Craft Beers, Microbreweries and Homebrewing

by Astronuc
Tags: beers, craft, homebrewing, microbreweries
Norman
Feb7-11, 08:04 AM
P: 922
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/ is great and wins many awards!
Oh, you are making me crave an Uff-da! One of the best winter beers!

When I was in grad school, one of my favorite things to do was to head up to the coast of New Hampshire and hang out in Portsmouth at the the Portsmouth Brewery!

http://www.portsmouthbrewery.com/

If you appreciate craft beer and willing to take some risks, you can really get your mind opened. In fact, my local mart carries their Old Brown Dog. Makes me so happy!
Astronuc
Feb7-11, 09:13 AM
Admin
P: 21,637
Quote Quote by Norman View Post
Oh, you are making me crave an Uff-da! One of the best winter beers!

When I was in grad school, one of my favorite things to do was to head up to the coast of New Hampshire and hang out in Portsmouth at the the Portsmouth Brewery!

http://www.portsmouthbrewery.com/

If you appreciate craft beer and willing to take some risks, you can really get your mind opened. In fact, my local mart carries their Old Brown Dog. Makes me so happy!
Ha - I've had Smuttynose. It was locally available. 'Twas OK.

I need a road trip to Portsmouth. Gotta try the Holidaze and Imperial Porters.
S_Happens
Feb9-11, 01:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 301
Right now in my fridge I have...
Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Rogue Imperial Pilsner
Sam Adams Winter Lager (ok, huge craft brewery not micro, but still delicious)

My personal preference is more malty and less bitter. I stay away from high bitter stuff like IPAs, just never have been able to enjoy them. But I'm constantly swapping up what beer I'm enjoying depending on time of year and need for variety. I even brewed my own batch of brown ale, although it didn't turn out to be anything exciting. I've been doing a lot more research and will try again soon.

Here's a couple I return to more often than others
www.rogue.com - I like quite a few of their offerings, particularly Hazelnut Brown Nectar
www.saintarnold.com - Local in Houston, known for a tasty brown ale
Nicodemus
Feb9-11, 01:57 PM
P: 82
Quote Quote by S_Happens View Post
Right now in my fridge I have...
Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Rogue Imperial Pilsner
Sam Adams Winter Lager (ok, huge craft brewery not micro, but still delicious)

My personal preference is more malty and less bitter. I stay away from high bitter stuff like IPAs, just never have been able to enjoy them. But I'm constantly swapping up what beer I'm enjoying depending on time of year and need for variety. I even brewed my own batch of brown ale, although it didn't turn out to be anything exciting. I've been doing a lot more research and will try again soon.

Here's a couple I return to more often than others
www.rogue.com - I like quite a few of their offerings, particularly Hazelnut Brown Nectar
www.saintarnold.com - Local in Houston, known for a tasty brown ale
Keep listing them, and you're going to find a Nicodemus in your fridge drinking your beer!
dlgoff
Feb9-11, 02:57 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
Ever since this thread started I can't stop going to my local micro-brewer for my favorite Golden Wheat State.
Nicodemus
Feb9-11, 03:28 PM
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Ever since this thread started I can't stop going to my local micro-brewer for my favorite Golden Wheat State.
Yeah, this thread makes it clear that too many beers exist, which taste far too good. Where is the 'Women's Temperance Movement' when you need it?! ;)
dlgoff
Feb9-11, 03:39 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Nicodemus View Post
Where is the 'Women's Temperance Movement' when you need it?! ;)
Probably drinking really good beer.

As a mater of fact, I think I'll have another.
Nicodemus
Feb9-11, 03:47 PM
Probably drinking really good beer.

As a mater of fact, I think I'll have another.
Cheers!
turbo
Feb9-11, 03:54 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Many of the local microbrew bottled beers are excellent, though some really shine when they are on tap. You could plan a Maine vacation around visits to microbreweries and their brew-pubs. Oak Pond Brewing in Skowhegan, Atlantic Brewing Company in Bar Harbor, Sea Dog in Topsam, Bangor, and South Portland, Shipyard Brewery in Portland, etc. Some of their products are available on-tap in selected unaffiliated taverns and bars, too.
dlgoff
Feb9-11, 04:02 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Many of the local microbrew bottled beers are excellent, though some really shine when they are on tap. You could plan a Maine vacation around visits to microbreweries and their brew-pubs. Oak Pond Brewing in Skowhegan, Atlantic Brewing Company in Bar Harbor, Sea Dog in Topsam, Bangor, and South Portland, Shipyard Brewery in Portland, etc. Some of their products are available on-tap in selected unaffiliated taverns and bars, too.
You know? That sounds like an excellent idea.

Funny you mention microbrew bottled beers. Yesterday when I was filling my jugs (one just wasn't enough so I bought another) the bartender said I could buy it bottled and save a little money. But I decided direct from the tap was the way to go. I did ask him about kegs, etc. and he told me that on Mondays they provide kegs of one particular crafted beer for that week.
Nicodemus
Feb9-11, 04:03 PM
See, this is why i don't understand how some fermented grapes have become so much more "fabulous" than delicious brews.

So, I live not too many hours drive from Maine... what time of year would you recommend for a beer-tour, and taking some time to just kick back (nothing fancy)?
turbo
Feb9-11, 04:23 PM
PF Gold
Early to mid-fall would probably be best, after the bulk of the tourists have gone home. Plus, many micros brew up special seasonal batches for October.
dlgoff
Feb9-11, 04:35 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Plus, many micros brew up special seasonal batches for October.
Would I have to bring my snow shovel?

It would probably be worth it though.
turbo
Feb9-11, 04:38 PM
PF Gold
Would I have to bring my snow shovel?

It would probably be worth it though.
Not for October (usually). Plus, early October is prime-time for foliage.
Nicodemus
Feb9-11, 04:57 PM
Early to mid-fall would probably be best, after the bulk of the tourists have gone home. Plus, many micros brew up special seasonal batches for October.
Thanks, it sounds good to me, and fall is a good season in New England.
S_Happens
Feb10-11, 10:34 AM
PF Gold
P: 301
Marzen style beers (Oktoberfest) are VERY high on my list, although there's a lot of variety within the style. I'm always looking forward to the fall, even though we don't really have one here in Houston. :D
dlgoff
Feb10-11, 02:13 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by S_Happens View Post
Marzen style beers (Oktoberfest) are VERY high on my list, although there's a lot of variety within the style. I'm always looking forward to the fall, even though we don't really have one here in Houston. :D
No falls. Just winters it seems.
turbo
Feb10-11, 02:24 PM
PF Gold
Oak Pond Brewery's Oktoberfest is a wonderful brew. Not too hoppy, but with a nice malt flavor. I prefer their ales, but lager-fans would probably love their Oktoberfest.

Their Storyteller Dopplebock is a winter seasonal brew that is cold-seasoned for a couple of months or so. Potent, and very smooth and tasty. You'd have to live nearby to appreciate all the variations that this little micro produces.

Register to reply