Register to reply

Needing Sincere Honesty from the men on Here...

by TR1KK1
Tags: honesty, needing
Share this thread:
TR1KK1
Jul7-10, 01:54 PM
P: n/a
Since I was a kid most of my friends have been guys. I have 3 brothers and no sisters so I was a tomboy in my younger years, and as I got older simply enjoyed the generally laid back demeanor of guys. Women seem too competitive with each other; quick to talk down about their girl "friends" in order to make themselves seem more appealing.

I am deeply in love with a guy who has constant issues with the fact that I have more guy friends than girl friends. Our latest argument has left me feeling completely disgusted with him. I am young, and still learning about relationships and am trying very hard to reach compromises with him so that he can feel comfortable in the relationship without allowing him to control me.

***He states that no man has any interest at all in spending time with a woman, or talking to them unless he is in pursuit of sleeping with her. He says that any guy friends I have are only hanging around in hopes that some day they will be able to **** me. he said he was the same till he "fell in love with me." I've had these friends from 3 to 10 years. To me that's a long time to put up with a "dumb girl that is uninteresting and only good for ****ing" when there has been no sexual nature in the relationship.

I need to know... I am sure that men aren't all so pathetic and shallow to think like that.
I just want to know the truth, I am so disgusted right now; how out of all the guys that actually enjoyed my company and liked me as a person, I quite possibly chose one of the most despicable, disrespectful men on the Earth to have fallen in love with. :(
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
arildno
Jul7-10, 02:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Love is blind. Unfortunately. Learn to live with it. Meaning: You WILL make mistakes.

And no, not all guys are as despicable as your boyfriend.
VeeEight
Jul7-10, 02:02 PM
P: 610
He is jealous. At the very worst, his girlfriend is a pin cushion and he is none the wiser. If you are confident in your friends, introduce him to them and let them be friends on their own (without you there) so they can build a bromance.

TubbaBlubba
Jul7-10, 02:04 PM
P: 106
Needing Sincere Honesty from the men on Here...

Get away from that man posthaste. Seriously. He sounds like some kind of sociopath who view other people as his tools for fun.
AUK 1138
Jul7-10, 02:33 PM
P: 25
He seems like a poor choice of mates. as to whether or not a man would be friends with a girl without wanting in her pants, it happens. i have girl friends who i've met through other people who i have no interest in sleeping with. i talk to girls i have no interest in sleeping with. now, don't get me wrong, if any of these women were to make a move on me, i'd probably go along with it. but i wouldn't initiate it. sadly, this only happens because I don't find them attractive enough for their personalities. ie, they aren't hot enough to balance out their traits that i don't find desirable.
Norman
Jul7-10, 02:56 PM
P: 922
Guy here. I have had lots of female friends. I have had girlfriends who I just couldn't be romantically involved with and we ended up being just friends. I have had friends who were female who tried to get me to be more than friends. I had no clue they felt that way about me until they said something. You can just be friends with someone of the opposite sex but it can get difficult and strange quickly.

Every person is an individual and maybe some of these male friends of yours do harbor romantic feelings, but I tend to agree with you that if they wanted it to be more they would likely have said or done something by now.
Astronuc
Jul7-10, 03:01 PM
Admin
P: 21,866
Quote Quote by Norman View Post
Guy here. I have had lots of female friends. I have had girlfriends who I just couldn't be romantically involved with and we ended up being just friends. I have had friends who were female who tried to get me to be more than friends. I had no clue they felt that way about me until they said something. You can just be friends with someone of the opposite sex but it can get difficult and strange quickly.
I've had much the same experience.
Every person is an individual and maybe some of these male friends of yours do harbor romantic feelings, but I tend to agree with you that if they wanted it to be more they would likely have said or done something by now.
I would concur.

Some guys might hold back on pushing romance for fear of rejection, or they are just passive by nature.

Edit: The boyfriend seems insecure. That's not a good sign.
jackmell
Jul7-10, 03:02 PM
P: 1,666
Quote Quote by TR1KK1 View Post

***He states that no man has any interest at all in spending time with a woman, or talking to them unless he is in pursuit of sleeping with her.
Pretty much unless he's not attracted to her or already got her previously. Most guys, once you get into the "exclusive" thing, would be jealous if you have guy friends. It's worst when you get married. Then the guy-friend becomes a real issue with your husband in general.

I need to know... I am sure that men aren't all so pathetic and shallow to think like that.
Yes, most men are shallow, think just like that, and are often much worst.

I just want to know the truth, I am so disgusted right now; how out of all the guys that actually enjoyed my company and liked me as a person, I quite possibly chose one of the most despicable, disrespectful men on the Earth to have fallen in love with. :(
Most men, many at least, personally, I'd say the vast majority, are sex-oriented in the way your boyfriend is telling you.
cronxeh
Jul7-10, 03:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
This is the problem when you grow up being a tomboy. You don't understand why he is jealous and you saying you dont want him to 'control' you is not woman talk, its something a MAN would say. You need to understand that men dominate and through dominance establish their calm in a relationship. If he feels like you are not submitting then you are not into him!

I've had female friends who I was interested in as more than just friends, and yes it was painful when they rejected me, but I was no longer friends with them. If you are friends with a female, then you are by default not interested in anything other than their opinion. Even hanging out with such female friends is godawful boring, otherwise if I enjoyed their company we would be dating.

So in summary, there is nothing wrong with your boyfriend, you are the one with a problem here, and that is growing up not knowing how to be a woman.

Oh and this is my other pet peeve about women who think that men are only interested in sleeping with them. First of all, there are those who want to boink you and be done with it after a while, and there are those who are really-really-REALLY into you and want to be your lover and bestfriend for the rest of their existence. Don't confuse the two. Your boyfriend might fall under the latter category, but so might some of your 'bestfriends'.

Try it. Make a move on one of your bestfriends and I guaran-freaking-tee you they will have sex with you with a passion. I can't believe women simply dont know this.
TR1KK1
Jul7-10, 03:34 PM
I know if I put a move on my friends they would go for it. I'm an attractive woman, if it were me, or some chick at a party asking them to "go somewhere" to get it on, of course they'd say yes. I'm not an idiot.
cronxeh
Jul7-10, 03:52 PM
PF Gold
I know if I put a move on my friends they would go for it. I'm an attractive woman, if it were me, or some chick at a party asking them to "go somewhere" to get it on, of course they'd say yes. I'm not an idiot.
A friend, and you should really read this as 'buddy', would not have sex with you. He would laugh you in the face and never call you again. All the rest will say 'hell yea' - those are the ones who are more-than-just friends. Therefore, your boyfriend has grounds for being jealous, and you are too young to call yourself a 'woman' just yet

Girls learn, women know.
Astronuc
Jul7-10, 03:54 PM
Admin
P: 21,866
In my case, I'd decline - as I did with female friends in the past.
Pengwuino
PF Gold
P: 7,120
You're in love with a despicable, disrespectful person? Contrary to what most people will tell you, you don't have to turn your brain off when your emotions start coming into play. I've never seen a girl who, in my opinion, didn't have serious issues in their relationships/lives that thought "it's love, you can't think about it!"

As far as whether or not guys are all pigs, no they are not, don't listen to anyone who thinks they all are (they're either naively cynical or can't think critically because something happened to them in the past). When you're young, it's going to look like that because guys the maturity level is still low. There are good guys out there but don't let that fool you, there are guys out there who will seriously be friends with you for years upon years just to have a chance with you in bed as long as being your friend doesn't take up much of their time. In your case, you might actually be in a good spot; I think a lot of guys truly enjoy the company of a girl minus the "girly issues". I have girl friends who would be utterly the most awesome people to be best friends with if it werent for the "oh my gawd oh my gawd oh my gawd that cute guy looked at me for over 2 seconds now im gonna talk about it for the next 3 hours" nonsense. Anyhow, back to the point.... I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but to be honest, if your boyfriend gets jealous, just remember... it's only going to get worse and no one wants to be very good friends with a girl with "that kind of boyfriend".
fictionftw
He sounds like he's jealous of your friends because he's insecure about himself.

I wouldn't be too quick to classify him as a jerk, because maybe he just needs reminding that you're with HIM, that you like HIM, that you're not with any of your friends, you chose to be with HIM. :]

If a guy I was dating had a ton of girl friends, I'd probably feel threatened/insecure myself. If they've been friends for years and years, and have all these inside jokes, and she's cute and funny - how on EARTH can I compete with that!?

Plus, guys honestly ARE that one-track minded. I live in a frat house right now (it sort of just happened...very temporary situation...) and so I can hear every conversation that these guys have. Before if I thought there was some mystery, there's definitely none now. I can assure you, guys really ARE that shallow. There's not really any hidden depth.

The guys I live with just try and get what they can, when they can. It's not too surprising that your BF revealed that he had ulterior motives when he got to know you. I don't think he's despicable, I think he's more honest about it than a lot of guys are.

Anyway, just try and bring him into a group setting more often. Then if he hangs out more with your group of friends he can see your dynamic and feel more comfortable once he sees for himself that there's nothing going on between you and your guy friends.
turbo
Jul7-10, 03:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I had a slightly older second cousin who was a big-time tom-boy. We had a ton of fun together when they visited, though in retrospect I was a bit immature and too immersed in French-Catholic culture to recognize the possibilities. She was baby-faced and lanky and when we wrestled, she pinned me like a spider.
Pengwuino
Jul7-10, 03:59 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by cronxeh View Post
A friend, and you should really read this as 'buddy', would not have sex with you. He would laugh you in the face and never call you again. All the rest will say 'hell yea' - those are the ones who are more-than-just friends. Therefore, your boyfriend has grounds for being jealous, and you are too young to call yourself a 'woman' just yet

Girls learn, women know.
Oh this is outright BS. Simple as that.
Pengwuino
Jul7-10, 04:01 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by fictionftw View Post
Plus, guys honestly ARE that one-track minded. I live in a frat house right now (it sort of just happened...very temporary situation...) and so I can hear every conversation that these guys have. Before if I thought there was some mystery, there's definitely none now. I can assure you, guys really ARE that shallow. There's not really any hidden depth.
You're comparing FRAT GUYS to actual human beings. This argument has no weight.
cronxeh
Jul7-10, 04:16 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Oh this is outright BS. Simple as that.
Well what are you upset about? She asked the advice of 'men' not swimming birds

Register to reply