Improvements to PF P&WA

by rootX
Tags: None
nismaratwork
Mar12-11, 08:40 PM
P: 2,281
I think this may be something that can be made official, rather than voluntary; the ability to set a specific group of rules in a given thread. It should limit the scope of discussion, but maybe there can be specific rule-sets that a poster can institute if they want to limit the scope of a given thread.

Gokul has done this here: http://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...86&postcount=1

Lets say that's one rule-set, limiting commentary, etc; there can be others, and much as you'd setup a poll, the OP can apply the rule-set (only at the outset). This shouldn't be something you HAVE to do, nor should it stop parrallel threads, but it could allow for a controlled region without having to resort to new sub-forums.

In this context, Gokul is saying x,y,z... apeiron might demand that any post adressing B, needs C to support it.
Evo
Mar12-11, 08:40 PM
Mentor
P: 25,911
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
If that is a punishment, then punish me.
Be careful what you wish for. Just wait until you start getting death threats, not every member has both oars in the water.
nismaratwork
Mar12-11, 08:41 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Just wait until you start getting death threats, not every member has both oars in the water.
DEATH threats?! Not, 'I'm pissed, blankity blank' or even, this last DDOS... but a personal death threat?!

I sincerely hope those are reported to the FBI.
Char. Limit
Mar12-11, 08:42 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,930
Oh, don't worry. I'm ready for any death threats that come my way.
Evo
Mar12-11, 08:48 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
DEATH threats?! Not, 'I'm pissed, blankity blank' or even, this last DDOS... but a personal death threat?!

I sincerely hope those are reported to the FBI.
I believe he was, but not for me, for a young female member he threatened to kidnap and dismember and she had pretty much given out her location. But I'm just guessing.
nismaratwork
Mar12-11, 08:52 PM
I believe he was, but not for me, for a young female member he threatened to kidnap and dismember and she had pretty much given out her location. But I'm just guessing.
What The... kidnap and DISMEMBER... that is a very detailed and unusual fantasy even to consider. It's my experience that people who consider dismemberment are either out of their minds, or so enraged as to be extremely dangerous.

@Char. Limit: Don't be so sure... sometimes people really make a try... it's not just about an empty threat, or at least, you can't treat them that way. Like an attempt or claim to suicide, a claim to murder... the more detailed the more worrying... is something you MUST take seriously.

edit: ...And people wonder why I own sidearms...
Char. Limit
Mar12-11, 08:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,930
What The... kidnap and DISMEMBER... that is a very detailed and unusual fantasy even to consider. It's my experience that people who consider dismemberment are either out of their minds, or so enraged as to be extremely dangerous.

@Char. Limit: Don't be so sure... sometimes people really make a try... it's not just about an empty threat, or at least, you can't treat them that way. Like an attempt or claim to suicide, a claim to murder... the more detailed the more worrying... is something you MUST take seriously.

edit: ...And people wonder why I own sidearms...
Don't worry, I never treat a death threat as empty. It has caused people to tell me more than once that they were "just joking", to which I tell them to never joke about killing themselves or others.
nismaratwork
Mar12-11, 08:58 PM
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
Don't worry, I never treat a death threat as empty. It has caused people to tell me more than once that they were "just joking", to which I tell them to never joke about killing themselves or others.
Tell me about it... nothing goes over like a lead balloon when you have to get someone on a 72 hour hold because they made the wrong idle threat of one kind or another. Nobody is a winner there...
rootX
Mar12-11, 09:29 PM
P: 1,295
I was honestly thinking of it as a punishment.
I was thinking of it as a reward. People like Gokul43201, humanino, WhoWee, drankin, aperion, lisab, mheslep and those who regularly help in reporting threads and show good sense of judgment in reporting can provide good help in moderating tasks in addition to providing diversity and knowledge (from their age experience if not profession) while not committing themselves to a full role of a mentor. Even, Russ and Ivan are good because they would show less mercy in enforcing guidelines against people with opposite political opinions if not same
Evo
Mar12-11, 09:34 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
I was thinking of it as a reward. People like Gokul43201, humanino, WhoWee, drankin, aperion, lisab, mheslep and those who regularly help in reporting threads and show good sense of judgment in reporting can provide good help in moderating tasks in addition to providing diversity and knowledge (from their age experience if not profession) while not committing themselves to a full role of a mentor .
Believe me, it's no reward, gokul used to be a mentor. No mentor wants to get involved in P&WA as a moderator, that's how bad it is.
rootX
Mar12-11, 09:36 PM
Believe me, it's no reward, gokul used to be a mentor. No mentor wants to get involved in P&WA as a moderator, that's how bad it is.
Yes, I noticed he retired. I thought he might accept tiny mentor role than a full mentor role
Evo
Mar12-11, 09:37 PM
Mentor
Yes, I noticed he retired. I thought he might accept tiny mentor role than a full mentor role
gokul is a smart man, as a former mentor, he has input and helps out a great deal.
nismaratwork
Mar12-11, 09:39 PM
I imagine the fun is in direct proportion to the lattitude you're given to enforce rules. If you have little, then you'll have little... if you can follow your own way in accordance with more general PF guidelines... sounds good.

In general, if you can read a lot, and very quickly, moderating something like P&WA is just something you need a high turn-over rate for, to avoid burn-out. Cycle a few people in and out, giving each a break... and you have to be willing and able to cut a few throats metaphorically, even those you agree with.

@rootX: so that's a "no" to explaining what you meant? You can PM me if you have something to say that isn't fit for a thread.
rootX
Mar12-11, 09:52 PM
@rootX: so that's a "no" to explaining what you meant? You can PM me if you have something to say that isn't fit for a thread.
I just didn't want to pursue it further nothing good is coming out of it. When you said people are doing this and that in your thread, I went to that thread trying to find that if what you were saying is true but I couldn't find sufficient evidence behind your claims. I didn't find a strong evidence that people were playing straw man arguments or didn't know what's Arab league etc. I didn't find you confronting them about it or stating in your thread that they "don't know what's Arab league" or "are making a straw man argument".
nismaratwork
Mar12-11, 09:57 PM
I just didn't want to pursue it further nothing good is coming out of it. When you said people are doing this and that in your thread, I went to that thread trying to find that if what you were saying is true but I couldn't find sufficient evidence behind your claims. I didn't find a strong evidence that people were playing straw man arguments or didn't know what's Arab league etc. I didn't find you confronting them about it or stating in your thread that they "don't know what's Arab league" or "are making a straw man argument".
Ahhhhh... OK, I simply didn't know what you were referring to. I respectfully disagree, but at least I know what it is we're talking about. Thanks for being direct.
DanP
Mar13-11, 05:50 AM
P: 630
Quote Quote by Hurkyl View Post
Er, why?
In the end it boils down to personal preferences on what you like in others. I like somebody who stands up for his political ideology and its always ready to defend it. Long time ago I really disliked one of the mods here. This has changed largely because I seen he always stood for his ideas.

Furthermore, I believe that some of the ppl here don't even understand what politics is. One of it's definitions is "the opinion you hold with respect to political questions ". And here in this thread we have dogoodders who would like to take "opinion" out of political discussion. It's a sick joke if you ask me.

Every-time I seen in my life a person who wanted to take opinion out from politics, the only thing that person wanted in fact is that others don't voice their opinions, and only he is allowed to run his political bullying alone. What those persons try to create in fact is a platform which is suited to their style of expressing opinion, thus effectively silence others indirectly. And yes, even on this highly intellectual site there are bullys. Of two kinds mainly. Some use logic BS , other jabs to bully ppl.

So if you want my assessment of the OP ideas, IMO those are there only and only to create a platform suited to his style of exposing opinions, and silence other opinions, which he considers "noise" , polluting his political "facts".

One thing which I agree is opinion should not be allowed to degenerate in conspiracy theories. If you have to draw a limit, this should be it.

Anyway, I think P&WA is sufficiently moderated as it is, and unless you are very sensitive person there is no need for further moderation. Compared to other FFA politics forums , this one here is relatively civil. And it allowed a wide range of humans to express their opinions, because it is not particularity tailored to strongly favor expression by certain personalities. Its somewhere in-between.
nismaratwork
Mar13-11, 10:23 AM
Quote Quote by DanP View Post
In the end it boils down to personal preferences on what you like in others. I like somebody who stands up for his political ideology and its always ready to defend it. Long time ago I really disliked one of the mods here. This has changed largely because I seen he always stood for his ideas.

Furthermore, I believe that some of the ppl here don't even understand what politics is. One of it's definitions is "the opinion you hold with respect to political questions ". And here in this thread we have dogoodders who would like to take "opinion" out of political discussion. It's a sick joke if you ask me.

Every-time I seen in my life a person who wanted to take opinion out from politics, the only thing that person wanted in fact is that others don't voice their opinions, and only he is allowed to run his political bullying alone. What those persons try to create in fact is a platform which is suited to their style of expressing opinion, thus effectively silence others indirectly. And yes, even on this highly intellectual site there are bullys. Of two kinds mainly. Some use logic BS , other jabs to bully ppl.

So if you want my assessment of the OP ideas, IMO those are there only and only to create a platform suited to his style of exposing opinions, and silence other opinions, which he considers "noise" , polluting his political "facts".

One thing which I agree is opinion should not be allowed to degenerate in conspiracy theories. If you have to draw a limit, this should be it.

Anyway, I think P&WA is sufficiently moderated as it is, and unless you are very sensitive person there is no need for further moderation. Compared to other FFA politics forums , this one here is relatively civil. And it allowed a wide range of humans to express their opinions, because it is not particularity tailored to strongly favor expression by certain personalities. Its somewhere in-between.
Hmmm... you know, I think I agree with you. Yeah, I do... I know what you mean about coming to respect someone for their views, even if you don't share them too. No kind of respect like grudging respect...

Register to reply