Optimizing Volume of a Cone Encasing a Sphere: Finding the Minimum Slant Angle

In summary, the author is having trouble modeling the question and is looking for a relationship between theta and R.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

This is an optimization problem but I'm having trouble modeling the question.

There is a sphere encased in a cone. The sphere has a fixed radius R and the cone has a variable height h and radius r. There is also a variable angle theta at the base of the cone.
Express the volume of the cone as a function of the angle theta, then find what slant angle theta should be used for the volume to be a minimum.2. The attempt at a solution

So far I have V=(pi*r^3*tan(θ))/3, where tan(θ)=h/r

the problem is how to describe r in terms of θ

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
There is another right triangle in the problem. Drop a perpendicular from the center of the sphere to the cone. One leg is R. The other is sqrt(r^2+h^2). And that triangle splits into two similar triangles. Does that help? This is kind of similar to your other problem.

I understand that there are two similar triangles in the cone but what I'm wondering is how to get the equation for volume solely in terms of theta.

armolinasf said:
I understand that there are two similar triangles in the cone but what I'm wondering is how to get the equation for volume solely in terms of theta.

You'll have to work it out. But if you know the angle is theta and the opposite leg is R, then you know everything about that triangle. Now look at the smaller triangle. The hypotenuse is R and an angle is theta. You know everything about that one as well, like r. You can express everything in terms of R and theta, right?

I feel like I've worked this one out every which way and I'm not seeing a relationship where i get something that is equivalent to the h*r^2 in terms of theta, unless that's where I'm going wrong?

armolinasf said:
I feel like I've worked this one out every which way and I'm not seeing a relationship where i get something that is equivalent to the h*r^2 in terms of theta, unless that's where I'm going wrong?

You aren't going to find an expression purely in terms of theta. You'll need to use the fixed radius R as well. You've already got one relationship. r/h=tan(theta). That let's you get rid of one variable. You just need one more. What have you found?

Using the proportionality of similar triangles, I have:

R=(r(h-r))/h

R=(r*sqrt(h-2R^2))/sqrt(r^2+h^2)

So, if tan theta = h/r = (sqrt(h-2R^2)/R), I'm having trouble seeing an identity for R that will give me the equivalent of r^2 or r*h^2 that will give me the r^2h I need to express the volume in terms of theta and R

armolinasf said:
Using the proportionality of similar triangles, I have:

R=(r(h-r))/h

R=(r*sqrt(h-2R^2))/sqrt(r^2+h^2)

So, if tan theta = h/r = (sqrt(h-2R^2)/R), I'm having trouble seeing an identity for R that will give me the equivalent of r^2 or r*h^2 that will give me the r^2h I need to express the volume in terms of theta and R

Look at the triangle whose vertices are i) the apex of the cone, ii) the center of the sphere and iii) a perpendicular from the center of the sphere to the side of the cone. I think that will give you an easier relation to work with.

1. How do you model a sphere in a cone?

To model a sphere in a cone, you can use mathematical equations and computer programs to create a digital representation of the shape. Alternatively, you can physically create a model by carving a cone shape out of a block of material and placing a small sphere inside it.

2. What is the purpose of modeling a sphere in a cone?

The purpose of modeling a sphere in a cone is to study and understand the relationship between these two geometric shapes. It can also be used in various engineering and design applications, such as creating architectural structures or designing machinery.

3. What challenges are involved in modeling a sphere in a cone?

One of the main challenges in modeling a sphere in a cone is accurately representing the curved surfaces of both shapes. This requires complex mathematical calculations and precise measurements. Creating a physical model can also be challenging as it requires precision in carving and assembling the two shapes.

4. Can a sphere perfectly fit inside a cone?

No, a sphere cannot perfectly fit inside a cone. The closest it can get is to have the center of the sphere touching the apex of the cone. The curved surface of the sphere will always have gaps between it and the inner surface of the cone.

5. Are there any real-life examples of a sphere in a cone?

Yes, there are real-life examples of a sphere in a cone, such as the shape of a pine cone or the shape of a scoop used to serve ice cream. These shapes may not be perfectly accurate representations, but they can be used as a simplified version of a sphere in a cone for practical purposes.