Register to reply

Friends & I saw a zig-zagging star

by khz
Tags: friends, star, zigzagging
Share this thread:
khz
Apr15-10, 07:48 AM
P: 16
I was sitting with friends on the street, and we saw what appeared to be a star that was zigzagging. Of course, it wasn't a star. The zig-zagging wasn't in straight lines or anything, it was just moving, faster than any plane, it was very far away (just appeared as a pinpoint of light), and wasn't moving in a straight line. It moved across perhaps 1/3 of the visible skyline in a few minutes. We weren't drinking or on any drugs.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Evo
Apr15-10, 10:37 AM
Mentor
P: 26,537
If it was last night, it was a meteor.
zomgwtf
Apr15-10, 10:48 AM
P: 500
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Yup, there are many of possible explanations for why some meteors appear to travel in a jagged or zigzag path. Most likely it's because it was travelling in a spiral or the meteor path split up, remember we only have one point of view down here of the incoming object.

Do you by any chance live in North/central USA... or around there? There was a pretty spectacular midair explosion last night from a meteor which had broken apart, maybe you didn't see the explosion for some reason but instead saw one of the pieces which broke off, or maybe you saw the original meteor tumbling?

Ivan Seeking
Apr15-10, 11:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
Friends & I saw a zig-zagging star

I've never heard of a meteor taking several minutes to cross the sky. Also, our friend here seems to be in the wrong location to have seen the meteor reported last night.
MotoH
Apr15-10, 11:24 AM
P: 237
Could have been the clouds moving around it. Clouds can make stars appear to move in sporadic patterns. When you look at venus at night, and the clouds are whipping by, it makes it look like it is moving around.
khz
Apr15-10, 11:27 AM
Few years ago. Since this is the case, my memory of the actual visual image in my mind is no longer like a movie. What I do remember is being with 3 friends, looking at a star-like light dot in the sky not moving linearly, having sporadic motion, seemingly without regard to inertia (i.e. it wouldn't stop then go another direction, it would just be going in different directions). We were starting at it constantly for the time we were observing it (perhaps 10 minutes) - so it's not like we stopping looking then looked up and went "oh hey it moved from where it was".

I do not see how clouds could've produced the illusion, but who knows.

It did not seem to be controlled intelligently based on our knowledge of the various reasons of why crafts would change direction, but I cannot think of any alternative explanation. Although, even if it was an alien spacecraft, I see no reason why it would be emitting photons, unless it had something to do with a byproduct of their propulsion system. Then again, it seems strange, if it was an alien spacecraft, why it would have been travelling so slowly (if it could reach earth you'd expect something much more competent)
zomgwtf
Apr15-10, 11:28 AM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I've never heard of a meteor taking several minutes to cross the sky.
Could have be high altitude and grazing our atmosphere, or it could have been large and slow moving (hence the tumbling).

Also, our friend here seems to be in the wrong location to have seen the meteor reported last night.
How do you know that? He could have seen debris in the sky from many places... he could have even seen the original meteor prior to the fireball it created.
Greg Bernhardt
Apr15-10, 11:28 AM
Admin
P: 9,511
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/04/15/m...ex.html?hpt=T2
zomgwtf
Apr15-10, 11:31 AM
Quote Quote by khz View Post
Few years ago. Since this is the case, my memory of the actual visual image in my mind is no longer like a movie. What I do remember is being with 3 friends, looking at a star-like light dot in the sky not moving linearly, having sporadic motion, seemingly without regard to inertia (i.e. it wouldn't stop then go another direction, it would just be going in different directions). We were starting at it constantly for the time we were observing it.
Ohhh, I've seen these before. One time driving to New Brunswick on the TransCanada high way I looked out the car and saw a little speck of light moving around quite rapidly. It was day time mind you, couldn't have been a plane it changed directions too quickly and it would had to have been WAY too high (it only looked like a dot of light). I recall looking up an explanation and finding one but I can't seem to recall what it was exacty lol.
Ivan Seeking
Apr15-10, 11:31 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by zomgwtf View Post
How do you know that? He could have seen debris in the sky from many places... he could have even seen the original meteor prior to the fireball it created.
Staff members can determine the location of a poster. In fact he was on the wrong side of the planet.
Ivan Seeking
Apr15-10, 11:35 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
khz, perhaps you could share your location and the [local] time that you saw this?
khz
Apr15-10, 11:37 AM
khz, perhaps you could share your location and the [local] time that you saw this?
3.5-4 years ago, Sydney, Australia. I cannot specify a date: even so, it's unlikely to be corroborated from other sources, this sighting required you to be actually staring at the night sky, it was very covert, but at the same time it wasn't hallucinatory as those who I was with saw it as well.
zomgwtf
Apr15-10, 11:37 AM
Staff members can determine the location of a poster. In fact he was on the wrong side of the planet.
You could have just said you did an IP trace, kind of creeeeepy.
khz
Apr15-10, 11:38 AM
I recall looking up an explanation and finding one but I can't seem to recall what it was exacty lol.
Was it plausible? Did it require staring at the sun?
Greg Bernhardt
Admin
P: 9,511
You could have just said you did an IP trace, kind of creeeeepy.
PF has satellites, drones and agents EVERYWHERE, mauahahaha
Ivan Seeking
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
khz, also, it would be helpful to know the direction of travel.
Ivan Seeking
Apr15-10, 11:41 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
3.5-4 years ago, Sydney, Australia. I cannot specify a date: even so, it's unlikely to be corroborated from other sources, this sighting required you to be actually staring at the night sky, it was very covert, but at the same time it wasn't hallucinatory as those who I was with saw it as well.
Most likely, it seems to me, it was a satellite that appeared to be zigzagging due to the ideomotor effect.

Was the zigzagging subtle, or was the motion distinctive?
zomgwtf
Apr15-10, 11:42 AM
I was going to suggest "Scheerer's phenomenon" but can't be it if multiple people saw it, as well you were looking at the night sky which was presumably dark. So that rules that out... unless you were all having the phenomenon happen at the same time
Maybe it was a satellite... I'm pretty sure there's an phenomena associated with a 'zigzag' appearance of satellites.

EDIT: ++Ivan beat me to it and he got the name of the effect.

Register to reply