1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
What will be the limit of
a) [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{2+3^{n+1}}{(n+1)(2+3^{n})}[/tex]
b) [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} (x+1)ln(x+1) - x ln(x) - 1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
-

3. The attempt at a solution
It is actually coming from infinite series question,
which I goes into the limit step and stuck.
[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{2+3^{n+1}}{(n+1)(2+3^{n})}[/tex] look like equal to 0,
[tex]ln\left[\frac{(x+1)^{x+1}}{x^{x}}\right][/tex] look like equal to [tex]\infty[/tex],
but I don't know how to work on them,
which pretty much stuck on this stage.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Office_Shredder
Sep2-10, 02:36 PM
Mentor
P: 4,499
For the first one, try dividing the numerator and denominator by [tex]3^n[/tex], and see if you can get an idea for what the numerator and denominator look like when n is large
cpyap
Sep2-10, 02:43 PM
P: 13
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
For the first one, try dividing the numerator and denominator by [tex]3^n[/tex], and see if you can get an idea for what the numerator and denominator look like when n is large
[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\frac{2}{3^{n}}+3}{\frac{2n+2}{3^{n}}+n+1 } = \frac{3}{\infty+1} = 0
[/tex]
I believe I'm getting tired,
missed a whole point here.
Thanks a lot for help.

cpyap
Sep2-10, 03:15 PM

2 limit questions

How about b)?
cpyap
Sep2-10, 04:11 PM
Question edited. Just try to make the question b) clearer.
Thanks!
Bohrok
Sep2-10, 09:49 PM
P: 867
You can rewrite b) to make taking the limit easier:

[tex]\frac{(x+1)^{x+1}}{x^{x}} = \frac{(x + 1)^x(x+1)}{x^x} = \left(\frac{x+1}{x}\right)^x(x + 1) = \left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x(x + 1)[/tex]

Then taking the limit of the expression:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln\left[\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x(x + 1)\right] - 1 = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x + \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln(x + 1) - 1 = \ln\left(\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x\right) - 1 + \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln(x + 1)[/tex]
Dick
Sep2-10, 10:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,168
Quote Quote by Bohrok View Post
You can rewrite b) to make taking the limit easier:

[tex]\frac{(x+1)^{x+1}}{x^{x}} = \frac{(x + 1)^x(x+1)}{x^x} = \left(\frac{x+1}{x}\right)^x(x + 1) = \left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x(x + 1)[/tex]

Then taking the limit of the expression:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln\left[\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x(x + 1)\right] - 1 = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x + \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln(x + 1) - 1 = \ln\left(\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x\right) - 1 + \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln(x + 1)[/tex]
You don't even have to work that hard. Since x->infinity you can take x>1. So (x+1)/x>=1 and (x+1)^x/x^x>=1. The leftover (x+1) goes to infinity. It's basically a comparison test.
Bohrok
Sep3-10, 12:01 AM
P: 867
You're very right, I know it's more than one might do for this problem. But since there was a -1 in the expression, and I saw it as ln(limx→∞(1 + 1/x)x), that limit gets rid of the -1 and leaves you with just a nice limx→∞ ln(x + 1).

Register to reply