Structure of Eye Lens

by Ali Inam
Tags: lens, structure
Ali Inam
Nov25-10, 08:40 AM
P: 99
I just studied the structure of the lens of the eye. And I found out that there are two type of fibres present, which were the Circular Fibres and the Radial Fibres.

Can anyone please tell me what is the purpose or function of these two fibres ? Or simply they are just fibres which are covering up the eye lens ? !

Thanks ! *
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Treating depression in Parkinson's patients
More than a quarter of emergency contraceptives in Peru falsified or substandard
Oil-swishing craze: Snake oil or all-purpose remedy?
Integral
Nov25-10, 12:49 PM
Mentor
P: 7,291
Our lens is flexible and is able to focus. I can imagine that the 2 types of fiber aid in shaping and changing the shape of the lens.
Ali Inam
Nov25-10, 08:20 PM
P: 99
You mean that if the lens contracts or change its position in order to focus, then these fibres help ?

Borek
Nov26-10, 02:14 AM
Admin
P: 22,671

Structure of Eye Lens

Yes, they probably give the correct elasticity to the lens.
Dr Lots-o'watts
Nov28-10, 04:57 PM
P: 675
Indeed they do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciliary_muscle

Register to reply