Tags: ghost, photo
Share this thread:
Ivan Seeking
Aug7-10, 04:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
I was sent this photo of an alleged ghost. The story is that this is the first photo taken with a new cell phone. Is this some kind of inside joke or something? I don't suppose someone with the cell phone company is having a little fun? Could it be an error of some kind that allowed a preprogrammed photo to get mixed with a live shot?

The person swears this is real and he still has the original photo in memory. He is willing to turn the phone over for testing. My understanding is that it is possible to show that the data has not been manipulated. Is this correct?

I was sent a high-resolution bmp file. Below is the jpg. I was going to attach the bmp file but it appears to be too large. Do we see any evidence of fraud? My understanding is that this person has no specific knowledge of electronics or photo imaging techniques, so unless this is a pretty easy trick to pull, I tend to doubt this was faked by him. More likely someone has pulled a trick on him, I would think.

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wearable 4MM jetpack tested on speed, agility for runners (w/ Video)
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
Corn spots: Study finds important genes in defense response
Evo
Aug7-10, 04:53 PM
Mentor
P: 26,643
Remember the news a couple of years ago of the brand new iphone that had a picture of a chinese factory worker on it?

This looks like a reflection of a person standing in a doorway, or standing in front of a window. Notice the rectangle they're standing in? Would a "ghost" come along with a fixture behind them?

I get some very bizarre shots from my digital camera, the demonic rabbit, the mysterious "fog", snowflakes in my living room, ghostly apparitions (which turned out to be my reflection in a window) which made it look like someone was floating on my patio.
Ivan Seeking
Aug7-10, 05:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I am highly confident that there is no one around who looks like that - I know the source of this one through a family member. So it would have to be something already in the camera, or a photo superimposed on a real image, or simple trick photography.

Evo
Aug7-10, 05:08 PM
Mentor
Ghost Photo

Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I am highly confident that there is no one around who looks like that - I know the source of this one through a family member. So it would have to be something already in the camera, or a photo superimposed on a real image, or simple trick photography.
Considering that the image is of an Asian and I'll bet my fruit bat that the phone was made in an asian country, the image was already in the camera.
Ivan Seeking
Aug7-10, 05:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Considering that the image is of an Asian and I'll bet my fruit bat that the phone was made in an asian country, the image was already in the camera.
Yes, my first impression was Native American, but after a closer look, she looks more Chinese than anything.

What seems to be a door frame in the lower part of the photo, seems to follow her outline as you approach her head, so I wasn't sure what to think about that.
Evo
Aug7-10, 05:14 PM
Mentor
Don't ask me how it happened though. Of course, the camera coming from China, it's a chinese ghost.

Why would a ghost be standing in a rectangle? And why is part of the face blocking out the wheel, and part is not?
Ivan Seeking
Aug7-10, 05:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Don't ask me how it happened though. Of course, the camera coming from China, it's a chinese ghost.

Why would a ghost be standing in a rectangle? And why is part of the face blocking out the wheel, and part is not?
I don't think it is actually a rectangle... it just looks that way in the lower part of the photo.

Usually there is a dead giveaway in photos like this. I didn't see anything familiar here.
DavidSnider
Aug7-10, 05:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 470
Is this the full image? Could it just have been a double exposure from what was on the TV screen?
Ivan Seeking
Aug7-10, 05:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
You are seeing the entire image. It was resized for the forum. The bitmap is 1600 x 1200.
Ivan Seeking
Aug7-10, 05:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Here, I can link the bitmap instead of uploading.
http://yfrog.com/myghostwp
Ivan Seeking
Aug7-10, 05:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I called to ask what was on the television. Allegedly the child seen in the photo was watching a cartoon - Sprout.

Someone had already thought to ask about that.
Ivan Seeking
Aug7-10, 06:01 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
It was taken with Verizon Incredible
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-34064029.html

Funny, the guy who took the photo wasn't the one who discovered the image. It was hard to see on the phone, but someone else noticed it and zoomed in. The rest of the photos taken - about 100 so far - have been normal as far as anyone knows.
Evo
Aug7-10, 06:20 PM
Mentor
If you want to see weird, I was video conferencing with Kurdt when all of a sudden black wisps started circling around his head. This continued for a couple of minutes then stopped.

I snapped a still photo of the wisps.

Sorry, this might detract from your thread, i was just showing that digital cameras capture some weird stuff. You can delete it if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
kurdt shadows appeared.jpg  
Lacy33
Aug7-10, 08:06 PM
P: 335
did anyone look real close at the face on the "ghost" image? It does not look happy to me. It looks ...... anyone else with thoughts on that?
Evo
Aug7-10, 08:24 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Lacy33 View Post
did anyone look real close at the face on the "ghost" image? It does not look happy to me. It looks ...... anyone else with thoughts on that?
It looks faked, see how the wheel frames the face? The "face" blots out the wheel then suddenly is transparent again. Amazing how the facial features conveniently blot out the wheel, but no other part of her picture does.
alt
Aug7-10, 09:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 322
Quote Quote by Lacy33 View Post
Yes, it looks strange and disconcerting - the eyes more than anything.
Evo
Aug7-10, 09:55 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by alt View Post
Yes, it looks strange and disconcerting - the eyes more than anything.
She has bags under her eyes, she looks tired.

Ivan, ask your friend to e-mail the actual photo to you directly from their phone, then post it here. It's called picture mail, their phone can do it. That way we can see what is on the phone and not an uploaded picture.
alt
Aug7-10, 10:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 322
You could also say it looks as though she (?) is emerging from the wheel - coming foward through it, and that the part of her face visible has emerged while the rest hasn't. That is of course, if you believed in ghosts.

I find the wheel / face interphase, one of the most interesting things.

Register to reply