Register to reply

Uh... I need a runway, really... let me explain...

by rhody
Tags: bmw 1000rr
Share this thread:
nismaratwork
Jan13-11, 07:52 PM
P: 2,284
I realize this isn't very 'PF', but I sum up this whole thread, and recent post as, "this is so cool... hehehe...."
rhody
Jan13-11, 08:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
I realize this isn't very 'PF', but I sum up this whole thread, and recent post as, "this is so cool... hehehe...."
nismara,

I agree, if you live your life with little or no passion, then for what reason ?

Rhody...

P.S. Maybe I will find a way to scan, reduce and post, August 2011 Calendar shot with my bike in it. Give me a day or two, I will see what I can do.
nismaratwork
Jan14-11, 06:49 AM
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
nismara,

I agree, if you live your life with little or no passion, then for what reason ?

Rhody...

P.S. Maybe I will find a way to scan, reduce and post, August 2011 Calendar shot with my bike in it. Give me a day or two, I will see what I can do.
re bold: I like that choice of words, and I'm damned sure looking forward to that shot! I may not ride them, but they are sexy bikes... I don't know another word for it.
turbo
Jan14-11, 01:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Rhody, my situation is:

Nobody left to run with anymore.
Nobody left to do the crazy things we used to do before.

(It happened with white-water kayaking, and it happened with biking. Some activities just aren't that fun alone.)
nismaratwork
Jan14-11, 04:05 PM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Rhody, my situation is:

(It happened with white-water kayaking, and it happened with biking. Some activities just aren't that fun alone.)
Somehow, with everything, someday, it happens to all of us. The only alternative is to be one of the guys who leaves first, and that's no fun at all.
rhody
Jan14-11, 05:07 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Rhody, my situation is:

Turbo,

Here is my take on things, when I can no longer run, I jog, when I can no longer jog, I walk, when I can no longer walk, I crawl, I take whatever life has dish out and try to remain positive no matter what happens, and somehow I find ways to compensate, and even improve whatever resources I have even when faced with injuries, stress, etc...

I can still hike, bicycle, work out, ski, motorcycle, and fight like hell to keep my health so that I can keep enjoying these things. I have a friend, who has a really bad knee, it needs to be replaced and an advanced case of sarcoid, his lungs are about 60% or less than what they should be, and his is overweight too boot, but somehow this year he hiked in NH for a week with a friend and made it to a secluded lake that he had failed 3 other times to reach. The had to bushwhack through rough terrain to get there are well, on a Moose trail of all things !!! I was in touch with him on a Sat phone and gave him text messages of daily weather every 6 hours. He made it out on his own too, pretty remarkable if you ask me. Without hiking as a part of his life, it is well, simply not complete, simple as that.

I climbed Mt Greylock on my bike again this fall, it was a ***** of a climb, I made it in a little over two hours, what I am trying to say is at the end of the day, it is all about attitude, mindset and determination. Sometimes you don't always reach your goal, but it is a shame to give up trying.

Rhody...

P.S. Don't let anyone or anything stop you from trying to reach your dream(s) you set for yourself, however modest or bold. BTW, some of these activities I do by myself, and am fine with it. Hiking is with others as is skiing, but with everything else I pretty much do on my own, including climbing mountains on my bike.

Edit: One more thing, as you age, try to make and keep friends a decade or two younger than you. I have a good friend who is almost thirty years older than me, and he loves life, has health issues, most of his peer age group friends and relatives are dead or have little quality of life. I consider myself lucky to have met him and his wife almost ten years ago.

The calendar should be in the mail tomorrow, you should see it next week, it was done by a college student as part of a media course I believe. Going to see if I can get my bike's page scanned in on a large scanner tomorrow, probably at Kinko's. Then I will post it.
turbo
Jan14-11, 05:20 PM
PF Gold
I understand, Rhody. Two arthritic knees and a stroke that cost me coordination and balance, and I still pack my canoe and fishing gear into ponds. Can't give up fly-casting!

I wouldn't have given up biking, either, except for the lack of companionship. Four of us were pretty inseparable. Then one buddy started building a new house, and he dropped out. Soon, he developed cancer and died. Another buddy started clearing property, and having a house built. They couldn't afford to have it finished off, so there went all his weekends (it's still not done!). The third buddy followed suit when my wife and I sold our big place and down-sized, except that they bought a really cheap fixer-upper that needed (and still needs) lots of TLC. With nobody to run with, I sold my H-D. I still challenge myself - not about to lie down and die.
rhody
Jan14-11, 08:34 PM
PF Gold
Lets explore the Isle of Mann, the riders, and who better to start with than 15 time winner, John McGuiness, and a bit of high speed slow motion video (600 FPS) and John's description of it during practice. What you are seeing John do, save his bacon, is not something you can train for, it is pure nervous system reaction, instinctively he knows how to correct the squat cross up wheelie and his leg provides the necessary correction. Amazing...

Hold your breath... here it comes...

This gives me chills every time I watch it, see if it does for you as well: Around 1:50 amazing shots if steering damper and rider corrections to correct potential tank slappers.

2010 Natural Sounds, onboard...

Guy Martin who has never won a TT Race, podium ed many times and who almost died in this year's Senior TT, Crashed at 160 in a ball of flame and lived to tell the story, first an interview before 2009 TT:

His description of his crash at the senior TT.

Ian Hutchinson, Hutchie... first ever to win 5 TT's in a season. This interview was before the races. If it wasn't for Conor Cummins bad pitstop in the Superbike race, he would have been limited to 4 wins. Ian trained very very hard all winter and it showed in his endurance, focus, strength in the races. Amazing... Conor had a 21 second lead into the pitstop, and Hutchie was able to claw back for the win by about a 1.5 second margin. Onboard... Believe it or not there is a helicopter that takes long angle shots, and it can only do so for part of the course due to it's relatively slow speed, about 120 mph, the Onboard link provides some of those shots.

To give you some perspective, telemetry sequence with Bruce Anstey, you can get a feel for acceleration, deceleration and scratchy (that's an understatement) close quarter racing. Don't believe this is Isle of Mann though. They definitely need one of these Contour HD. Going to buy one or possibly two to record some of my exploits. 720 P with very very good high speed motion shots, vastly superior to what you see here.

More... NW 200 2009 on board Donald telemetry
Notice the ring on the fork slider as Cameron takes off, that tells the rider what maximum compression was put on the fork, and helps the rider decide to increase compression and or rebound damping to compensate. From this perspective you get a rough idea of the braking forces being applied, in the hundreds of pounds of force on the riders arms every time the fork is almost compressed to the bottom.

Cameron Donald (Kiwi) smashing lap record in 2009, 17 min 13.25 seconds, average speed 131.467 mph. I have this is 1080P HD, it is simply awesome... This doesn't do it justice by any means. Around the 2 minute (video) mark, he simply drives away from the helicopter, unable to keep up.

They need one of those acrobatic planes that can easily cruise at 200 plus mph to take high speed shots, anyone from the IOM listening ?! hehe. He definitely uncorked one that day.

There are more top riders, with some interesting stories to tell, this is a start, hope you like them, I know I did and still do. Will report on more in the near future. Enjoy...

Rhody...
nismaratwork
Jan15-11, 06:22 AM
Lets explore the Isle of Mann, the riders, and who better to start with than 15 time winner, John McGuiness, and a bit of high speed slow motion video (600 FPS) and John's description of it during practice. What you are seeing John do, save his bacon, is not something you can train for, it is pure nervous system reaction, instinctively he knows how to correct the squat cross up wheelie and his leg provides the necessary correction. Amazing...

Hold your breath... here it comes...

This gives me chills every time I watch it, see if it does for you as well: Around 1:50 amazing shots if steering damper and rider corrections to correct potential tank slappers.

2010 Natural Sounds, onboard...

Guy Martin who has never won a TT Race, podium ed many times and who almost died in this year's Senior TT, Crashed at 160 in a ball of flame and lived to tell the story, first an interview before 2009 TT:

His description of his crash at the senior TT.

Ian Hutchinson, Hutchie... first ever to win 5 TT's in a season. This interview was before the races. If it wasn't for Conor Cummins bad pitstop in the Superbike race, he would have been limited to 4 wins. Ian trained very very hard all winter and it showed in his endurance, focus, strength in the races. Amazing... Conor had a 21 second lead into the pitstop, and Hutchie was able to claw back for the win by about a 1.5 second margin. Onboard... Believe it or not there is a helicopter that takes long angle shots, and it can only do so for part of the course due to it's relatively slow speed, about 120 mph, the Onboard link provides some of those shots.

To give you some perspective, telemetry sequence with Bruce Anstey, you can get a feel for acceleration, deceleration and scratchy (that's an understatement) close quarter racing. Don't believe this is Isle of Mann though. They definitely need one of these Contour HD. Going to buy one or possibly two to record some of my exploits. 720 P with very very good high speed motion shots, vastly superior to what you see here.

More... NW 200 2009 on board Donald telemetry
Notice the ring on the fork slider as Cameron takes off, that tells the rider what maximum compression was put on the fork, and helps the rider decide to increase compression and or rebound damping to compensate. From this perspective you get a rough idea of the braking forces being applied, in the hundreds of pounds of force on the riders arms every time the fork is almost compressed to the bottom.

Cameron Donald (Kiwi) smashing lap record in 2009, 17 min 13.25 seconds, average speed 131.467 mph. I have this is 1080P HD, it is simply awesome... This doesn't do it justice by any means. Around the 2 minute (video) mark, he simply drives away from the helicopter, unable to keep up.

They need one of those acrobatic planes that can easily cruise at 200 plus mph to take high speed shots, anyone from the IOM listening ?! hehe. He definitely uncorked one that day.

There are more top riders, with some interesting stories to tell, this is a start, hope you like them, I know I did and still do. Will report on more in the near future. Enjoy...

Rhody...
I love this.
rhody
Jan15-11, 10:50 AM
PF Gold
nismara,

Thanks, a little bonus for you, this gave me chills, very well done...

Rhody...
nismaratwork
Jan15-11, 11:29 AM
nismara,

Thanks, a little bonus for you, this gave me chills, very well done...

Rhody...
Oh man... I wonder how many thousands of hours of practice it takes for your nervous system to get wired that way?! I'd bet it's somewhere near what it takes to achieve 'mastery' in a craft or subject...
rhody
Jan15-11, 12:12 PM
PF Gold
thousands of hours... and tens of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of miles...
You hit the nail on the head my friend, most of these guys have been riding since a very tender age, 5 or less.

Rhody...
rhody
Jan16-11, 04:24 PM
PF Gold
Here is the August Calendar picture with my bike and the model. I had to scan it, play with the image a bit to get it to look halfway decent. It is tough getting things to look sharp when you only have a 300KB to play with. The Calendar project was a college student's media project, not sure for what grade. I was told all the models were college students. There are a few things on the bike now that are not in that picture, carbon fiber rear fender, full Ohlins suspension, new 2X windscreen, custom brake, clutch levers, radiator guards, bar end mirrors that change the look.

Rhody...
Attached Thumbnails
Aug_calendar_girl7.jpg  
nismaratwork
Jan16-11, 10:05 PM
Here is the August Calendar picture with my bike and the model. I had to scan it, play with the image a bit to get it to look halfway decent. It is tough getting things to look sharp when you only have a 300KB to play with. The Calendar project was a college student's media project, not sure for what grade. I was told all the models were college students. There are a few things on the bike now that are not in that picture, carbon fiber rear fender, full Ohlins suspension, new 2X windscreen, custom brake, clutch levers, radiator guards, bar end mirrors that change the look.

Rhody...
Yowza! Hot bike... hot lady... brain *meltdown*
turbo
Jan16-11, 10:21 PM
PF Gold
Nice shot, Rhody. Can't wait for the calendar.
turbo
Jan18-11, 03:13 PM
PF Gold
I have a new calendar for the wall next to my desk. Wow. I paged through it slowly and started drooling. Some of the girls were cute, too!

Thanks Rhody.
rhody
Jan18-11, 06:13 PM
PF Gold
Turbo,

Glad you like it, am a bit beat, family health issue, appendicitis (we suspected it coming), not me, Rhody wife, and was up real late last evening, and all day at hospital today. She is home now and resting, has anti-nausea and pain meds.

I wish I had more energy to do more posting, it is such a great stress reliever. Maybe this weekend, I will try to outdo myself. Have more bits and pieces on order for the bike, alarm, custom seat cover, and soon Ohlins steering damper, Xenon headlights, and flush turn signals, just about ready to order some custom decals too. If I like the way some of the decals work I will have them painted, some are impossible because of their complexity.

Rhody...
nismaratwork
Jan18-11, 07:15 PM
Turbo,

Glad you like it, am a bit beat, family health issue, appendicitis (we suspected it coming), not me, Rhody wife, and was up real late last evening, and all day at hospital today. She is home now and resting, has anti-nausea and pain meds.

I wish I had more energy to do more posting, it is such a great stress reliever. Maybe this weekend, I will try to outdo myself. Have more bits and pieces on order for the bike, alarm, custom seat cover, and soon Ohlins steering damper, Xenon headlights, and flush turn signals, just about ready to order some custom decals too. If I like the way some of the decals work I will have them painted, some are impossible because of their complexity.

Rhody...
Ooooh, sorry to hear it! Take care, and I hope she recovers quickly.

Register to reply