Astrophotography photos

by Phobos
Tags: astrophotography, photos
Share this thread:
russ_watters
Mar5-10, 10:21 AM
Mentor
P: 22,244
You should see the ice caps but mars is pretty small. A 2x Barlow may help.
MotoH
Mar5-10, 01:22 PM
P: 237
I don't want to piggy back on this thread, but it really isn't worthy of a thread itself.

I have my latitude set for my latitude (48deg.), the Declination set at 90 degrees, and the R.A is at 17(hours?). This should make it so when I point my telescope exactly north, Polaris will be in my telescope, correct? If it is perfectly lined up, will I then leave my telescope in this position, and only rotate the R.A. to get to all of the stars and planets?

Also my motor drive should turn the R.A. 1 hour for every hour it is running right? What about planet tracking? It will be faster than one hour?
russ_watters
Mar5-10, 03:17 PM
Mentor
You'll find with alt and Dec set the RA doesn't matter - just swing the counterweight below the scope for convenience. And yes - the point of the motor drive is tracking at the speed the earth rotates. Planets don't move enough faster or slower to matter in one night.....the moon and comets do though.
MotoH
Mar6-10, 10:34 PM

I just wanted to show my first telescope off. . .!
chemisttree
Mar11-10, 10:43 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
The time stamp shows year 2216. It's amazing that telescopes haven't changed much in all that time!
MotoH
Mar11-10, 11:51 AM
Something must have been blocking the antenna:
MotoH
Mar24-10, 02:29 PM
I took this one last night:
Anna13
May14-10, 05:41 AM
P: 1
WoW.
Your photo is brilliant,MotoH. I love it.
Chronos
May29-10, 03:37 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,386
Thanks a lot, guys, I just purchased new scope, ccd, and accessories. Only spent twice as much as planned [and still short a few extras]. I won't be ordering out for pizza in the foreseeable future. I will, however, be able to take beautiful close up shots of neighbors' pizza ... putting up sign next to scope - 1 slice per observer.
mikeph
Jun4-10, 03:48 AM
P: 1,212
Im going to go back and read this entire thread, but just thought I'll ask this now rather than later...

I am trying to do astrophotography with a DSLR. I just bought a D5000 + kit lens. I'm not expecting to take photos of galaxies or anything, hopefully just capture some detail on the moon and maybe some planets. Is this achievable with a standard 50mm f/1.8 lens? I'm thinking of buying one. I understand that if you want more a detail you can spend a lot on a telezoom lens but then you have to do some sort of tracking as well?

Going to try and get Mars which should be in the sky tomorrow I think, hopefully a series of 30 second images put together will give some brightness.

PS that moon picture above is awesome.

edit- considering getting the ridiculously cheap Nikon 70-300mm lens and try to get some 30 second exposures to put together. It seems that a lot of the "real" amateur stuff (telescope, tracking software, mounts) comes in at above a PhD student's budget so hopefully I can learn some things this way and then move up slowly.
russ_watters
Jun4-10, 05:44 AM
Mentor
The moon is a lot smaller than it looks to your eyes: you need a pretty long telephoto lens to take good pictures of it with a dslr. You don't need tracking or long exposure: it is very bright.

Mars is also very bright: you don't need long exposure for it either.
mikeph
Jun8-10, 08:12 AM
P: 1,212
Thanks Russ. Is 200mm long enough? I really only have a choice between a 55-200mm and a 70-300mm in my price range. The former would be much more useful in other areas, and it has VR.

Plus the camera has 1.6 crop factor.
chemisttree
Jun8-10, 12:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Thanks a lot, guys, I just purchased new scope, ccd, and accessories. Only spent twice as much as planned [and still short a few extras]. I won't be ordering out for pizza in the foreseeable future. I will, however, be able to take beautiful close up shots of neighbors' pizza ... putting up sign next to scope - 1 slice per observer.
Was that the 10" SN on the LXD75 mount?
russ_watters
Jun8-10, 08:12 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by MikeyW View Post
Thanks Russ. Is 200mm long enough? I really only have a choice between a 55-200mm and a 70-300mm in my price range. The former would be much more useful in other areas, and it has VR.

Plus the camera has 1.6 crop factor.
I'm not really sure how it works with DSLRs, but the math on that works out to 6x zoom. That's marginal, but should be OK for a start.
baywax
Jun22-10, 12:43 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,215
Thanks for inspiring me and my youngest boy, guys. First we need to master the telescope and get some clear skies. Then we need to figure out the camera end of it! We have an observatory in the middle of town... lots of light pollution. But Russ has shown how that can be overcome. There's another out at the university with less lights around. This is great, thanks again!
russ_watters
Jun24-10, 10:54 PM
Mentor
You're welcome!

The camera part is dangerous - once you rip the lens off a webcam and slap it onto the back of your telescope, there is no going back!
Chronos
Jun24-10, 11:03 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,386
Still mastering the scope, it is obdurate. Added 2 wraps of foam to mount dew cap. Looks good so far. Will need to add thumbscrew.
baywax
Jun25-10, 09:05 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,215
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
You're welcome!

The camera part is dangerous - once you rip the lens off a webcam and slap it onto the back of your telescope, there is no going back!

We're headed to the interior this summer with an old crappy 40 mm telescope but, the sky is so clear and extremely dark where we're going that you can see all 14 of the 7 sisters and one entire arm of our galaxy like it was attached to your shoulder. Webcams, web, cells, shoot 'em up games be damned! We've got a date with some very nice horses!

Register to reply