All Possible Forces Known To Man

by Allen93
Tags: force, gravity, newton, physics, susskind
Allen93
Jan26-11, 12:47 PM
P: 12
If a stone with a net force of approximately 0 sat on the surface of the Earth where it was perfectly level, what are ALL of the possible forces acting upon the stone known to man?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Scientists observe quantum superconductor-metal transition and superconducting glass
New technique detects microscopic diabetes-related eye damage
berkeman
Jan26-11, 03:46 PM
Mentor
P: 39,612
Quote Quote by Allen93 View Post
If a stone with a net force of approximately 0 sat on the surface of the Earth where it was perfectly level, what are ALL of the possible forces acting upon the stone known to man?
What forces can you think of so far, Allen? In your Pre-AP Physics class, you should have covered the basics of the forces on that rock.
Allen93
Jan26-11, 04:48 PM
P: 12
In class we only covered the very basic; skimmed the surface. So to the best of my knowledge, the normal force of the Earth of the rock and the force due to gravity? I have no idea but I read somewhere that there would be a buoyant force on it from the atmospheric pressure of air on it?

cephron
Jan26-11, 04:50 PM
P: 125

All Possible Forces Known To Man

If you truly want to cover all possible forces, you should check to see if the stone contains any magnetic substances. ;)

Register to reply