(algebra) Proving subspaces- functions

by natalie:)
Tags: algebra help, help asap, spans, subspaces
Share this thread:
natalie:)
Oct11-10, 06:21 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is U={f E F([tex]\left|a,b\right|[/tex]) f(a)=f(b)} a subspace of F([tex]\left| a,b \right|[/tex]) where F([tex]\left| a,b \right|[/tex]) is the vector space of real valued functions defined on the interval [a,b]?

2. Relevant equations

I know in order for something to be a subspace there are three conditions:
- existence of the zero vector [tex]\Theta[/tex]
- closed under addition
- closed under scalar multiplication

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to determine some boundaries for the function (not 1 to 1, all values will be positive, a and b can be any real number). I'm not really sure how to approach it ... i thought maybe if f(a)=0 then f(b) will also =0. But i don't really know how to prove that or the other two conditions.

I would really appreciate someone explaining the steps of how to solve this. Thanks!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Mark44
Oct11-10, 06:38 PM
Mentor
P: 21,312
Quote Quote by natalie:) View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is U={f E F([tex]\left|a,b\right|[/tex]) f(a)=f(b)} a subspace of F([tex]\left| a,b \right|[/tex]) where F([tex]\left| a,b \right|[/tex]) is the vector space of real valued functions defined on the interval [a,b]?

2. Relevant equations

I know in order for something to be a subspace there are three conditions:
- existence of the zero vector [tex]\Theta[/tex]
- closed under addition
- closed under scalar multiplication

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to determine some boundaries for the function (not 1 to 1, all values will be positive, a and b can be any real number). I'm not really sure how to approach it ... i thought maybe if f(a)=0 then f(b) will also =0.
Don't put any restrictions such as these on your functions.
But i don't really know how to prove that or the other two conditions.

I would really appreciate someone explaining the steps of how to solve this. Thanks!!
Clearly U contains the zero function.

Now, let f and g be any arbitrary functions in U, and c any scalar. What can you say about (f + g)(a) and (f + g)(b)?

What can you say about cf(a) and cf(b)?
Oct11-10, 06:50 PM
Oh I understand we can just name two functions since U represents the set of functions...
well (f+g)(a) would = (f+g)(b) and would be equivalent to f(a)+g(a)=f(b)+g(b)? i'm not really sure if i'm right about that.

then c*f(a)=c*f(b)..

I understand the point of whats happening but not the logic behind whats actually happening, if that makes any sense...

Mark44
Oct11-10, 06:59 PM
Mentor
(algebra) Proving subspaces- functions

Oh I understand we can just name two functions since U represents the set of functions...
well (f+g)(a) would = (f+g)(b) and would be equivalent to f(a)+g(a)=f(b)+g(b)? i'm not really sure if i'm right about that.
(f+g)(a) = f(a) + g(a) = f(b) + g(b) = (f + g)(b)
Can you give reasons for each of the = signs above?
What can you conclude about the function f + g?

then c*f(a)=c*f(b)..
Or better, (cf)(a) = c*f(a) = c*f(b) = (cf)(b)
Can you give reasons for each = above? What can you conclude about the function cf?
I understand the point of whats happening but not the logic behind whats actually happening, if that makes any sense...
Oct11-10, 07:12 PM
Ok well...
(f+g)(a)=f(a)+g(a) i have no idea i want to say distributive property?
f(a)+g(a)= f(b)+g(b) because of the limitations in the question right? if they both have to come to the same solution.. f(a)=f(b) then g(a)=g(b). For some reason all i can think about is extreme value theorem which has nothing to do with this.

The function f+g is... no idea.

For scalar multiplication it makes sense that if you multiply any scalar by the function its the same as multiplying it inside the function c*f(a)=(cf)(a), and again i'm not really sure but think it has something to do with the f(a)=f(b)...

Does the absolute value change anything in solving or does it just imply the functions x-values stay above the axis?

Thank you for your patience!
Mark44
Oct11-10, 07:30 PM
Mentor
Ok well...
(f+g)(a)=f(a)+g(a) i have no idea i want to say distributive property?
No, this is the sum of two functions is defined. The distributive property shows how multiplication distributes over a sum of numbers. There is no multiplication in (f + g)(a).
f(a)+g(a)= f(b)+g(b) because of the limitations in the question right?
Sort of. We're assuming that f and g are in U, so f(a) = f(b) and g(a) = g(b). Adding g(a) to f(a) is the same as adding g(b) to f(b).
if they both have to come to the same solution.. f(a)=f(b) then g(a)=g(b).
No, one doesn't follow from the other. They both follow from our assumption that f and g are in U.
For some reason all i can think about is extreme value theorem which has nothing to do with this.

The function f+g is... no idea.
What you should conclude is that when f and g are in U, then their sum, f + g, will also be in U. Another way to say this is that U is closed under addition.

For scalar multiplication it makes sense that if you multiply any scalar by the function its the same as multiplying it inside the function c*f(a)=(cf)(a), and again i'm not really sure but think it has something to do with the f(a)=f(b)...
There is nothing going on "inside the function." c*f(a) = (cf)(a) by the definition of scalar multiples of a function.

Given two functions f and g, you can create four new functions: f + g, f - g, f*g, and f/g. Besides these four using arithmetic operations, there is also the composition f o g, where (f o g)(x) = f(g(x)). And there's the other order, g o f.

Does the absolute value change anything in solving or does it just imply the functions x-values stay above the axis?
What absolute value?
Oct11-10, 07:40 PM
Wow I was really not understanding but now really am!!
Oh and i was confused at the notation i thought the square brackets were abs value bars but they're brackets

Thank you so much for your help!
Mark44
Oct11-10, 07:45 PM
Mentor
Wow I was really not understanding but now really am!!
Cool!
Oh and i was confused at the notation i thought the square brackets were abs value bars but they're brackets

Thank you so much for your help!
You're welcome. I enjoy doing it.

Register to reply