Register to reply

Sheehan's syndrome. Why there is no deficiency in posterior pituitary hormones?

Share this thread:
sameeralord
Sep25-10, 10:39 PM
P: 640
Hello everyone,

Why is that in sheehan's syndrome there is no deficiency of posterior pituitary hormones. Ok they are synthesized in hypothalamus, but they are stored in posterior pituitary. So if the gland is damaged how are they secreted? Also there seems to be a trasient polyurea associatd with this condition, this means ADH must be deficient? Also I don't understand why TRH increases in this conditin. Help would be appreciated. Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
A greater focus on socially disadvantaged women is needed to improve maternity care in England
Phthalates heighten risk for childhood asthma
New study examines the impact of socioeconomic position and maternal morbidity in Australia
cosmos 2.0
Sep25-10, 11:36 PM
P: 43
Quote Quote by sameeralord View Post
Hello everyone,

Why is that in sheehan's syndrome there is no deficiency of posterior pituitary hormones. Ok they are synthesized in hypothalamus, but they are stored in posterior pituitary. So if the gland is damaged how are they secreted? :
Sheehan's syndrome results in the loss of all hormones including the posterior pituitary (even if DAMAGED it is usually transient or subnormal). This is because the development of posterior pituitary is slightly different, which gives it a separate blood supply and suffers less hypoxic damage during an acute episode .

Also there seems to be a transient poly urea associated with this condition, this means ADH must be deficient?
usually the damage is transient because of the initial insult, but recovers.

Hypertrophy and hyperplasia of lactotrophs during pregnancy results in the enlargement of the anterior pituitary, without a corresponding increase in blood supply.

Secondly, the anterior pituitary is supplied by a low pressure portal venous system.[3]

These vulnerabilities, when affected by major hemorrhage or hypotension during the peripartum period, can result in ischaemia of the affected pituitary regions leading to necrosis.

The posterior pituitary is usually not affected due to its direct arterial supply.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheehan%27s_syndrome
mugaliens
Sep26-10, 02:32 AM
P: 595
Were you ever in hypovolmia, that is, a state of decreased blood volume, primarily plasma?

sameeralord
Sep26-10, 02:49 AM
P: 640
Sheehan's syndrome. Why there is no deficiency in posterior pituitary hormones?

Quote Quote by mugaliens View Post
Were you ever in hypovolmia, that is, a state of decreased blood volume, primarily plasma?
Haven't had such an incident yet.

@Cosmos: Thanks for the answer I somehow missed it when I read wiki. Do you or anyone know if this syndrome causes bitemporal hemianopia?
cosmos 2.0
Sep26-10, 03:56 AM
P: 43
Quote Quote by sameeralord View Post
Haven't had such an incident yet.

@Cosmos: Thanks for the answer I somehow missed it when I read wiki. Do you or anyone know if this syndrome causes bitemporal hemianopia?
are you researching on this subject or a med student ?

Register to reply