Register to reply

Analysis help - Continuous function that is differentiable at all points except c

Share this thread:
cooljosh2k2
Jan9-11, 08:01 PM
P: 69
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let I be an interval, and f: I --> R be a continuous function that is known to be differentiable on I except at c. Assume that f ' : I \ {c} --> R admits a continuous continuation to c (lim x -> c f ' exists). Show that f is in fact also differentiable at x and f ' (c) = lim x->c f '.

3. The attempt at a solution

This seems like a very easy question to me, but for some reason its stumping me, maybe because of the way my prof worded it, but im just a little confused. I know i need to use the mean value theorem, but im still stuck. Please help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
╔(σ_σ)╝
Jan9-11, 09:29 PM
P: 850
It seems that the fact that (lim x -> c f ' exists) means f derievative is bounded on I is important.

If I am thinking correctly I think f ' is uniformly continous since it has a continous extension on I.
cooljosh2k2
Jan9-11, 09:41 PM
P: 69
Quote Quote by ╔(σ_σ)╝ View Post
It seems that the fact that (lim x -> c f ' exists) means f derievative is bounded on I is important.

If I am thinking correctly I think f ' is uniformly continous since it has a continous extension on I.
How does the f ' being uniformly continuous help me at reaching my answer? If the Interval is [a,b], then the f ' is continuous on the open intervals (a,c) and (c,b), how could i show that while f' may not be continuous at in the interval at c, a derivative still exists.

╔(σ_σ)╝
Jan9-11, 09:46 PM
P: 850
Analysis help - Continuous function that is differentiable at all points except c

Quote Quote by cooljosh2k2 View Post
How does the f ' being uniformly continuous help me at reaching my answer? If the Interval is [a,b], then the f ' is continuous on the open intervals (a,c) and (c,b), how could i show that the f ' is continuous from (a,b) and therefore a derivative exists at c.
If we assume (lim x -> c f ' exists) then f ' has to be continuous at c since the left and right limits have to be equal. Once f ' is continuous on (a,b), f ' (c) = lim x->c f ' is simply a consequence of continuity.

Also if f' actually turns out to be uniformly continuous then the problem is trivial since f ' would be continous and which implies f ' (c) = lim x->c f '.
HallsofIvy
Jan10-11, 08:21 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,345
While the derivative of a function is not necessarily continuous, it does satisfy the "intermediate value property": if f'(a)= c and g'(b)= d, then, for any e between c and d, there exist x between a and b such that f'(x)= e.

In particular, that means that f is differentiable at x= c if and only if [math]\lim_{x\to c^-}f'(x)=\lim_{x\to c^+} f'(x)[/itex] and f'(c) is equal to that mutual value.

Register to reply