Register to reply

B field lines of an infinte solenoid?

by cragar
Tags: field, infinte, lines, solenoid
Share this thread:
cragar
Nov21-10, 06:10 PM
P: 2,466
When I have an infinite solenoid , The b field lines point straight up the solenoid and the field is zero outside. But i thought that the field lines have to wrap back around on themselves.
Does this not apply in this example . Or am i crazy?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Researchers find first direct evidence of 'spin symmetry' in atoms
X-ray laser probes tiny quantum tornadoes in superfluid droplets
yungman
Nov21-10, 11:24 PM
P: 3,898
Good one. It has to rap around. I think when people talk about infinite solenoid, they just mean long enough that the field inside is parallel to the axis of the solenoid, nothing more. There is a more fundamental rule about magnetism that there is no source and sink, all field rap around no matter what. They got to come back.

When they talk about a closed contour surrounding a few turns of the coil, they assume the side perpendicular to the axis of the coil must be small. And they assume ideal situation. If you extend the loop far out enough, you are going to catch some of the return magnetic field.
jtbell
Nov21-10, 11:48 PM
Mentor
P: 11,748
Quote Quote by cragar View Post
When I have an infinite solenoid , The b field lines point straight up the solenoid and the field is zero outside. But i thought that the field lines have to wrap back around on themselves.
In this case, you can loosely think of them as "wrapping back" at infinity. If you start with a finite solenoid, and make it longer and longer, the "return field" running in the opposite direction outside the solenoid becomes weaker and weaker, and the field lines spread out transversely towards infinity.

cragar
Nov22-10, 05:42 AM
P: 2,466
B field lines of an infinte solenoid?

thanks for your answers

Register to reply