Commuation Relation

by eNtRopY
Tags: commuation, relation
eNtRopY
May10-03, 06:18 PM
P: n/a
Prove that if a periodic Hamiltonian operator commutes with the translation operator then these two operators can have simultaneous eigenstates.

{{ H(x) = H(x+a) }
& { T(a)f(x) = f(x+a) }
& { [T(a),H(x)] = 0 }
}
--> {{[uni][psi] [subset] complex functions, there exists [psi] [subset] complex functions
such that { H(x)[psi](x) = E[psi](x) }
& { T(a)[psi](x) = c(a)[psi](x) }
}

Thanks dudes.

eNtRopY
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
jonnylane
May12-03, 12:29 PM
is the periodic hamiltonian a harmonic oscillator function?
eNtRopY
May12-03, 01:15 PM
No it's independent of time. I mean that it is periodic in space... like a Bloch function.

V(x+a) = V(x)

Actually, I believe I figured out the answer, but if you guys want to post your answer that's cool too.

eNtRopY

Tom Mattson
May14-03, 03:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,540

Commuation Relation

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Prove that if a periodic Hamiltonian operator commutes with the translation operator then these two operators can have simultaneous eigenstates.
Are you sure that's the problem? I ask because any two operators that commute can have simultaneous eigenstates; the "periodic" condition has nothing to do with it.

Methinks you are supposed to be finding an explicit expression for what exactly those eigenstates are.

In this case, |θ>=Σeinθ|n> (n goes from -[oo] to +[oo]) is an eigenstate of τ(a) with eigenvalue e-iθ.

This is from Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics pp. 261-263.

Register to reply