Register to reply

Is Lisa Randall the hottest physicist alive?

by SELFMADE
Tags: alive, hottest, lisa, physicist, randall
Share this thread:
turbo
Dec30-10, 08:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
A very beautiful woman once walked up and hit on me because, according to her, I was reading a physics book. That has to be one for the record books!
When I met my soul-mate in college, I had already established myself as a bona-fide nerd, carrying a slide-rule on my belt, lugging engineering texts and notebooks to the cafeteria. She was a very leggy blonde art-history student who was "too" cute to approach until I finally gave it a shot and got a warm reception. It probably helped that her father was a Harvard professor. Cambridge is chock-full of geeks, unlike Maine. Lucky hit!!
nismaratwork
Dec30-10, 08:43 PM
P: 2,284
The greatest wisdom about men, and I am a man who will attest that at our core this is true, was simply: "Men are life support systems for penises." Not an elegant thing to say, but often true in the animal kingdom. We can have a child and never know about it, but a women always knows for fairly obvious reasons.

So, you have guys... like dogs... straightforward, but we occasionally piddle on the rug. Women are more complex, but the downside is that you're all nuts!!! Kidding... of course... heh... heh... *clears throat*.

Evo basically nailed it from the female perspective.

turbo-1: It seems that many pretty women are too cute too approach... and so the ones that approach are those unaware of that social norm, or convinced they're 'worth it'. Maybe that's why women end with jerks at first... they're more forward. Good for you.
nismaratwork
Dec30-10, 08:44 PM
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Nismara,

You need a cold shower... and/or this... the bike that is... see thumbnail...

Rhody...

P.S.

I predict a few more posts, and... this thread is a goner for sure...
Heh... I note that you're not saying I'm wrong...
turbo
Dec30-10, 09:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
turbo-1: It seems that many pretty women are too cute too approach... and so the ones that approach are those unaware of that social norm, or convinced they're 'worth it'. Maybe that's why women end with jerks at first... they're more forward. Good for you.
When I asked if I could sit at her table for lunch, she pulled out the chair next to her and said "I've been saving this seat for you." I was gobsmacked. I was a geek with a fixation on performing blues and rock, and she was a goddess in my opinion, and that of many of my floor-mates that were fixated on her. We were a perfect match. I took her on a "date" that involved us taking apples from the food hall, and walking to the narrow mid-point gap between the cow-pasture and the sheep-pen (no place to hide or run!) and getting the attention of the cows. The cows charged us in a stampede trying to get the apples, and they only screeched to a halt inches from the fence. She was terrified, but after we fed the cows and walked out of the the gap between the fences, she told me that it was the most exciting moment of her life.

You can be a geek and still be edgy and nice and mysterious in some ways. I would have loved to have been challenged by Lisa Randall, or the lovely Fotini.
NobodySpecial
Dec30-10, 10:11 PM
P: 474
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
I was a geek with a fixation on performing blues and rock, and she was a goddess in my opinion
Leading to the rarest statement in music = "Who is that stunning women? She's the drummer's girlfriend"
nismaratwork
Dec31-10, 06:29 AM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
When I asked if I could sit at her table for lunch, she pulled out the chair next to her and said "I've been saving this seat for you." I was gobsmacked. I was a geek with a fixation on performing blues and rock, and she was a goddess in my opinion, and that of many of my floor-mates that were fixated on her. We were a perfect match. I took her on a "date" that involved us taking apples from the food hall, and walking to the narrow mid-point gap between the cow-pasture and the sheep-pen (no place to hide or run!) and getting the attention of the cows. The cows charged us in a stampede trying to get the apples, and they only screeched to a halt inches from the fence. She was terrified, but after we fed the cows and walked out of the the gap between the fences, she told me that it was the most exciting moment of her life.

You can be a geek and still be edgy and nice and mysterious in some ways. I would have loved to have been challenged by Lisa Randall, or the lovely Fotini.
Call me sentimental, but that's an incredibly sweet story, with a fun end. I agree that being a geek or a nerd or spaz... etc... has more to do with how we see ourselves, and then how we let or induce others to treat us. Act differently with confidence, and others often respond. The problem is that these days, confidence has been confused with arrogance... pity.

Totally off-topic, I was in Ireland a few years ago, and staying in a little house next to a farm. The old fellow had a bull in the pasture, which was surrounded by the usual short stone 'fence', and a SINGLE strand of electric fencing. I don't think I need to tell you, but a bull, a cow, a horse... they avoid that out of habit, not unbearable pain. Well, this bull HATED ME, and would kick like a damned cartoon bull, roll its eyes... you know, angry bull-stuff. I remember walking inside behind the GLASS sliding door, and thinking that if that bull were annoyed, it wouldn't even NOTICE the electric fencing, never mind the stones or the glass.

I was with several others, an they didn't quite grasp why I was so concerned with not exciting the bull. Then this year, we had the story about that bull jumping into the stands of a bullfight.... I got an email from one pal saying, "Oh man, you really could have died!". NO ****!!!

My point?... maybe your goddess had the right idea about running, but I'm guessing she didn't know that cows, not bulls, are happy to stop and 'chat' over an apple or two. You dog.
DevilsAvocado
Dec31-10, 08:06 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,662
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
Women are more complex, but the downside is that you're all nuts!!!
But isnít that just a 'reaction' to the fact that they have to cope with "life-supporting-penises-systems"...?

Got to go now, Happy New Year to you all!!

nismaratwork
Dec31-10, 08:09 AM
Quote Quote by DevilsAvocado View Post
But isnít that just a 'reaction' to the fact that they have to cope with "life-supporting-penises-systems"...?

Got to go now, Happy New Year to you all!!

Now that's an interesting take on things, but we'll have to see if the PF sisterhood agrees...

Happy New Year to you as well, and to everyone.
DevilsAvocado
Dec31-10, 08:18 AM
PF Gold
Ivan Seeking
Dec31-10, 08:22 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
When I told my wife about this discussion, it took her about a millisecond to produce the same response.
nismaratwork
Dec31-10, 08:28 AM
When I told my wife about this discussion, it took her about a millisecond to produce the same response.
Ha! I'll tell that friend that he was right all along.
DevilsAvocado
Jan1-11, 10:04 AM
PF Gold
(grooaan... can’t get that concrete helmet off... ;)
I knew it!

...in an attempt to repair "the damage", I like to think of one of my favorite quotes by Sidney van den Bergh:
Galaxies are like people: the better you get to know them, the more peculiar they often seem.
If one peels off the varnishing stars, and get to the center, there’s often a black hole: Who am I? What am I doing here? WTF is going on!?

And depending on different hormone levels, it manifests in different (stereo)types:
Troglodyte-Sex-Machines

and/or

Neurotic-Chocolate-Eating-Shopaholics

(nismaratwork, be cool, I think I’ve gotten you off the thin ice now... )
nismaratwork
Jan1-11, 01:41 PM
(grooaan... canít get that concrete helmet off... ;)

I knew it!

...in an attempt to repair "the damage", I like to think of one of my favorite quotes by Sidney van den Bergh:
Galaxies are like people: the better you get to know them, the more peculiar they often seem.
If one peels off the varnishing stars, and get to the center, thereís often a black hole: Who am I? What am I doing here? WTF is going on!?

And depending on different hormone levels, it manifests in different (stereo)types:
Troglodyte-Sex-Machines

and/or

Neurotic-Chocolate-Eating-Shopaholics

(nismaratwork, be cool, I think Iíve gotten you off the thin ice now... )
True.. but you did it by painting a big glowing target on you! Well, thanks man... *runs away*
arabianights
Dec1-11, 05:57 PM
P: 25
my vote goes to

maria spiropulu

zoobyshoe
Dec1-11, 06:27 PM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by arabianights View Post
my vote goes to

maria spiropulu
I see what you mean.
Ivan Seeking
Dec1-11, 06:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
Oh please, Seven of Nine, for which there is no match, clearly qualifies. [I didn't see any Borg exclusion clauses for this contest]

humanino
Dec1-11, 06:35 PM
P: 2,828
My wife (is my answer to the original question)
zoobyshoe
Dec1-11, 07:07 PM
P: 5,630
Oh please, Seven of Nine, for which there is no match, clearly qualifies. [I didn't see any Borg exclusion clauses for this contest]
This is not fair since we have not yet seen Maria Spiropulu in a catsuit.

Register to reply