Register to reply

A massive force carrying particle? The weak nuclear force, the W boson has mass?

by filegraphy
Tags: boson, carrying, force, mass, massive, nuclear, particle, weak
Share this thread:
filegraphy
Jul15-10, 04:23 PM
P: 93
I was looking at the list of the force carrying particles and all of their masses read zero other than the W boson of the weak nuclear force.

Q: Does the W boson travel at the speed of light even if it is massive? (I am guessing not)
Q: If the W boson is massive then it emits other gauge bosons in a gravitational field. How can this be? A boson emit other bosons?
Q: Does the W boson have spin or charge?

Thank you for answering.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
mathman
Jul15-10, 04:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,039
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/tables/rpp20...ggs-bosons.pdf

The above will give you the answers.
the_house
Jul16-10, 03:07 AM
P: 134
Quote Quote by filegraphy View Post
I was looking at the list of the force carrying particles and all of their masses read zero other than the W boson of the weak nuclear force.
The Z boson also has mass.

Q: Does the W boson travel at the speed of light even if it is massive? (I am guessing not)
No, a W boson will not travel at the speed of light.

Q: If the W boson is massive then it emits other gauge bosons in a gravitational field. How can this be? A boson emit other bosons?
I don't really want to talk about gravitons, but a W boson has electric charge and so it couples directly to photons (see the next question). So there's no problem with a boson emitting other bosons.

Q: Does the W boson have spin or charge?
The W is a spin 1 particle with electric charge of +1 or -1. See the pdf that mathman linked to for more details.

ansgar
Jul16-10, 06:14 AM
P: 505
A massive force carrying particle? The weak nuclear force, the W boson has mass?

Quote Quote by the_house View Post

No, a W boson will not travel at the speed of light.
why not, it is virtual and does not satisfy E^2 = P^2 + M^2
tom.stoer
Jul16-10, 07:55 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,366
The W-boson need not be a virtual particle; it is only a particle with a rather short lifetime; but in that sense even neutrons are only virtual particles.

A virtual particle does not have a velocity at all. A virtual particle is not a single particle but a "bunch of all particles possible in momentum space" with an "integral over momentum space".
filegraphy
Jul16-10, 11:31 AM
P: 93
Thank you all for the answers. That makes sense that the W and Z bosons cannot travel at the speed of light because there fore would require infinte amount of energy to get it to that speed causing it to have an infinite amount of mass.

Register to reply