by DeadWolfe
Tags: depressing, movie
Share this thread:
Danger
Sep17-10, 08:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Most depressing for me was Charlie. It's based on the story "Flowers for Algernon" and it is heart-rending.
That is my second favourite movie (after "Birds of Prey"), and my favourite short story/novel (it was expanded).
I read only the first page of this thread, and even at that point there were a lot of films mentioned that I've never heard of. I'll try to catch up later.
The most depressing to me, going only by ones that I've watched, was "Blade Runner". As an Atheist with no belief in an afterlife, Roy Batty's desperation to remain alive tore me apart. I couldn't watch it again, or even think about it, for 20 years. Now that I've come to terms with the fact that I have less than a year to go, I would watch it again for the production values (and to see Joanna Cassidy naked). It was a brilliant movie, based upon a brilliant novel ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"), but it really hurt.
DaveC426913
Sep17-10, 10:47 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
The most depressing to me, going only by ones that I've watched, was "Blade Runner". As an Atheist with no belief in an afterlife, Roy Batty's desperation to remain alive tore me apart.
Worlds. Best. Quote.
FrancisZ
Sep18-10, 03:02 PM
P: 43
Empire of the Sun somebody mentioned yesterday. Very, very sad movie. No wonder that kid grew up to be The Dark Knight.

Bicentennial Man, I've liked a lot; but it's another depressing flick. A lot of Robin Williams' movies are like that.

I would have to say though, that my favorite sad ending movie of all time is Ragtime. I just feel a strong connection to that movie. It's a visual aid of sorts to a lot of stories my grandparents retold of my great-grandparents generation. I knew my great-grandmother (she lived to be in her 90's, and died when I was 6) and she was a teenager around 1910.
ThomasEdison
Sep18-10, 07:29 PM
P: 107
Some decent bleak movies which come to mind :

Tideland
Martin
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Bugs (this movie disturbed me for weeks)
Brazil (if you count the original intended ending)
Visitor Q

I liked all of them.
Danger
Sep18-10, 07:59 PM
PF Gold
I think that it comes down to the fact that once in a rare while an artist, singer, filmmaker, or such produces something that resonates with something in the observer's mind and triggers a serious emotional response. If, as a "for instance", when you were 5 years old you witnessed your baby sister drowning in a river, anything related to water could set off such feelings in your adult life.
This thread, I believe, is very closely related to the one about "musical chills". Beauty (or fear, or discomfort, or love) is in the eye (or some other sense) of the beholder.
mugaliens
Sep18-10, 08:19 PM
P: 595
9/11, a film by Jules & Gideon Naudet and James Hanlon. I couldn't even buy it for five years. When I did, I watched it that night. Haven't been able to watch it since.
Math Is Hard
Sep18-10, 08:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
Hotel Rwanda made me deeply sad. Great film, though.
Danger
Sep18-10, 08:43 PM
PF Gold
"The Exorcist" made me very sad, but only due my shocked disbelief that anyone would pay money to watch it. That film was pretty much the turn-around point of society's spiral into stupidity.
FrancisZ
Sep18-10, 08:53 PM
P: 43
"The Exorcist" made me very sad, but only due my shocked disbelief that anyone would pay money to watch it. That film was pretty much the turn-around point of society's spiral into stupidity.
That was an evocative piece of music at least...

Alright, well here's the real one (pity someone who misspelled it)...

Proton Soup
Sep18-10, 09:29 PM
P: 1,070
Savior, with Dennis Quaid. the sledgehammer scene tears me up.
airborne18
Sep18-10, 11:14 PM
P: 144
"I am Legend"... he shot his own dog. a scene like that in a movie is just not right. I had to make my dog a steak dinner after watching that, and we played fetch for a while.
Ivan Seeking
Sep19-10, 12:56 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
As opposed to what, Night of the Living Dead, or all of the crap people bought into in the sixties?
Ivan Seeking
Sep19-10, 01:06 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Star Trek Generations

The death of Kirk... I still can't talk about it.
Danger
Sep19-10, 01:14 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
As opposed to what, Night of the Living Dead, or all of the crap people bought into in the sixties?
Different critters entirely. "The Exorcist", like "The Amityville Horror" later on, was total ******** advertised as a true story. Neither one ever happened, and yet to this day nobody involved in the productions admits that they were pure fiction.
George Romero's stuff, along with blobs, werewolves, etc. were marketed as escapism, and served that role quite well.

edit: And once again the forum software replaced "bovine excrement" with asterisks. That is becoming annoying.
fourier jr
Sep19-10, 09:31 AM
P: 948
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Worlds. Best. Quote.
"Too bad she won't live, but then again who does?"

I thought Once Upon a Time in America, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull & Vanishing Point were all pretty depressing. Maybe not soul-crushing or anything but still depressing.
airborne18
Sep19-10, 09:38 AM
P: 144
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Star Trek Generations

The death of Kirk... I still can't talk about it.
Too funny. This is why I love this site. Bravo.
Elliprof2
Sep19-10, 10:45 AM
P: n/a
One of them has got to be "Brian's Song" another "Romeo and Juliette" - I much prefer happy, adventurous, or sci fi though.
fourier jr
Sep19-10, 04:50 PM
P: 948
oh yeah, the bad lieutenant with harvey keitel is another good (or bad) one

Register to reply