Eye Lens Structure: Circular & Radial Fibres

In summary, the structure of the lens of the eye includes two types of fibres, Circular Fibres and Radial Fibres. These fibres aid in shaping and changing the shape of the lens, allowing it to contract and change its position in order to focus. They also provide the correct elasticity to the lens, as explained in the discussion about the Ciliary muscle on Wikipedia.
Ali Inam
I just studied the structure of the lens of the eye. And I found out that there are two type of fibres present, which were the Circular Fibres and the Radial Fibres.

Can anyone please tell me what is the purpose or function of these two fibres ? Or simply they are just fibres which are covering up the eye lens ? !

Thanks ! *

Biology news on Phys.org
Our lens is flexible and is able to focus. I can imagine that the 2 types of fiber aid in shaping and changing the shape of the lens.

You mean that if the lens contracts or change its position in order to focus, then these fibres help ?

Yes, they probably give the correct elasticity to the lens.

1. What is the purpose of the eye lens structure?

The eye lens structure is responsible for focusing light and enabling clear vision. It works in conjunction with the cornea to bend and refract light as it enters the eye, allowing us to see objects clearly at different distances.

2. What are circular and radial fibres in the eye lens?

Circular and radial fibres are specialized cells that make up the structure of the eye lens. They are arranged in a circular pattern around the central nucleus of the lens and are responsible for changing the shape of the lens to adjust the focus of light entering the eye.

3. How do circular and radial fibres work together?

Circular fibres contract and expand to change the curvature of the lens, while radial fibres hold the lens in place and help to maintain its shape. Together, these fibres allow the lens to adjust its focus and provide clear vision at different distances.

4. What happens to the eye lens as we age?

As we age, the eye lens becomes less flexible and loses its ability to change shape. This is known as presbyopia and is a natural part of the aging process. It typically begins to occur in our 40s and can result in difficulty seeing objects up close.

5. Can the eye lens structure be damaged or affected by disease?

Yes, the eye lens structure can be damaged or affected by various diseases or conditions. Cataracts, for example, occur when the proteins in the lens clump together and cloud the vision. Other diseases, such as glaucoma or age-related macular degeneration, can also affect the function of the eye lens.