preparadness and ability
2) Good recommendations to speak to your character

You need to look at whether MASS will help or hurt you with regard to those two factors.

There is a third factor, which has an indirect effect on the other two: a program like that may provide a lot more support in terms of your academic development than your home university. However, this is an uncertainty. You should try to separate this factor from the definite factors as you make your decision.
zpconn
Mar18-10, 09:54 PM
P: 243
Thank you for the advice.

MASS certainly appears to have solid coursework. The graduate coursework here is also very solid, though. I have three years left as an undergraduate, so there's something really appealing about maybe finishing the standard graduate sequences next year and then having two remaining years to focus on more specialized topics and maybe study abroad in Moscow (which I was planning on applying for next year, in fact, but have recently decided against it in favor of taking the graduate courses here first).
sutupidmath
Mar20-10, 01:49 AM
Quote Quote by zpconn View Post
Thank you for the advice.

MASS certainly appears to have solid coursework. The graduate coursework here is also very solid, though. I have three years left as an undergraduate, so there's something really appealing about maybe finishing the standard graduate sequences next year and then having two remaining years to focus on more specialized topics and maybe study abroad in Moscow (which I was planning on applying for next year, in fact, but have recently decided against it in favor of taking the graduate courses here first).
If i were you i would defenitely stay at your home institution and finish up the standard graduate sequence. You could then, like you said, go either to Moscow or Budapest. From what i've heard, they are both equally challenging if not more than MASS.
PieceOfPi
Mar21-10, 03:59 PM
P: 179
Has anyone heard anything from UC Santa Barbara and UNC Asheville?
W_M069
Mar21-10, 05:05 PM
P: 2
Still waiting to hear from UNC-Asheville and WPI......
W_M069
Mar22-10, 01:29 PM
P: 2
UNC-A has now updated its REU webpage:

"At this time we have nearly completed our selection process. Students who will be taking part in the program this summer will be notified soon."
PieceOfPi
Mar22-10, 02:20 PM
P: 179
Quote Quote by W_M069 View Post
UNC-A has now updated its REU webpage:

"At this time we have nearly completed our selection process. Students who will be taking part in the program this summer will be notified soon."
Thanks for letting me know about that. I wonder how "soon" they will notify those people. I also wonder if they will ever notify those who are not taking part in the program.
algebraicgeom
Mar22-10, 02:30 PM
P: 9
I know of people who have been accepted to UNC asheville...they found out a few weeks ago if I recall correctly
lilli
Mar22-10, 03:45 PM
P: 14
Got an offer from Mt Holyoke!
Anyone done this REU last year / knows anything about it?
algebraicgeom
Mar22-10, 03:52 PM
P: 9
Quote Quote by lilli View Post
Got an offer from Mt Holyoke!
Anyone done this REU last year / knows anything about it?
Which group did you get into? I had received an offer a few weeks ago and ended up choosing a different program as it more closely fit my personal research interests.

Everyone I had spoken to who did that program last summer all had very high recommendations, however they did make it clear that it was different adviser and topic. One of the main drawbacks to me, aside from the mathematics, to be completely honest, was the lack of a/c in the dormitories.

Register to reply