Register to reply

Is Lisa Randall the hottest physicist alive?

by SELFMADE
Tags: alive, hottest, lisa, physicist, randall
Share this thread:
lisab
Dec30-10, 09:06 AM
Mentor
P: 3,005
Quote Quote by mugaliens View Post
In her picture, she seems perturbed about something. Perhaps she overheard you discussing her looks instead of something she herself has accomplished.
+1

nismaratwork
Dec30-10, 10:17 AM
P: 2,284
So she's brilliant, AND gorgeous... neither should detract from the other. I don't see a lot of hunky guys in Physics either... it's a minority all over. What are the odds of being a top scientist AND having the genetics to be beautiful, not just pretty? Talk about a cosmic home run between looks, circumstances, education, and natural intelligence.
DevilsAvocado
Dec30-10, 10:47 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,662
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
I don't see a lot of hunky guys in Physics either...
Oh come on! I count no less than 22 very sexy mustaches in this historical picture (+Marie Curie):

The question is: Why has "this picture" not changed that much in a hundred years...
jobyts
Dec30-10, 01:57 PM
P: 216
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
You want to talk about hot? Check out her bio page at Harvard -- wow!

http://www.physics.harvard.edu/peopl...s/randall.html

I think I might have seen her in the Charlie Rose interview linked to on her bio page. Very impressive to listen to!
I watched the video. For some reason, whenever she says string theory, I hear it as g-string.
nismaratwork
Dec30-10, 03:40 PM
Quote Quote by DevilsAvocado View Post
Oh come on! I count no less than 22 very sexy mustaches in this historical picture (+Marie Curie):

The question is: Why has "this picture" not changed that much in a hundred years...

Oh good one.

As for why the picture hasn't changed... well, it's taken time to place generations of women into a particular role, and it's going to take time and effort to undo that damage of millenia. It takes time to disseminate information, and in a way we're working with an initial pool which not only fails to include most women, but excludes them in a variety of ways. We need a few more generation of women becoming teachers of high-end STEM subjects before that picture really starts to change much.
nismaratwork
Dec30-10, 03:44 PM
Quote Quote by jobyts View Post
I watched the video. For some reason, whenever she says string theory, I hear it as g-string.
We're guys jobyts... that means every thought we have takes the following path:

Sensory Input->Brain Stem->Brain->Dick->Brain->Balls->Brain.

It's a circuit that places undue emphasis on what our dangling bits have to 'think' of matters, and polls them even when you're looking at say... food, or a flower, or the sky, or nothing.

Ah being a guy, it's a joy and a bit of a burden. *braces for contradiction by PF sisterhood*
DevilsAvocado
Dec30-10, 05:16 PM
PF Gold
As for why the picture hasn't changed... well, it's taken time to place generations of women into a particular role, and it's going to take time and effort to undo that damage of millenia.
Yeah, I guess youíre right. It just that it has taken so long... and not that much has change... If you look at this picture of Amy Mainzer and the four "WISE guys"*, she is the only woman ALONE, exactly as Marie Curie!

Something must clearly be wrong, and I think we all lose in the long run. My experience is that 50/50 mixed workplaces works best...

Iím a man, thereís no use in pretending; I drop-dead too when I see a very beautiful and extremely intelligent woman. Thereís not much one can do about it.

But what if our "behavior" as men, has something to do with "the first problem"...?

* Nothing bad about these scientists, they are all great.
DevilsAvocado
Dec30-10, 05:26 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I think I've found a new avatar!
Oh no! Donít do it! Ití not an avatar Ė itís a hot dog!!

(Goes to Lame Jokes?? )
nismaratwork
Dec30-10, 06:41 PM
Is it just me, or does the fellow on the far left have a haircut that is uncomfortably, "Hitler-esque"? Maybe it's just the angle. Anyway, we're lucky to have the women we do have, but yeah, it's hard to imagine that we're not losing out on a huge portion of our population.
DevilsAvocado
Dec30-10, 06:52 PM
PF Gold
Kurdt
Dec30-10, 07:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
I thought i was the hottest physicist alive. :huff:
rhody
Dec30-10, 07:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
We're guys jobyts... that means every thought we have takes the following path:

Sensory Input->Brain Stem->Brain->Dick->Brain->Balls->Brain.

It's a circuit that places undue emphasis on what our dangling bits have to 'think' of matters, and polls them even when you're looking at say... food, or a flower, or the sky, or nothing.

Ah being a guy, it's a joy and a bit of a burden. *braces for contradiction by PF sisterhood*
Nismara,

You need a cold shower... and/or this... the bike that is... see thumbnail...

Rhody...

P.S.

I predict a few more posts, and... this thread is a goner for sure...
Ivan Seeking
Dec30-10, 07:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
The problem is that men are service oriented. We are very giving souls. We like to share.
Evo
Dec30-10, 07:43 PM
Mentor
P: 26,655
Men are playthings, if they also have brains, it's icing on the cake.
Ivan Seeking
Dec30-10, 07:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
A very beautiful woman once walked up and hit on me because, according to her, I was reading a physics book. That has to be one for the record books!

I would prefer to think she just wanted me for my body...

This was BT, of course. [before Tsu]
Lacy33
Dec30-10, 07:51 PM
P: 335
If they don't have brains, how can you play with them.

And yes Kurdt you are the hottest physicist alive.
Evo
Dec30-10, 07:59 PM
Mentor
P: 26,655
Quote Quote by Lacy33 View Post
And yes Kurdt you are the hottest physicist alive.
He is.

Ivan is the hottest married physicist.
Ivan Seeking
Dec30-10, 08:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
blah blah blah

Too late now Evo.

Register to reply