Register to reply

Poisson distribution problem

by solerFF
Tags: distribution, poisson
Share this thread:
solerFF
Mar3-11, 07:24 AM
P: 4
The number of cars driving past a parking area in a one-minute time interval has a Poisson distribution with mean lambda. The probability that any individual driver actually wants to park his or her car is p. Assume that individuals decide whether to park independently of one another.
a)If one parking place is available and it will take you one minute to reach the parking area,what is the probability that a space will still be available when you reach the lot? (Assume that no one leaves the lot during the one-minute interval.)

b)Let W denote the number of drivers who wish to park during a one-minute interval.Derive the probability distribution of W.

could anyone help me to solve this problem? I've no idea about this.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
bpet
Mar3-11, 06:27 PM
P: 523
Quote Quote by solerFF View Post
The number of cars driving past a parking area in a one-minute time interval has a Poisson distribution with mean lambda. The probability that any individual driver actually wants to park his or her car is p. Assume that individuals decide whether to park independently of one another.
a)If one parking place is available and it will take you one minute to reach the parking area,what is the probability that a space will still be available when you reach the lot? (Assume that no one leaves the lot during the one-minute interval.)

b)Let W denote the number of drivers who wish to park during a one-minute interval.Derive the probability distribution of W.

could anyone help me to solve this problem? I've no idea about this.
Try conditioning on N, with

[tex]P[W=k|N=n] = (^nC_k)p^k(1-p)^{n-k}[/tex]

and P[W=k] is simply the expectation wrt N.

Register to reply