Enthelpy of Reaction at other than 298K

• Thread starter juice34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, when calculating the heat of reaction for a process at a different temperature than the known heat of reaction at 298K, it is important to use the correct Cp values for that temperature. By integrating the Cp values and using accurate data, you can obtain more accurate results. Additionally, minimizing residuals can also improve the accuracy of the calculations.
juice34
I am curious as to how to calculate the heat of reaction for a exothermic chemical reaction other than at 298.15K. This is more of a check than anything else and anyone elses input on how to obtain more accurate results will be greatly appreciated. Here we go

I want to calculate the heat of reaction for a process at let's say 600K, although i have the known heat of reaction at 298K as well as the Cp at 298K.

Part A)
From what i know,
the new heat of reaction is=integral(Cp(298K), 298K,600K)=delta H at 600K [kj/mol], correct?

Part B)
although, i have found other references that have conflicting reports on the Cp to use, some say use the Cp at 600K, in the above equation, which i don't think makes sense?

Part C)
The logical way, if i know the Cp at 600K (calculated from the shomate), i can just multiply the Cp(600K)*T(600K), correct?

Part D)
As far as getting more accurate values, obtaining the residuals (by calculation of course) will give the best numerical value.(from an old thermo book)

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Part A) Yes, you are correct. The heat of reaction at 600K can be calculated by integrating the Cp values from 298K to 600K.

Part B) It is important to use the correct Cp values for the temperature range you are interested in. If you are calculating the heat of reaction at 600K, you should use the Cp values at 600K. Using the Cp values at 298K may not give an accurate result.

Part C) Yes, you can use the Cp values at 600K to calculate the heat of reaction at 600K. However, it is important to make sure that the Cp values you are using are accurate and reliable.

Part D) Yes, obtaining residuals can help in obtaining more accurate results. Residuals are the differences between the experimental data and the calculated values. By minimizing these residuals, you can improve the accuracy of your calculations. However, it is also important to use reliable and accurate data in your calculations.

1. What is Enthalpy of Reaction?

Enthalpy of reaction, also known as heat of reaction, is the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

2. Why do we need to consider temperatures other than 298K?

Reactions may occur at temperatures other than 298K in real-world situations. It is important to understand how temperature affects the enthalpy of a reaction to accurately predict and control outcomes.

3. How does temperature affect the Enthalpy of Reaction?

Temperature affects the enthalpy of reaction through changes in the kinetic energy of molecules. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of molecules also increases, leading to higher reaction rates and changes in the enthalpy.

4. How is the Enthalpy of Reaction at other temperatures calculated?

The Enthalpy of Reaction at other temperatures can be calculated using the Van't Hoff equation, which relates the enthalpy change to the temperature change and the heat capacity of the reactants and products. Alternatively, it can also be determined experimentally by measuring the heat released or absorbed during the reaction at different temperatures.

5. What is the significance of Enthalpy of Reaction at other temperatures?

Understanding the Enthalpy of Reaction at other temperatures is crucial for many industrial processes, such as in the production of chemicals and the design of efficient energy systems. It also provides valuable insights into the thermodynamics of a reaction and can help predict the stability and feasibility of a reaction at different temperatures.