The Great Outdoors

by Astronuc
Tags: outdoors
Share this thread:
Borek
Mar10-11, 09:14 AM
Admin
P: 23,595
Not a ski mountain for sure, how natural - no idea. It is not very high, something like 700 meters above sea level (about 2000 feet), could be the forest was removed for farming. The picture is (intentionally) misleading - it was composed to avoid most traces of people. This one was taken about an hour or two later, in a different spot, and better shows how the area really looks like:

As you see it is not as wild as the first picture suggests.

Patches of snow were left only on northern slopes, and pictures were taken in different directions.
nismaratwork
Mar10-11, 09:17 AM
P: 2,284
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Not a ski mountain for sure, how natural - no idea. It is not very high, something like 700 meters above sea level (about 2000 feet), could be the forest was removed for farming. The picture is (intentionally) misleading - it was composed to avoid most traces of people. This one was taken about an hour or two later, in a different spot, and better shows how the area really looks like:

As you see it is not as wild as the first picture suggests.
That is so beautiful, it takes my breath away; that stand of (birch?) in front of the conifers is a perfect segue from the sepia tones through red, to green. I think I like this more casual shot even more than the snowy ones.
Borek
Mar10-11, 09:23 AM
Admin
Birches they are.
nismaratwork
Mar10-11, 09:24 AM
Birches they are.
If that's where you live, you are a very lucky man.
Borek
Mar10-11, 09:32 AM
Admin
No, I live about 400 km North, that was just a short trip.
nismaratwork
Mar10-11, 09:36 AM
No, I live about 400 km North, that was just a short trip.
Close enough... I had no idea Poland was so... wild and... well... it looks a lot like New England, but more open and clean.
Borek
Mar10-11, 09:48 AM
Admin
nismaratwork
Mar10-11, 09:53 AM
Ooooohh, thanks Borek!
AlephZero
Mar10-11, 12:02 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,175
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
When I threw myself into white-water kayaking, I wound up being black and blue with some regularity.
Another way to get black and blue involving water - the annual "football" game played every Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) and the following day in a local town.

The tradition is that this has been played for about 1000 years, though all the historical records was destroyed in a fire in about 1890, so nobody is quite sure. There are reliable accounts of it being played in the 17th century.

The population living either side of the river flowing through the middle of the town form the two teams. The ball is solid (a leather casing whcih is elaborately painted, and stuffed with cork chippings), and weighs about four pounds. The goals are two bridges over the river, about 3 miles apart. Each day's game lasts a maximum of 8 hours, finishing well after dark.The first team to score a goal wins, but if the game is won in less than 4 hours, a second game is started.

There are very few rules. It is basically an 8-hour scrum-down, with anything up to 500 people taking part. When somebody dies while playing, there is a one-minute silence before the start of the next game in their memory.

All shop windows etc in the center of the town are boarded up as protection, except for the pubs and bars which are open all day. Anything which gets in the way of the game does not survive. The police block roads as necessary to stop unsuspecting motorists having their cars torn apart, but otherwise keep a low profile!

2011 was one for the record books - the first time in 75 years that 4 goals were scored in one year.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/derby/hi...00/9419123.stm, and the links on that page.
nismaratwork
Mar10-11, 08:26 PM
Wait... "shrove" is the past tense of "shrift" right?... How does that turn into pancakes?

Oh... the pubs... Oh, and "when somebody dies"... Good lord...
Gokul43201
Mar11-11, 05:59 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
This announcement is a bit late for some parts of the world, but in any case...

If you enjoy the outdoors, you should look into attending the Banff Mountain Film Festival. It is awesome! The Festival features a collection of the year's coolest outdoor films and documentaries and has showings around the world.

Tour dates for the US are mostly in March-April, though NYC had theirs in Feb, I think, as did most of Canada. Dates in Europe run from Feb through April. See (under Worl Tour) here for more info: http://www.banffcentre.ca/mountainfestival/worldtour/

Promo video:

Andy Resnick
Mar11-11, 08:22 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,524
Took these this morning- I stopped down the lens as much as possible (f/20, f/22), which helped intensify the contrast. Sucks to be a tree in this weather...

and I call this one "Defiance". A clean background would be *much* better, but I'll take what I can get:

turbo
Mar11-11, 08:28 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Ah, forsythias in the snow. A common occurrence here - still a welcome sign of spring.
nismaratwork
Mar11-11, 08:42 AM
Those are lovely pictures, but like Turbo-1 that's spring incoming right there!
AlephZero
Mar11-11, 09:13 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
Wait... "shrove" is the past tense of "shrift" right?... How does that turn into pancakes?
Nope, past tense of "shrive", as in confess your sins to the priest and do your penance. Shrovetide was the old name for the period before the start of Lent.

You also had to eat all the perishable food that was forbidden in the 40 days of fasting in Lent- hence Mardi Gras, pancake day, etc.

Oh... the pubs... Oh, and "when somebody dies"... Good lord...
This isn't a wimpy sport like American Football where the players all wear body armor and there's a medical team to deal with injuries. If you finish up on the ground in the middle of the "hug", you don't expect anybody to blow a whistle to stop play and call an ambulance.

The last fatality was in 2008 IIRC. Actually he didn't die during the game, but in a bar afterwards. Probably a combination of physical exhaustion, mild hypothermia, and alcohol poisoning. Way to go.
nismaratwork
Mar11-11, 09:59 AM
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Nope, past tense of "shrive", as in confess your sins to the priest and do your penance. Shrovetide was the old name for the period before the start of Lent.

You also had to eat all the perishable food that was forbidden in the 40 days of fasting in Lent- hence Mardi Gras, pancake day, etc.
Ahhhhh!!! (I admit, I was thinking shrive, but I kept going back to "short shrift")... that makes a lot of sense actually.

Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
This isn't a wimpy sport like American Football where the players all wear body armor and there's a medical team to deal with injuries. If you finish up on the ground in the middle of the "hug", you don't expect anybody to blow a whistle to stop play and call an ambulance.

The last fatality was in 2008 IIRC. Actually he didn't die during the game, but in a bar afterwards. Probably a combination of physical exhaustion, mild hypothermia, and alcohol poisoning. Way to go.
Hmmm... only one thing to add to that list that makes it the perfect death!
Andre
Mar11-11, 10:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,459
Quote Quote by Andy Resnick View Post
and I call this one "Defiance".
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Ah, forsythias in the snow. A common occurrence here - still a welcome sign of spring.
I thought that too for a second but maybe it could be a Hamamelis instead.

I mean forsythias just start to open here while the season for Hamamelis is almost over, that's a real winter flower.
AlephZero
Mar11-11, 10:33 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
In the UK there is a lot of variation in the flowering times of forysthias, though different plants are consistent from year to year. Some flower early March, but the one in my garden doesn't start till April, independent of the weather.

I don't know if they are different species or cultivars - they all look the pretty much the same.

Register to reply