Register to reply

Wired connection to XP box

by DaveC426913
Tags: connection, wired
Share this thread:
DaveC426913
Feb14-11, 10:50 PM
P: 15,319
Just got a new computer. Has nothing on it but XP. Plugged a network cable into it and into my router. The network port is directly into the back of my computer, not into an add-on slot or anything. System does not detect any hardware. It does nothing.

Shouldn't it detect the network?

If not, is it possible the network cable is pooched? Or maybe I need to install software to get the network adapter going?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Greg Bernhardt
Feb14-11, 11:11 PM
Admin
P: 9,296
Shouldn't need any software for a wired connection. Try plugging straight into the cable modem and see what you get. With XP you may need to restart with it plugged in.
Pengwuino
Feb14-11, 11:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Is the onboard network adapter installed properly? Check your device manager. It will still come up as a network adapter

JaredJames
Feb14-11, 11:15 PM
P: 3,387
Wired connection to XP box

Right click on My Computer and open the Device Manager. Anything in there with a question mark or exclamation mark has a problem.

Given it's a new system, it sounds like the drivers for the network adapter aren't installed. Check the make of the motherboard and Google for drivers. If there's a network one, install it and see if it helps.

If the computer is newer than XP, chances are it doesn't have the drivers for the hardware.
rcgldr
Feb15-11, 02:39 AM
HW Helper
P: 7,033
First go to device manager and check for "network" adapters to make sure XP recognizes your ethernet controller. If it shows an adapter, then the router or modem will have to assign an ip address to your network adapter. If the ethernet cable is bad then an ip address can't be assigned. You can also open a dos console window and enter the command

ipconfig

or

ipconfig /all | more

to display all settings, including the "mac" address of your ethernet adapter. If you see what looks like valid data here, try these commands to get an old ip address released and a new one assigned:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew
DaveC426913
Feb15-11, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I checked Device Manager. No Network adapter.

Also, somehow, it has managed to take down my entire network. My other wired computer now no longer has internet access....
DaveC426913
Feb15-11, 09:06 PM
So, how does one install drivers for an onboard network adapter? It's not like I can check the packaging to determine the make & model...
JaredJames
Feb15-11, 09:08 PM
See my post above.

The computer should have a sticker with the motherboard details on it.
DaveC426913
Feb15-11, 09:51 PM
Attached is a pic of the computer's innards.

I have become particularly concerned with that video port. The entire reason we bought this computer was for the power of the video card. There's no card. Is it possible it's an onboard chip?

Dang. I can't remember the name of the GPU now. Might have been Radeon or GeForce.

Device Manager shows only VGA compatible video driver.

Anyway, the motherboard is an AMD Sempron LE-1300.
Attached Thumbnails
computer_network.jpg   computer_motherboard.jpg  
TylerH
Feb15-11, 11:05 PM
P: 737
There is something in an expansion slot. It's the only thing with a tan colored cable connected to it. I can't tell what it is, because I can't see the ports on it(obviously). Unless you have the proper drivers installed, a video card will stay in legacy-emulation mode and act pretty much like the normal VGA/VBE video output.
rcgldr
Feb16-11, 12:09 AM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
The motherboard is an AMD Sempron LE-1300.
That's the CPU model number. The motherboard is a Asus M2N68-LA as seen in the right hand photo above, however, it's not listed at the Asus web site. Apparently it's special built for Compaq/HP. There are multiple versions based on this search at hp:

http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=u...m2n68-la&la=en

The only "green" ones: are narra6 or narra6L:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...reg_R1002_USEN

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...reg_R1002_USEN

The ethernet adapter is supposed to be a Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps. However Realtek doesn't offer a driver, since it's an OEM part, instead referring you back to the motherboard maker for the driver. why can't I find driver for RTL8201x?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/faqsV...PFid=1&Level=3

Going back to the HP site, they don't offer a XP driver for the Realtek RTL8102N, and I've found a few complaints about this situation while looking this up. (This is why I don't buy OEM products like Dell, Compaq, HP, ..., you never really know what you're getting, and finding drivers is a pain).

Since you just bought the computer, didn't it come with a cd-rom with drivers on it? Can you take it back to the store and ask them to locate the driver for you? (or just take it back and get a refund).
DaveC426913
Feb16-11, 06:58 AM
Quote Quote by TylerH View Post
There is something in an expansion slot. It's the only thing with a tan colored cable connected to it. I can't tell what it is, because I can't see the ports on it(obviously).
That's the network card, as seen on the other pic.

Quote Quote by TylerH View Post
Unless you have the proper drivers installed, a video card will stay in legacy-emulation mode and act pretty much like the normal VGA/VBE video output.
So, it's possible this computer does have a GPU like they said?
JaredJames
Feb16-11, 08:21 AM
That could be why it doesn't show up - if it's an addon. See if it ha a model number on it.
So, it's possible this computer does have a GPU like they said?
Do you have a picture on the screen?
DaveC426913
Feb16-11, 08:24 AM
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
Do you have a picture on the screen?

I meant: is it possible it still has a high-end GPU (as opposed to just a VGA output) despite the fact that there's no slotted video card?

i.e. do they put high-end GPUs directly on motherboards?

Edit: Apparently, as per rcgldr's links, above, they do. Picking one of the M2N68 boards at random, the specs shows it has an nVidia GEForce 6150SE.
JaredJames
Feb16-11, 08:28 AM
I meant: is it possible it still has a high-end GPU (as opposed to just a VGA output) despite the fact that there's no slotted video card?

i.e. do they put high-end GPUs directly on motherboards?
No. Well, not as far as I've ever seen.

If you bought this with the specific request of a high-end graphics card, then I'm afraid to say they've lied to you.

Another reason to believe it isn't high end (a good warning flag) - good graphics cards these days almost always require their own cooling.
DaveC426913
Feb16-11, 08:48 AM
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
No. Well, not as far as I've ever seen.

If you bought this with the specific request of a high-end graphics card, then I'm afraid to say they've lied to you.
But this motherboard here lists the GPU, and yet you can see that the video is integrated:
JaredJames
Feb16-11, 08:56 AM
But this motherboard here lists the GPU, and yet you can see that the video is integrated:
I can guarantee you (just from looking at the pics you posted) that it isn't a very powerful graphics system. Integrated ones are rarely powerful. A graphics card capable of high end use is going to have it's own fan. Yours doesn't even appear to have its own heatsink.

Also, there's about 10 different motherboards in your link, which is yours?
rcgldr
Feb16-11, 01:17 PM
HW Helper
That's a fax modem, HP Concorde 56k PCIe Data Fax Modem 503095-001. You've been plugging in an ethernet cable into a telephone line socket, which I thought was a possibility. The network adapter for that motherboards is a Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps, and it's on-board. Look for another ethernet socket on the back panel of that motherboard.

The main issue is finding a XP driver for the Realtek RTL8201N, as this is a OEM part where there's an agreement that Realtek will not suppy a device driver for that part.

If there's another PCI slot, you could by a standard ethernet adapter card that would include drivers. If you don't need a fax modem, then remove that card.

Register to reply