Register to reply

At what stage water enter the bloodstream

by jackson6612
Tags: bloodstream, stage, water
Share this thread:
jackson6612
Aug18-10, 10:00 PM
P: 348
I'm not a science student. Therefore, please keep your reply simple and straightforward. Thank you.

As I know food nutrients are absorbed into bloodstream either in the stomach or small intestine. At what place does water get absorbed? In large intestine? Assuming my guess is right, how would it enter the large intestine region when taken in with other food? Because water gets in the bloodstream at a far faster rate than food, therefore if, let's say, some constriction gives it way to pass into large intestine, then some of the food/food nutrients will also pass with it.

Please help me with it and correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
Designer potatoes on the menu to boost consumption
Giant anteaters kill two hunters in Brazil
bobze
Aug19-10, 08:07 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 645
Quote Quote by jackson6612 View Post
I'm not a science student. Therefore, please keep your reply simple and straightforward. Thank you.

As I know food nutrients are absorbed into bloodstream either in the stomach or small intestine. At what place does water get absorbed? In large intestine? Assuming my guess is right, how would it enter the large intestine region when taken in with other food? Because water gets in the bloodstream at a far faster rate than food, therefore if, let's say, some constriction gives it way to pass into large intestine, then some of the food/food nutrients will also pass with it.

Please help me with it and correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Most water during digestion is absorbed in the large intestine. It enters in the forum of bolus, which is chewed/mashed/degraded/squishy food (depending on the amount of solid food eaten, it can have a higher or lower liquid content).

Water seems to "absorb" faster than food for a few reasons. Firstly water is small and cells throughout the gastrointestinal tract have aquaporins, a special type of protein channel that allows the passage of water only, which helps absorption throughout digestion.

Food particles, start off as particles then must be broken down from the macromolecules into more manageable sizes and then must be actively absorbed by GI cells.

Your kidneys also play an important role in water reabsorption in the nephrons.

More liquid bolus can travel through the GI faster than food, which progressed in a timely manner to allow digestion to occur.
jackson6612
Aug20-10, 10:15 PM
P: 348
Thanks, Bobze.

Register to reply